Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late manual tie rods power to manual steering SOLUTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is essentially the exact same as an early tie rod end.
What I mean is that the early tie rod end is not long enough to reach the spindles of a late 944. They need to be 2-3" longer. The tie rod ends you posted would be nice but they needed to be 2-3" longer than the early 944 maual tie rod ends which they dont look to be (if they are, awesome!). Say the early 944 manual tie rod ends are 4" from center of ball joint to the very end of the threads, I would need the same one but that is 6-7" from center of ball joint to the very end of the threads. This hypopthetical tie rod end could not be found. But say it does exist, im not sure I would try it anyway as the extra threaded section that is in between the inner and the end of the tie rod end would exceed 5 diameters and thus more prone to buckeling. Thats the reason for the late PS female tie rod ends and threaded rod. As you can see, only ~1-1.5" of thread are showing. See, the OE male tie rod ends thread into the inner tie rod so far that minimal thread is left so say it threads into the inner tie rod 3/4 of its entire threaded length (I saw roughly 3" of slightly discolored threads on the stock early manual tie rod end). If I was even able to thread maybe 5 complete turns (thats .30"), it wouldnt be very strong. But even with the stock early manual tie rod end, with it just started into the inner, it was 2-3" away from the spindle. So no way at all would they work.

I needed something to thread into the inner rod atleast 3 inches and then make up ~2" before threading into the outer.
This just means what I did, knowing what I wrote in the original post and just above this quote.

If you could find out how long the threaded section of that tie rod end you posted is, I would be interested. But in honesty, I think the set-up I have now (calculations wise) is much stronger than if I did simply find a longer threaded tie rod end unless I could find a sleeve or something.

Hopefully this answers your question?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Two of them are a little cheaper than the $40 threaded rod plus new later style ends.
I almost forgot! Be careful if you decide to buy the threaded rod. If you look, theres a 300mm (12") length rod for 37.31 and a 1m (40") rod for 28.95. Im not sure why the longer one is cheaper but I wasnt about to argue with them. Hahahaha.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
Dude.....what the hell?
Blah, blah, blah. Trying to confuse me with the facts, eh? Your car has too many cylinders. And what makes you so special that you don't have to worry about a cam belt breaking? Because you can swap water pumps in 20 minutes somehow makes you special? I'll bet that LT-1 isn't all gravy. I heard you have to wear a mullet in order for the thing to start. You really are missing the point of the stock engine. The point man, the point!

I haven't driven one of these cars, nor do I have direct experience, but that doesn't mean you know more about it than me! And don't get me started on that crappy LS series of engines. I don't know anything about them, but they don't compare in any way to a Toyota mill.

I prefer factory solutions. That way when someone walks by when my hood is up, they see "Porsche" on the cam cover, and they know, I own a Porsche. Because what people think is most important.

Also, your car is dangerous. I had a real life race car driver tell me so.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I don't suppose you have 6 or 7inches of that M14 rod left do you?

I need to do the exact same thing to my 951...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Sure do! PM me your address and Ill send you the amount I used.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:36 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Blah, blah, blah. Trying to confuse me with the facts, eh? Your car has too many cylinders. And what makes you so special that you don't have to worry about a cam belt breaking?
Hey, my cam belt is a freakin metal chain! And, if it does break, no worries here, just pull the cover off and 15 bucks later im as good as new!

Because you can swap water pumps in 20 minutes somehow makes you special?
Well yeah! Very special. 6 bolts and 15 minutes later (20 for you cause well....you suck) and 30 bucks; again....good as new.

I'll bet that LT-1 isn't all gravy. I heard you have to wear a mullet in order for the thing to start. You really are missing the point of the stock engine. The point man, the point!
Mullets eeh? Corvette owners have mullets, Cadillac owners have mullets, Roadmaster and Caprice owners have mullets. How come when you think V8 you think mullet? I think classic Porsche completely pure and think old, bald, and boring. Hmm. The LT is all gravy. Stand alone engine. Rock solid and maintenance is nearly none. Parts are always stocked for me with lifetime warranties. No waiting for parts through the mail. And the sky isnt the limit when i want mo-power. I got aftermarket support bro! Do you know how many derivatives of this engine there are? I can stroke this engine for about the cost of a timing belt change/water pump that the Porsche dealership charges. And I laugh.

I haven't driven one of these cars, nor do I have direct experience, but that doesn't mean you know more about it than me! And don't get me started on that crappy LS series of engines. I don't know anything about them, but they don't compare in any way to a Toyota mill.
AHa...ha...ha. My power band is about as flat as yo girl brotha. I get ridiculous torque in all gears! Going sideways in 3rd gear with a stock engine here. Where are you when you do that? 28K RPM??? Knowing is doing. You cant know anything about how this car runs, drives, or costs until you do it yourself. You cant simply read a post by another (who hasnt done it) and proclaim you know whats up. If you took a ride in one, the only thing you would know is that its fast. From that, can you estimate anything else? Its like reading one of the new england jounals of medicine and youre now a doctor.

