Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The quest for a crack free dash...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pcutt
Looks nice!

What brand and part number of cement are you using?
Standard DAP Weldwood Contact Cement found at Home Depot. Says it can withstand direct sunlight and maintains bond to 150+ degrees. Also when you apply it to the vinyl, the chemicals soften it to make it wrap and stretch better.

Originally Posted by philcav7
Is this standard vinyl (like you would get from an craft store) or an automotive grade that is designed to stretc wrap over interior panels?

Back in the day, when my buddy worked at an auto accessories/custom shop, they had "stretchable vinyl" that was quite pliable with a heat gun. I used it to wrap some kick panel speaker pods and it was 10x easier to work with than the regular craft store, fabric backed stuff.
The stuff I used is automotive grade knit backed vinyl. Its relatively thick but the knit on the back makes it stretch a lot more than 'regular' vinyl. It is very similar to the knit backed stuff you can get at JoAnn's. Just make sure you don't use the cheap stuff as it looks ridiculous (super shiney and a nasty texture) and doesn't stretch hardly at all...just go to JoAnn's or Hancock's and try out some of the vinyls.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I used the same vinyl when I recovered my dash.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/322564-new-interior-euro-bumper-and-driving-lights-long-with-pics.html

Initially, I cut slits in the vent holes and glued the flaps down into the holes, but the adhesive did not hold. I ended up making some oval bezels out of metal and inserting them into the holes. The bezel presses the flaps against the vent hole, while allowing air flow through the vents. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of good ideas here. Can anyoen say how much the 928 defrost vent insert costs. I think that might be worthy as I worry that the vent holes will get weak in the sunlight/heat....Bruce

Quick Reply: The quest for a crack free dash...