Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of low brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 AM
clangjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effects of low brake fluid?

I recently had my brake pads replaced and brake fluid flushed on my 86 turbo. I did not change the rotors as the shop said they seemed to be fine.

The old pads that were on the car were VERY noisy, squealing like a pig when coming to a stop. The new pads don't have nearly the stopping power of the old ones. When I REALLY step on the brake pedal they seem to be strong enough. The new pads now have about 500 miles on them with no improvement. Could it be that they didn't put enoughbrake fluid into it?

Any other ideas? I don't know what the old pads were, but the new ones are Hawk HP2's I believe.

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM
joonas
Racer

Is the brake pedal firm on spongy? If you have to pump the brakes to add stopping power there is air in the system. If the pedal is firm but car does not stop like before the difference is from pads.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joonas
If you have to pump the brakes to add stopping power there is air in the system.
+1

If the fluid level got too low, there's a good chance you have air in the system. Time to bleed the brakes again!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
+1

If the fluid level got too low, there's a good chance you have air in the system. Time to bleed the brakes again!
If that happens you could have air in your clutch line as well since the clutch master cylinder hose is annoyingly high on the brake reservoir. I'm working on making a seperate bottle just for the clutch but not much room there.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes are spongy as well... I'm just trying to wait for the pads to go out again before rebleed.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Stien
Burning Brakes

I bled the hell out of my brakes and it turned out that I needed a new caliper, which turned into two, which turned into more than a day's project 'cause it's raining!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I don't think low fluid is your problem here. The first indicator of low brake fluid would be your clutch pedal and not spongy brake. If you look at the Master Cylinder the line that feeds the clutch slave is the first affected with low brake fluid.

It seems the new pads is your problem. Anytime you install new pads and not resurface or replace the rotor you have uneven mating surfaces between the new pad and rotor. What you need to do is break in the pad to the rotor. You can do this by driving the car to around 50mph and brake really hard several times. maybe 10 times or so untill you have full mating surface between the new pad and rotor. This should improve your braking.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

have you checked the level of the brake fluid? if its all good there the previous post is the next step
Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 PM
clangjr
Racer

Originally Posted by cas951
I don't think low fluid is your problem here. The first indicator of low brake fluid would be your clutch pedal and not spongy brake. If you look at the Master Cylinder the line that feeds the clutch slave is the first affected with low brake fluid.

It seems the new pads is your problem. Anytime you install new pads and not resurface or replace the rotor you have uneven mating surfaces between the new pad and rotor. What you need to do is break in the pad to the rotor. You can do this by driving the car to around 50mph and brake really hard several times. maybe 10 times or so untill you have full mating surface between the new pad and rotor. This should improve your braking.
I have already bedded the new pads. I've got 500 miles on it after the change.

I will check the brake fluid and the hoses into the master cylinder. I just can't believe these pads that I heard so many good things about are this weak.
Chuck
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

500 miles is really nothing if you haven't done really hard braking continously.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with cas951. I've done that a few times where I put in new pads and forget to break them in. Even hundreds of miles later it doesn't stop like it used to.

And when changing pads from old to new, the caliper pistons are pushed back into their bores, which pushes fluid back into the reservoir. I.e. there's a surplus of fluid. Thus it's unlikely there was a lack of fluid, to cause air in the system. But I had it happen once where I pushed the piston in too fast and busted a piston seal!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
And when changing pads from old to new, the caliper pistons are pushed back into their bores, which pushes fluid back into the reservoir. I.e. there's a surplus of fluid. Thus it's unlikely there was a lack of fluid, to cause air in the system. But I had it happen once where I pushed the piston in too fast and busted a piston seal!
+1. If anything your reservoir may have been overfull when the calipers was pushed in.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

How did you bed the pad? Sounds like you might have glazed them. As you move to a more aggressive pad, they become more sensitive to the bedding process. BTW, there is no such pad called a hawk hp2.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:17 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stien
I bled the hell out of my brakes and it turned out that I needed a new caliper, which turned into two, which turned into more than a day's project 'cause it's raining!
GOt that t-shirt....unfortunately it was my daughters honda civic on Christmas eve.

Quick Reply: Effects of low brake fluid?