Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is more reliable, 951 or 928?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
There is already a 928 with 951 pistons with a supercharger pushing 22-24psi. The blower ran out of steam so a new one was fitted this past weekend to raise the boost past 30psi.

Todd (owner / builder of the car) has been unable to fit the proper sized turbo's for this much boost without radically modifying the car.

Not to mention the efficiency of these new blowers is so high, he’s not even looking into the turbo option anymore.
have you guys looked into the new eaton TVS series? theyre twin-screws.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
have you guys looked into the new eaton TVS series? theyre twin-screws.
Yes, and no, they are not on the short list of options.

We only use centrifugal superchargers.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
There is a reason why fart951 is on my ignore list. He is argumentative and loves to insult people. His arguments never contain any facts. He's also famous for posting things and then deleting or changing them, along with his infantile photos.
Tifo, talking about insulting I am the one the gets the insults, by putting the facts together, check hacker's post how many of those are 951's ?
But on the subject of insults I don't remember ever insulting you, on the contrary it was you who was hypocritically talking behind my back and other listers putting us down on the hybrid board, who is the two face cynical individual?
Hacker and the 928 guys I can take their comments because he is actually one of the smartest guys on rennlist, I do enjoy reading his posts and look forward to his responses, he is honest and truthful and has my respect, but you with the one and only rice 944, just the looks not performance what a shame, Tifo D’ricer man, I have no respect only my pitty, hey but look at the bright side at least you got lart's pitty. rolf.

Can someone quote me please so tifo can read my message.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
Tifo, talking about insulting I am the one the gets the insults, by putting the facts together, check hacker's post how many of those are 951's ?
But on the subject of insults I don't remember ever insulting you, on the contrary it was you who was hypocritically talking behind my back and other listers putting us down on the hybrid board, who is the two face cynical individual?
Hacker and the 928 guys I can take their comments because he is actually one of the smartest guys on rennlist, I do enjoy reading his posts and look forward to his responses, he is honest and truthful and has my respect, but you with the one and only rice 944, just the looks not performance what a shame, Tifo D’ricer man, I have no respect only my pitty, hey but look at the bright side at least you got lart's pitty. rolf.

lol that was for you tifosiman.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Yes, and no, they are not on the short list of options.

We only use centrifugal superchargers.
dont like em eh?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel like this is a boring convo because I'm just seeing a bunch of "this message is hidden" and then Hacker talking about stuff.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Luis, how many 928s have you owned and how many miles have you logged in one? a 951 is not the best car in the world and if someone prefers a 928 over a 951, its not directed against you personally and it doesn't mean that a 951 is inferior. Hacker, the 951 and 928 timing belt is not the same as the early 928 has an advantage in that a broken timing belt does not bend valves even though it will disable the car in both cases. The 928 clutch takes almost no effort while the 951 clutch takes an act of god to replace. The 944/951 has a US DOT MANDATORY FACTORY RECALL on hoses which cause many documented cases which is several hundred percent over a normal car probability of engine fire (which is includes a 928) and I think the US department of transportation has more accurate data than a few paying members of the rennlist community. I think they know how to do beta testing on a bell curve to determine what is truly a significant finding statistically.

Luis here it is.

For the 85

Recall Date:
APR 02, 1990

Model Affected:
1985 PORSCHE 944

Summary:
THE HOSE MATERIAL USED IN THE SHORT SECTION OF THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL LINE HOSE, BETWEEN THE FUEL RAIL AND FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, IS SUBJECT TO HARDENING, AND COULD CAUSE FUEL LEAKS BETWEEN THE HOSE AND THE METAL PIPE FITTINGS.

Consequence:
FUEL LEAKS COULD IGNITE ON THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM, OR ANY OTHER SOURCE OF IGNITION, RESULTING IN AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.

Remedy:
REPLACE FUEL LINE HOSE WITH HOSES MADE OF IMPROVED MATERIAL.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
PORSCHE CARS N.A. INC.

Recall Date:
JUN 12, 1986

Model Affected:
1986 PORSCHE 944

Summary:
THE PROTECTIVE SLEEVE COVERING OF THE RETURN FUEL HOSE BETWEEN THE PRESSURE REGULATOR AND FUEL RETURN PIPE WAS SHORTENED LEAVING PART OF THE HOSE EXPOSED. IN SOME INSTANCES THIS PART OF THE HOSE BECOMES KINKED DUE TO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT HEAT AND/OR THE ROUTING OF THE HOSE. CONSEQUENCE OF DEFECT: IF THIS OCCURS IT COULD RESTRICT AND DAMAGE THE RETURN FUEL HOSE WHICH COULD LEAD TO FUEL LEAKAGE AND CAUSE AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.

Consequence:

Remedy:
NEW HOSE WILL BE INSTALLED WITH A LONGER PREFORMED SLEEVE DESIGNED TO PREVENT KINKING. THE REPLACEMENT HOSE WILL BE SECURED WITH SCREW TIGHTENED CLAMPS ON EACH END.

Notes:
PORSCHE CARS N.A. INC. G01

Back to list of 1986 Porsche 944 recalls

For the 87

Recall Date:
APR 02, 1990

Model Affected:
1987 PORSCHE 944

Summary:
THE HOSE MATERIAL USED IN THE SHORT SECTION OF THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL LINE HOSE, BETWEEN THE FUEL RAIL AND FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, IS SUBJECT TO HARDENING, AND COULD CAUSE FUEL LEAKS BETWEEN THE HOSE AND THE METAL PIPE FITTINGS.

