Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

subwoofer placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i knew this would brring one smart#$@ soon or later

I compel one of you.....I like several of these custom jobs....to type up a writeup on the step by step and list of materials....everyone would be grateful.

I know I would

i really like doing things myself but if someone can put together something for under $100 i would be a buyer
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with just an 8" or a 10" I put mine in the spare tire well, ( awaiting comment from Keith about that installation ) .. I kind of jimmy rigged some old towels in there to make sure there was no metal on metal to create rattling. I bought one of those amp/ sub combo's and it fits fine in there. And one 10" is more than enough bass. I wasn't planning on even getting a sub untill I realized I purchased Infiniti speakers that were high treble. I had to get something to take away the base so I don't blow out my speakers when Brittany Spears or Michael Jackson would come on and I obviously had to turn it up. The only annoying thing I'm facing with having a sub in the car is the plastic sunroof hinges like to rattle a litte. And I like the fact that with my 10" I can have it turned up loud, and feel/ hear good bass in the car, but as soon as you go outside of the car you can bearly hear it. My sub installation might not be the prettiest thing in the world, but you can't see it anyway so I'm not worried about it at all.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I bought an infinity basslink and plopped it down behind the rear seat.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
philcav7
Racer

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
That's HUGE for a pair of 8's.
Wow! Agreed, that's huge for most 8's. You may want to consider a baffle to hold two 10's.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 75ohm
I bought an infinity basslink and plopped it down behind the rear seat.
i also have that...
I really don't understand why people spend soo much on sound systems. I think anything more than one 10" is wayy too much, espescially for a small hatchback. There was some tool on my old boat that spend $3,000 on a full audio system in his new jetta, and all it did was make the whole car sound like it was rattling apart.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

this would be a good time to add to the thread the best amp and sub for the price.

also my favorite at this point are the recessed ones and even better the hidden ones
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

I think it'd be a cool idea to just cut a peice of wood to fit into those side cubbies behind the wheel wells. and cut holes in them to fit in an 8 inch on each side, and the amp could easily fit underneath one, depending on the size. Cheap, and I think it'd sound good too.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

tyler I agree
I hate pulling up next to cars rattling apart...in fact i start cracking up seeing the idiot looking guy behind the wheel (never a girl).

I want some real quality sounds...but not need a hearing aid in 5 years

here is another question??? what has anyone done with the center speaker in the dash ( I am considering fiberglassing it solid...

Where have you put extra speakers?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
philcav7
Racer

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
this would be a good time to add to the thread the best amp and sub for the price.

also my favorite at this point are the recessed ones and even better the hidden ones
For subs. Image Dynamics IDQ....hands down the best subwoofer I have ever touched and is a very strong value.http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/public_release/

There full range systems are sweet too.

I would pass on the center speaker unless you are an audiophile and are trying to complicate things. If you insist, a dash mounted pod or the dash air vents would probably be the best way to go. While you are at it you should mold up a set of kick panel pods for your components for improved balance/ sound stage.

Personally, I would stick with the basics...like you said, you're not a 17 year old driving around in a Honda Civic. Heck, I've been driving around listening to a 20 year old cassette copy of the The Police on side A and Ziggy Marley on side B.

For amps... doesn't really matter. Just get a class D amp that is a good deal (just stay away from Jensen or other Pep Boys crap). For an average system, there is minimal benefit going from an average amp to a 'high end' amp. Also be sure to get an amp that is appropriate for the sub. Most 10" subs will be happy with 250W or so.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

That center speaker used to be mono for the 924's and is designed to fit a speaker, then porsche upgraded to stereo sound. Some people say it sounds good with a 5 speaker system, others say having a 5th speaker up front ruins the stereo effect. I have seen people fiberglass it solid, put gauges in it, or my favorite, a custom GPS holder!!! my handheld GPS would fit perfectly on there, one day I'll see what I can make out of it...
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

man those Image Dynamics are pricey.
2 questions?
what is the smallest subs out there 6?8? and how does a car souns with two of them vs one
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
philcav7
Racer

man those Image Dynamics are pricey.
2 questions?
what is the smallest subs out there 6?8? and how does a car souns with two of them vs one
There about $150-$170 for a 10", but they are amazing.

Two subs with double the amplifier size will be louder than a single sub, around 6dB louder. There will also be more force(rattles) as you increase cone area and mechanical force.( Think 17 year old in a Civic)

JL and other do make 6.5's but, usually 8's are the smallest subs offered by most.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

so phil ...one sub is suffice and $150 isn't bad -
Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Kburke
Racer

No clue where to put one
i know you guys have done it
WHERE
I have my amp in the back right cubby and my sub will be put into the spare tire well I used to have to 10s but I blew them haha I like my music loud try not to have it showing and take some pics
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Kburke
Racer

tyler I agree
I hate pulling up next to cars rattling apart...in fact i start cracking up seeing the idiot looking guy behind the wheel (never a girl).

I want some real quality sounds...but not need a hearing aid in 5 years

here is another question??? what has anyone done with the center speaker in the dash ( I am considering fiberglassing it solid...

Where have you put extra speakers?
Wtf there is a center speaker in the dash I personally like my alpine 50 for each they sound great also do remember that to want ahead unit that has built in cross overs so the bass only goes to your sub otherwise those small speakers are going to not last you as long. Also the head unit is what gives the right power to the speakers making it really loud but not crappy sounding good luck

Quick Reply: subwoofer placement