Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you describe the power band on your 8-valve NA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How would you describe the power band on your 8-valve NA?

My 2.7 seems like it doesn't gain any power past the 3k mark. I'm so used to my 325, which is 24-valve and has variable valve something (I can't keep up with all the BMW jargon), so it gets a BIG power gain after 4k and the speed at which the revs increase skyrockets. I know this technology is a big factor in the difference, but...

I ask because I've seen my spark plug wires arc, grounding out to the engine block when there is too much moisture around (ex: working on coolant system) and also I gapped the plugs myself, so they're probably done wrong. I'm wondering if I am supposed to be getting more high-RPM power than I am getting.

In all seriousness, at 25 mph the car feels like it accelerates just as hard in 3rd as it does in 2nd.

I know some of you guys have got some dyno sheets!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's the thing about 944's - because they were designed for midrange torque (cam, manifolds), when you step on the gas in the low rpm's you thing to yourself, "this thing pulls better than any other 4 cylinder I've driven, sweet!" but then the power delivery never increases, it stays constant...and thats when you join rennlist and start your own "more horsepower from 8 valve n/a" thread
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Hey, hey, I never said anything about trying to get more out of it. Just wanted some confirmation.

The reason I had to start this thread was because searching "NA dyno" just pulls up all the Alina threads, and then that thread about Techno Duck's dyno pull with the crazy mountain range dyno sheet.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My butt dyno tells me the car is happy at around 2500 RPM and a fairly linear acceleration up to about 5.5k before it drops off. Change your wires if its grounding. It will make a world of difference.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

What's funny is that you can tell from the total lack of wear (and the fact that they're not in the factory routing clips) that these wires are at most a few years old. I've had the car a year and these wires are the freshest looking thing in the engine bay that I haven't personally replaced.

I guess they're just really crappy. You can definitely see them arc in the dark though, especially if you get the block wet on the outside. It's zapped me a time or two.

Will getting some "high performance" wires (8mm, 9mm?) really make that much difference? I order from Paragon all the time and would assume I should get some of the ones they have. Any other recommendations?
Thanks for the sharing; this is about what my butt dyno experiences as well.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knfeparty
My 2.7 seems like it doesn't gain any power past the 3k mark. I'm so used to my 325, which is 24-valve and has variable valve something (I can't keep up with all the BMW jargon), so it gets a BIG power gain after 4k and the speed at which the revs increase skyrockets. I know this technology is a big factor in the difference, but...

I ask because I've seen my spark plug wires arc, grounding out to the engine block when there is too much moisture around (ex: working on coolant system) and also I gapped the plugs myself, so they're probably done wrong. I'm wondering if I am supposed to be getting more high-RPM power than I am getting.

In all seriousness, at 25 mph the car feels like it accelerates just as hard in 3rd as it does in 2nd.

I know some of you guys have got some dyno sheets!
Thats funny...you and I own the same cars. My BMW is my wife...always there when I need her. My 944 is my mistress... beautiful and spoiled. My 325 starting acting erratically after buying the Porsche...like it knew. Female intuition? Both are brilliant machines in their own frustrating way......
Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I would describe my NA's power band as a "no-power band".

But seriously, like 944CS said: Amazing kick when you hit the throttle, but that's the end of the drama. Pretty dang linear from the bottom to the top.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
iamgod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i spent 45min under the hood of my car and could find said 'powerband' of which you speak...could you describe it?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do the plug wires because you know they're bad. Always fix the obvious problems before any further diagnosis. Also, "while your in there" get a new set of plugs. Always use the Bosch copper plugs. They come pre - gapped. Just take them out of their box and lightly measure each one to make sure they're the same. They should be. Also another thing worth looking at are the fuel pressure regulator and dampener and all the temp sensors. These are all worth replacing if they are original. You will undoubtedly feel an improvement. Then, as always make sure the rest of the tune-up items are done like cap and rotor, fuel filter, and air filter.
Oh, and to address your question, I would look for a set of factory BERU wires. I have seen aftermarket Bosch and others not fit as nice as they should. There are lots of performance stuff available and my experience is limited with these, however I do know that some of the "performance" wires have no benefit as their material compesition does not complement the Porsche ignition system as a whole. Stock is pretty good stuff and will work at peak for a long time. Bosche plugs are cheap and should be done every couple of oil changes.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by iamgod
i spent 45min under the hood of my car and could find said 'powerband' of which you speak...could you describe it?
It's that rubber thing you wind up to make the car go. Hope that helps.

I did all of the tune up items about a year ago when I got the car, minus the wires since they looked pretty new. Plugs "every few oil changes" seems kind of overdoing it. The ones that came out were very goopy though; I had been running rich.
I don't want to go tearing into the fuel pressure regs and dampners just yet; I just sank a lot of money into a new radiator. I do need to verify that my 02 sensor is still working. I still get the tailpipe turned black by the exhaust.
The car seems to run pretty well. It has even grown out of its idle dip for the most part. It shakes like a mother because the motor mounts are bad, but do I really need to do the regs, dampners, etc? I've done the fan temp switch in the radiator. What other temp sensors are you talking about?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link to some dyno charts from 944 spec cars.

http://members.rennlist.com/m758/944SpecDynoCharts.htm. I feel a nice surge of power from 4000 rpm all the way to 6000 rpm.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
Here is a link to some dyno charts from 944 spec cars.

http://members.rennlist.com/m758/944SpecDynoCharts.htm. I feel a nice surge of power from 4000 rpm all the way to 6000 rpm.
My 83' is the same way. At about 4000 rpm it feels like the engine suddenly wakes up.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

The torque band is pretty impressive on those dyno sheets.

I don't feel like I gain much horsepower as I rev up like you guys are talking about. I should be able to shoot some video in the next week....

Oh wait, my tach doesn't work.

Hmm...well it's already been said that I could probably use some Beru wires that don't ground out, and maybe some verification that my 02 sensor is working and some fuel regs/dampners.

All of the drivetrain stuff is stock. Car has 163k miles. Is it just getting old or is there something I should try to fix up?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
944CS
Drifting

putting a different cam in that 2.7 would wake it up some
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
michel944
Pro

Originally Posted by porschefig
My 83' is the same way. At about 4000 rpm it feels like the engine suddenly wakes up.
So does mine, with the auto tranny it feels stronger when flooring it at 100 mph than at 80 mph !

Quick Reply: How would you describe the power band on your 8-valve NA?