Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

subwoofer placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I went shopping with some help from crutchfield
of course i can't afford this but what a killer system I just designed with them online
500IVAD105 Alpine IVA-D105 DVD Receiver
500KCE422I Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface Cable - 2006-up
500NVEN872 Alpine NVE-N872A DVD Navigation System
669PP500 Posi-Products Connector Kit 16 pieces for Car Stereos
107MM2084 Polk Audio MM 2084 8" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
500MRPM450 Alpine MRP-M450 400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
142PA8 EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge w/Patch Cord
263CRIMPKT Crimp Tool Kit 150+ Pieces
211UCT12 StreetWires UCT12 per foot 12 gauge Blue/Copper Speaker Wire
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 PM
tk's944
Pro

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Best audio prices I have ever found

Clutchfield is a great website but the prices are really high.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

yes the prices are huge...but so is there website and customer service. I hate paying full retailo...but these guys work for it
Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

I have one 8inch sub behind the passenger seat and a rear seat delete that now has speakers were the seats were. I put the amp underneath the speakers in the one of the rear seat wells. Im not huge into bass but the 8 gives quite the kick. Very Tasteful, not going to blow your head up.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, since i am too far away (europe) and the usd/euro rate does me a favour, is there anything I can get through ebay that fits a 951 and sounds well ?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:37 PM
84_944guy
Instructor

Ok sorry it took me so long to post. The eights are the best sound quality eights I have ever found for the price and at 60 bucks per speaker, they are really cheep. Also having a ported box with a lot of volume adds to sound quality by lowering the frequency unlike the car audio speakers that have to add weight to the cone the speaker to force them to have a lower resonate frequency. so that when you put them in a small sealed box 1.1 cubic feet it will raise them back up to have a normal frequency. When audio places make speaker like this it’s all for people who just won’t to make there car rattle apart

Heres a link to a good place that cares about sound quality
http://www.madisound.com
Old 03-08-2008, 03:09 PM
PennyWise
Racer

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
I compel one of you.....I like several of these custom jobs....to type up a writeup on the step by step and list of materials....everyone would be grateful.
Do a search for 'MDF' posted by PennyWise.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84_944guy
Ok sorry it took me so long to post. The eights are the best sound quality eights I have ever found for the price and at 60 bucks per speaker, they are really cheep. Also having a ported box with a lot of volume adds to sound quality by lowering the frequency unlike the car audio speakers that have to add weight to the cone the speaker to force them to have a lower resonate frequency. so that when you put them in a small sealed box 1.1 cubic feet it will raise them back up to have a normal frequency. When audio places make speaker like this it’s all for people who just won’t to make there car rattle apart

Heres a link to a good place that cares about sound quality
http://www.madisound.com
*** Disclaimer ***

First off, I'm not trying to be mean or rude, so don't take it this way.

*** End of Disclaimer ***

What 8's are you running? Even in a ported enclosure 1.2cu.ft is pretty large for an 8". You'll have to run pretty low wattage to keep the 8's within their linear excursion limits.

The box size you are using is almost big enough to run a pair of Polk SR104 10's in their optimal ported enclosure size.

Quite honestly, whenever designing a sound quality system, I always preferred sealed over ported. You get a linear response, with no hump in output at the port frequency. Sealed also doesn't suffer the massive frequency roll-off below the port frequency. My aim was to feel the subsonics, something about having speakers shake the seats to inaudible frequencies

For high volume systems, I'd go ported, as you just can't beat the increase in sound and efficiency from having the ports.

Pure SPL has to be back to sealed, as you need all the control you can have.

It almost sounds like you might be running home audio subs, which would likely account for the usage of such a large ported enclosure. However in a car, cabin gain can make up for a speakers short comings in the lower octaves. In a home, you do get some benefits of room gain, but nothing like the boost in output you get in a car, so for home the box has to make up for the lower octaves, hence the larger size of home enclosures.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

I'm trying to figure out the system for my Cabrio, but this is the esperience I've had with autosound. I used to install systems for friends in the mid 80's so that's the experience I've had. I'm not a big believer in throwing money away on a sound system for a car.

In my 91 suburban I had:
Blaupunkt CD receiver
Kenwood EQ, small one w/ built in sub out.
3.5 inch Pioneers in the dash
6.5 2-way blaupunkt in the front doors,
6x9 Blaupunkt 2 way in the rear
2 Rockford fosgate series 1 subs in one box with separate sealed enclosures for each, box volume about 1.5 cu ft. per sub
1 4 way Profile California Series Amp about 50W per Ch max
1 2 way profile 200W amp bridged mono to subs.

This sounded awesome in the Suburban, even with the flowmaster muffler, the bass was clean and tight, It sounded clean and didn't rattle the car apart. I'm sure this same size system would sound great in a 944, much smaller volume, allowing for better sound at lower volumes. Remember, you want power for reserves when the music needs it. To double the sound you need almost 10x the amplifier.

This is more or less what I'm putting in the cabrio once I figure out where to mount the sub, I've got an 8" 2ohm Kicker Solo-baric sub I need to custom mount in an enclosure. I think I can mount it in the passenger footwell above the passenger's feet. I still have to crawl in there and take a look at what I can do. I've never worked with fiberglass before so it will be a learning experience. I still have the amps from the suburban and a few other amps here at home so I'll see what I can do. I want the install stealth so no one tries to break in and steal it.

One word of advice. Don't blast your stereo near your home. Someone may hear it and come by later and help themselves to it. I learned from experience. My first car a 62 Nova was broken into 'cause I did this. The only thing worth anyting in my soundsystem was the amp and speakers. The stereo was broken, only tuned every 9kHz in AM, FM was iffy and you needed a pencil to eject the cassette (WAYY before CD's). They stole the stereo, even with a big hole in the face from incense that I left on it too long.

You don't need much for good to great sound.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the previous requests....we need a thread on how to properly build the enclosure for an 8in (or two) in the cubbies and of course with a hidden amp. I - for one - prefer hidden....and if the system costs more than the car...forget it
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 AM
84_944guy
Instructor

Yes, I am running high efficiency full range woofers. I just like to have a speaker that covers all the bass. To make up for the lack of bass from the 4by6. Here is a link to the exact woofers im using. Once I get a camera I will post pics of the box.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1386
Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 AM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a single Blaupunkt velocity 10 in a 1.3cubic foot ported box...I'll post a pic tomorrow, I believe I have a few pics of the construction. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp is a really neat tool to use to help in coming up with the cubic footage. As someone already said sonicelectronix is a good place to buy the have really good prices. If you wanted Blaupunkt stuff http://ww w.midwestelectronics.com. I don't know if anyone here has used it but I like MA Audio amps for bang for the buck they are pretty cheap if you need a lot of power, my 10 has an RMS of 1000 watts.

Eon S.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

well done
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are a few pics of my box. It isn't exactly hidden but my glass has 5% on it so I'm not too worried about that. It is still small enough to fit the top in the back too...its a tight squeeze lol.

Eon S.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen some people install small (6-8") compact powered woofers under the front seats of a 944.

Ultimately I want to do something like that or a custom mounted one in one of the rear storage bins.

In my opinion those boxes or exposed powered units in the hatch look lame and scream "steal me".

Quick Reply: subwoofer placement