Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car purchaser wants deposit back

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 PM
ericmess
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Judson951
A depoist is to take the car off the market. So it was off the market for lets say 3 months. How much is your insurance per month that you had to pay? Do you have a car payment? Where did you list the car for sale at? And how much did that ad cost you to run? All of your time you had in trying to sell it? I would say you are the one who is getting screwed on the deal.

Keep the money relist your car and go on down the road.
I forgot about the money I am paying to insure it...I don't feel like I am getting screwed if I keep all the money, but I do feel like I am getting screwed if I refund it.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

deduct your real expenses (insurance, storage, etc) and refund the rest. I have a feeling that there won't be much left of the $1000 after you do that.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How good of friends with the fellow are you? You are really in between a rock and a hard place as it were.

In my case I ran up against someone who was dishonest. He lied about the refund being refundable and he lied about the condition of the car. You have done neither. The difficulty as I see it was not expressly getting the terms down before hand.

This ones a tough one, Good luck,

IPSC
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 PM
BackInBlack
Advanced

Originally Posted by ericmess
I forgot about the money I am paying to insure it...I don't feel like I am getting screwed if I keep all the money, but I do feel like I am getting screwed if I refund it.
I really don't know why anyone selling a car would enter into this type of deal unless they felt they were getting something out of it (like a higher price than the car really commanded).

As you can see, there is a range of opinions. A "deposit" can mean a variety of things. Both you and the buyer were negligent in not documenting any terms. That's why I say split the difference. You both go away educated and only a bit stung.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 PM
86_951_
Instructor

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
If no paperwork was done and he has proof of payment to you, sorry to say, but you are outta luck. Refund and be done. If push comes to shove, then take whatever it cost to store it during the winter out of the deposit (providing it's not your own garage).
I could not disagree with the above statement anymore. The fact is that there is no paperwork and you have $1000 in hand. There's no way he can legally force you to give him the money back. I agree with the notion of deducting your real expenses from the $1000 and give him the rest back. To me, that's more than fair.

He's the one who did not protect himself by giving you $1000 for no legal reason.

My $.02.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
ericmess
Advanced

Originally Posted by BackInBlack
I really don't know why anyone selling a car would enter into this type of deal unless they felt they were getting something out of it (like a higher price than the car really commanded).

As you can see, there is a range of opinions. A "deposit" can mean a variety of things. Both you and the buyer were negligent in not documenting any terms. That's why I say split the difference. You both go away educated and only a bit stung.
I entered into it because it was cash in hand right away "the deposit". To me that means the car is sold, because the person buying it wouldn't want to lose that deposit. It is just a longer way to go abouts things and the buyer seamed very solid.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
ericmess
Advanced

Originally Posted by IPSC
How good of friends with the fellow are you? You are really in between a rock and a hard place as it were.

In my case I ran up against someone who was dishonest. He lied about the refund being refundable and he lied about the condition of the car. You have done neither. The difficulty as I see it was not expressly getting the terms down before hand.

This ones a tough one, Good luck,

IPSC
Its a friendship established around me selling the car to him. I didn't know him from before.

It is very tough because I was straight forward about the car. Apparently not straight forward enough about the deposit and what a deposit truely means. I never said it was refundable or not refundable initially. It was never asked. I don't like to point fingers and point blame...but i thought that a deposit was implied to be non-refundable unless otherwise stated, otherwise its existance would serve no purpose.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I put up a deposit to buy something, there is not any way that I expect to see that money again. The buyer committed to the sale - with fundage. Game over.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 AM
philcav7
Racer

It's almost common knowledge that deposits given in good faith prior to an exchange of goods/services are non-refundable, unless their was a contingency stating terms of exiting the agreement. Without a written contract, legal decision would probably default to "what would a resaonable person do" and you would probably be keeping the money.

I would add up your storage expenses and discuss the situation with him, that way you both understand each others situation and can come to resolution.

I'm not sure how an emergency $12K dental procedure pops out of nowhere, perhaps....
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

I'd feel mean keeping the money, but man... That was a deposit. You might want to ask him why he wants his deposit back, knowing what the word "deposit" means. See if there is anything he'd be willing to do in order to compensate you (tell friends at work about your car at least).
Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Judson951
A depoist is to take the car off the market. So it was off the market for lets say 3 months. How much is your insurance per month that you had to pay? Do you have a car payment? Where did you list the car for sale at? And how much did that ad cost you to run? All of your time you had in trying to sell it? I would say you are the one who is getting screwed on the deal.

Keep the money relist your car and go on down the road.
Oh yezzir!

If It were me- id be like uh dude sorry I spent it already. Maybe next time
Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rock
Oh yezzir!

If It were me- id be like uh dude sorry I spent it already. Maybe next time
Ha, "Yeah, that was a deposit... I don't have it anymore. Tax season killed me and I just remembered that my daughter has a hefty dental bill."
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM
philcav7
Racer

Originally Posted by 944obscene
Ha, "Yeah, that was a deposit... I don't have it anymore. Tax season killed me and I just remembered that my daughter has a hefty dental bill."
Or you can simply say...

"I don't have the money. I spent it on the storage unit and insurance. Let me call them and explain what's going on...maybe they will give me the money back so I may refund it to you".
Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

or even more simple say.... I spent it on playboys and cocaine lines. Wtf is he gonna do?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

In my case, my failure was not getting the agreement on paper and notarized. Shame on me really. My seller misrepresented the condition and lied about the terms.

Like I said before this one is a tough one. Do ask him what his perception of the term "deposit" means. One bit of advice, keep the lines of communication open and whatever you decide let him know in writing as well as verbally.

Ohhh, and Rock, you really never know what some people will do...

IPSC

Quick Reply: Car purchaser wants deposit back