Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
... like a Yugo with two flat tires.
priceless. Hey, wasn't air actually an option?

Shouldn't Yugo be in the urban dictionary by now.

Hi, Z-man
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

The way Sonny explained corner balancing to me was make an X with the four wheels. your are in the middle of the X.

if you adjust the height of one wheel, it affects the other side of the line in the X. when all four are at the same weight, you in the middle of the X are in the center of the mass.

so it isnt so much getting everything to be the same height, but getting every wheel to have the same weight as you toss it around.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
NYPorscheChik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eee gads.... i've been watching this thread.... i have no objection to rolling up my sleaves, trashing my manicure and getting my hands greasy, but this is sounding way more complicated than i can do....i think i will bring mine into the shop and have a professional do it.... i'll stick to changing tires and wiper blades

but jeeper, you are definately my hero....
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPorscheChik
eee gads.... i've been watching this thread.... i have no objection to rolling up my sleaves, trashing my manicure and getting my hands greasy, but this is sounding way more complicated than i can do....i think i will bring mine into the shop and have a professional do it.... i'll stick to changing tires and wiper blades

Jackie, swapping struts and shocks is super easy on these cars. A pretty basic tool set, jack stands and a jack is all you need. Do it yourself and just pay for the alignment!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Jackie, swapping struts and shocks is super easy on these cars. A pretty basic tool set, jack stands and a jack is all you need. Do it yourself and just pay for the alignment!
Yeah, but the torsion bars replacement is a different story. And if you use helper springs, you would still have to re-index the torsion bars.

-Z
Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Thanks Jackie. The actual work wasn't too difficult and you can definately do it. I ran into a bit of trouble because of my brake ducts. I actually had to remove the duct to get to the bolts to remove the struts an to do this I had to remove the rotor and calipers. You shouldn't have to do any of that. Just 2 bottom bolts, 4 top bolts and take it off. If you do go ahead and do it, just remove the lower bolts by loosening the nut side not the bolt side. I did that on the first one and ruined the eccentric bolt and washer. The job is not hard at all though. Especially on the 944S.

Am I still your hero?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

oy veh! the way people will sell themselves just to get out of cone duty never ceases to amaze me.

To follow the theme here i should say:
jeeper you're so wonderful.

as in
Oh waldo you're so wonderful
Oh alfalfa you're my hero

no I am not following the theme. Someone has to expose him for what he is. King of cones or not.
Jeeper you bite!

And i am not working station 5 on the other side of the lot!

there, now i feel much better.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skip
priceless. Hey, wasn't air actually an option?

Shouldn't Yugo be in the urban dictionary by now.

Hi, Z-man
Hello back at ya, Skip!

Glad my little illustration put a smile on yer face!
-Z
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
NYPorscheChik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom R.
oy veh! the way people will sell themselves just to get out of cone duty never ceases to amaze me.

To follow the theme here i should say:
jeeper you're so wonderful.

as in
Oh waldo you're so wonderful
Oh alfalfa you're my hero

no I am not following the theme. Someone has to expose him for what he is. King of cones or not.
Jeeper you bite!

And i am not working station 5 on the other side of the lot!

there, now i feel much better.
huh?? ... blah blah blah.....
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z-man
Yeah, but the torsion bars replacement is a different story. And if you use helper springs, you would still have to re-index the torsion bars.

-Z
I dropped my rear suspension as far as it would go using the rear eccentric bolt adjustment, then used the helper spring/coilovers to push it up 1/2 inch. I probably ended up a tad under original height, but the coilovers are working in tandem with the t-bars. I'd be SOL if I wanted to significantly lower the car, but to avoid the horror of indexing the t-bars, it was well worth it.

Quick Reply: Suspension Setup