Consequence:
FUEL LEAKS COULD IGNITE ON THE HOT EXHAUST SYSTEM, OR ANY OTHER SOURCE OF IGNITION, RESULTING IN AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.

Remedy:

Notes:
PORSCHE CARS N.A. INC.

For the 88

Recall Date:
APR 02, 1990

Model Affected:
1988 PORSCHE 944

Summary:

Consequence:

Remedy:

Notes:
PORSCHE CARS N.A. INC.

We are talking 60+ THOUSAND 944s involved in the recall. Luis, do you understand what you type can send someone wrong information that may cause them financial damage?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lart951
951's, but I know for a fact that the fuel dampner hose burst frequently on the 951's.
You have not been paying attention, see my quote above, I know about the hoses, but those 2 hoses are so easy to replace, rennbay, 944 online, lindsey, paragon practicly every vendor sell the kits to replace them, but that's a insignificant problem compared to a cracked block.

I have parted over fourteen 951's and I have never seen a craked block.

Most of the 951's that I have seen the hoses in question had been replaced by the dealer, so Frank honestly I missed your point.

Last edited by lart951; 02-22-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have. Ask Danno of Guru racing. I gave him the replacement block. You know Henry with the 600hp 968 turbo in Glendale also has a 951 cracked block from a 951 I sold him. These are only the ones I have owned personally. I have fixed more than 30 head gaskets on a 944/951 but none on a 928. As for the fuel problem, I replaced many of them so I know how easy it is to do. The original question is "which is more reliable, 951 or 928?" and not which car has problems that are easy to fix for someone who knows the car intimately. My car has caught fire while I was driving and another one sprung a leak but luckily I smelled it and pulled over immediately. Not many people will do that.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:51 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Legoland951
I have. Ask Danno of Guru racing. I gave him the replacement block. You know Henry with the 600hp 968 turbo in Glendale also has a 951 cracked block from a 951 I sold him. These are only the ones I have owned personally. I have fixed more than 30 head gaskets on a 944/951 but none on a 928. As for the fuel problem, I replaced many of them so I know how easy it is to do. The original question is "which is more reliable, 951 or 928?" and not which car has problems that are easy to fix for someone who knows the car intimately. My car has caught fire while I was driving and another one sprung a leak but luckily I smelled it and pulled over immediately. Not many people will do that.
I am not saying it doesn't happen, bottom line this is not the 944 turbo forum, you should ask the question over there, I know that you are more familiar with 944 n/a's. The cracked blocks that I know about on the 951 are from detonation due to a improper a/f ratio and high boost, rod bearing failure.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

lol that was for you tifosiman.
I'm going to break my rule about engaging you. But this will be my last post on this forum for a great while so here it goes.

You are single-handedly the biggest agitator on the 944/951/928 boards. I'm not going to bother looking up old threads to post examples but anyone who has 1/3 of a working brain can see that you enjoy stirring up crap. Your posts consist of insults, infantile pics, or selling your parts (or some combination there-of).

To call my "two-faced" because I spend time on the V8 board is rather hilarious. If you recall the only people I had anything bad to say about were you and NZ (because at the time NZ was the second biggest instigator on the boards, of course since then he has cleaned up his act and frankly he has much more technical contribution to these forums than you EVER will). There's a reason the V8 guys formed there own forum. Anyone who can't recognize the amount of tech knowlege they have and can contribute is a fool. And to simply dismiss them, antagonize them, and call them knuckle-draggers and rednecks is just wrong. Did someone drop a V8 on your head as a child? If so that does explain a lot. You seem to hate all v8cars and their users/owners. You might want to seek therapy.

You seem to enjoy judging people based on what they drive. To your "ricer" comments aimed at me, all I can say is I am not pretending to be anything with my car and its looks. What I do with my car, its suspension, drivetrain, and body panels is my business. If you can't grasp what my design theory is on it (which I have stated many times) that's your loss. I won't be giving you my pity though because I don't pity people who are malicious.

Frankly, the fact that you and some other specific post-****** are allowed to run rampant on these forums is rather disappointing. Most of Renn is a good group of guys, but to quote an old saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch". You are one of those bad apples.

Smell ya later.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Hacker, the 951 and 928 timing belt is not the same as the early 928 has an advantage in that a broken timing belt does not bend valves even though it will disable the car in both cases.
Hey now, friend of mine lost the timing belt on his 951, did not bend any valves. I lost the cam chain on my 944S and didn't bend any valves either (destroyed both cams...)

So miracles can happen

Last edited by hacker-pschorr; 02-22-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asking about 928 maintanance in a non-928 area is sure to bring false comments by ignorant people who have never owned one. Why not ask on the 928 board? You'll get some honest advice, it wont be all cheerleading.
Wrong side of the tracks Mike?

There are a few of us here that have some 928 experience.

Tifo, see ya around the campus.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the clutch takes much less labour to replace on a 928?

I thought the early 928s had twin disk clutches and looks like the clutch kit costs double what the clutch kit for 944 costs.

I was looking at 928international for parts prices and especially for the early 16 valve 928s the prices aren't so bad for the parts.

except the radiator which isn't something you replace often, and the manual transmissions (rebuild / used) are pretty expensive. Other maintenance stuff like the belts/ water pump/ cap and rotor/ wires are around the same price as as 951 parts.

now no one has answered this, which car is easier to work on? Considering I'm not a mechanic and just learn how to do things by reading sites like clark-garage which is really helpful for the 944 /951. 928 international also has a repair guid like Clarks but not sure if it is as good.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the 928 has a 2-piece bellhousing like the 968 does so its alot easier to get to

Quick Reply: which is more reliable, 951 or 928?