I prefer factory solutions. That way when someone walks by when my hood is up, they see "Porsche" on the cam cover, and they know, I own a Porsche. Because what people think is most important.
Ah! Now I got your number! Youre one of those.....types. HAhaha. No one wants to see that. Its like pulling your pants down and seeing crotch rot. Keep you hood closed.
Also, your car is dangerous. I had a real life race car driver tell me so.
WEll, if youre scared, stay in bed. But yeah, there is something soothing about driving a car that you know cant beat that minivan in the next lane and so you dont even try. Those commuters in the camrys and solaras and the soccermoms and even the guys in their work trucks all smoke you foo. Funny thing is, they arent even aware you are trying. Ive been there. My car did have a 944 engine in it at one point. Driving a beautiful car that looks like it could cause a sonic boom but couldnt keep up with a 13 thousand dollar hyundai didnt make me happy. I was not happy either with the always present fear of a broken timing belt. And it wasnt about money to fix the problems if they occured (if it was, there wouldnt be a V8 in there and or it would be gone) it was because i liked the car so much. I dont want a DAMN camaro/corvette! I want a 944. Just before you do, DONT TELL ME TO BUY A CAMARO OR 928!!! I WANT 944!!!!!....but one that will put ricers in there place.

Now, cue the "the car wasnt meant for speed" crap and the always plesant small wee wee jokes. I have a bigger engine so I am not well endowed. Thats entertainment
Old 03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

944-LT1, can you change the thread title to "Late manual tie rods power to manual steering SOLUTION and why you should get a chevy v8 and stick it in your car"?

Jus sayin... you guys are show offs! DVC, you know how much I admire your car, and 944-LT1 I have a couple questions I'm going to PM you with.

Great work, both of you.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 AM
944-LT1
Racer

and why you should get a chevy v8 and stick it in your car
Just screwing around. Hahaha. Dont actually mean any of it. DVC does actually suck though. LS engines are girly.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
Going sideways in 3rd gear with a stock engine here. Where are you when you do that? 28K RPM??? Knowing is doing. You cant know anything about how this car runs, drives, or costs until you do it yourself.
I perceive your use of a V8 as a direct indication of the inadequacy of my stock engine. And for that I RESENT you!

It is time I resort to barraging you with a flurry of homosexual insults. After that I'm going to photoshop you and your car. It won't be flattering nor will it be all that funny.

Don't you people have your own forum some where? What's really funny is that you need all that displacement to make any power. rolf....

But first, I'm going to let you know that it would have been acceptable had you used an import motor. Something like a VR3G0789, or perhaps an HG-3051RBA. No, they are not proven and probably won't work, but that's what I'd use. Yours has too many cylinders and you missed the point of the stock engine. In fact, I'd rather get ran over by a bulldozer than swap a V8!

(P.S. The only reason I PM'd you, is because I don't want anybody else to know I dig your car. I expect I'll have your reply regarding the swap details by tonight.)
Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your grammar is too good....
Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 AM
944-LT1
Racer

I perceive your use of a V8 as a direct indication of the inadequacy of my stock engine. And for that I RESENT you!
DOnt resent me! Resent yourself for not being able to do the conversion (I know you really want to) and spending all your loot keeping that 44 engine running....if thats what you call it.

It is time I resort to barraging you with a flurry of homosexual insults. After that I'm going to photoshop you and your car. It won't be flattering nor will it be all that funny.
You would actually waste the time doing that!?!....

Don't you people have your own forum some where? What's really funny is that you need all that displacement to make any power. rolf....
Replacement for displacement? Sounds fimiliar. What "replacement for displacement" do you have?

But first, I'm going to let you know that it would have been acceptable had you used an import motor. Something like a VR3G0789, or perhaps an HG-3051RBA. No, they are not proven and probably won't work, but that's what I'd use. Yours has too many cylinders and you missed the point of the stock engine. In fact, I'd rather get ran over by a bulldozer than swap a V8!
Oh how I love hypocrisy. I have no clue what those motors are....Not something worthwhile overall anyway. Wait....Import as in asian??? In a German car???? Never!!! Id put a 914 engine in before that!!
(P.S. The only reason I PM'd you, is because I don't want anybody else to know I dig your car. I expect I'll have your reply regarding the swap details by tonight.)

I am starting to get the feeling that Im taking part in something I dont know anything about....

Quick Reply: Late manual tie rods power to manual steering SOLUTION