Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side automatic lock stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side automatic lock stopped working

Hi all,
I have an 86 turbo with the automatic central locking option. The passenger side door lock does not respond to the lock button on the center console. However, if I stick my key in the passenger side door, there is some tension but the drivers side door locks and unlocks with the passenger side. If I stick my key in the drives side door and try to unlock and lock the car, the passenger side does not respond. It used to lock or unlock with the drivers side.

Finally, I have no idea how the drivers side window is related to the passenger side door lock, but when the window is fully up and i push the "up" button, the passenger door lock will twitch.

Hopefully I could get some help before I take the door panel off. I usually have bad luck with interior trim and always crack something.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPmadA
Hi all,
I have an 86 turbo with the automatic central locking option. The passenger side door lock does not respond to the lock button on the center console. However, if I stick my key in the passenger side door, there is some tension but the drivers side door locks and unlocks with the passenger side. If I stick my key in the drives side door and try to unlock and lock the car, the passenger side does not respond. It used to lock or unlock with the drivers side.

Finally, I have no idea how the drivers side window is related to the passenger side door lock, but when the window is fully up and i push the "up" button, the passenger door lock will twitch.

Hopefully I could get some help before I take the door panel off. I usually have bad luck with interior trim and always crack something.
Huh... can't help you with the electrical issue, but the door panels are like 12 screws and a few clips embedded in the panel itself along the side of the door that opens. Pretty easy to get off.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an actuator if you need t.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The passenger side door lock does not respond to the lock button on the center console. However, if I stick my key in the passenger side door, there is some tension but the drivers side door locks and unlocks with the passenger side. If I stick my key in the drives side door and try to unlock and lock the car, the passenger side does not respond. It used to lock or unlock with the drivers side.
My locking system does exactly the same thing yours now does. Has for the last 2+ years I have owned the car. Had the drivers door panel off. No luck.

Will be watching please post your fix. PIX would be great. I have been in there and didn't accomplish anything.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds like the plastic linkage broke on the passenger side.

Fairly easy to check and replace. Here's Tom M'Guinn's classic write up on it:

Plastic Door Lock Linkage Repair
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Luis. Do you by any chance happen to know the part number of that plastic linkage?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
ahsan127
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Luis. I had the same issue with my car and it turned out to be the linkage.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Luis. Do you by any chance happen to know the part number of that plastic linkage?
Sorry, but I haven't checked Rennlist in a few days. It's part number 944.537.511.00

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Passenger side automatic lock stopped working