Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any decent lawyer can get the speeding ticket reduced to a "defective vehicle" ticket - at least around these parts.

Afterward, get the V1 and/or slow down.

I remember all too well when a Dentist from Centralia Missouri wrecked his 951 and was killed, and how he did not plan well and the h3ll his family was put through, so plan for the worst - have your death plan completed. Reality check dude.

Anyway, back to the lawyer deal - I paid more than the speeding ticket itself would of initially cost, but speeding tickets can:
1) Cause your insurance to go sky high
2) Cause your employeer's insurance to cancel you from their coverage, potentially costing you a job, if driving is any part of your job
3) Just plain suck.......

Best of luck to you
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

Don't sell the car but man slow down, when I was younger I got hit allot for speeding in Colorado but in California it is easy to speed so I do ok but still there is very little reason to over 100. Take it to the track, find a closed road but going that fast where someone else can come out and hit you or your call fails you and you crash just is not worth it. I would rather see your car in pictures having fun the lose another 944 and the value of these cars goes up a buck.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Originally Posted by tifosiman
So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
"Let me tell you a story: I once knew a guy. He could've been a great golfer, could've turned pro. All he needed was a little time and practice. He decided to go to college instead. Four years. Did pretty well. At the end of his four years his last semester he was kicked out. You know what for? He was night putting. Putting at night ... with the fourteen year old daughter of the Dean. You know who that was, Danny? Go on take a guess.

Bob Hope?

Ha ha nope. That guy was Mitch Cumstein. Pretty good guy."
Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get you the contact info of a really good lawyer if you want, he dropped my 24 over to improper equipment. It did cost me $750 though. I swear he said hes friends with every Judge in that area!

Mark
Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 PM
86_951_
Instructor

Default I've made my decision

So I think I'm going to slow down on the streets and try to take it to the track. If I can get the funds one day I'll get a VOne. But till then I'm going to avoid the police like the plague.

So, here's a newbie question: What's the difference between a Rally event and an Autocross event?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

road rallys are generally timed, but not for speed. if you want to go fast, it is not your kind of thing. It is timed so that the person who wins is who comes closest to the time it is "supposed to take". The challenge is finding yoru way to the checkpoints and doing it at the right speed (usually speed limits)
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
86_951_
Instructor

But,I thought that AutoCross was basically the same thing. Are they synonymous?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went to court yesterday for 65 in a 45... didn't waste my money on a bloodsucking lawyer. Had it dismissed
Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM
86_951_
Instructor

Default Research Reveals:

Nothing like a little research to answer your own question.

Autocross: http://www.peachstatepca.org/driving...intro_2007.asp

Rally: http://www.peachstatepca.org/driving/rally.asp

I'm hoping to start Autocrossing!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 AM
PennyWise
Racer

You guys have it tough with speeding. Here, anything above 180kms is an arrest for court appearance. You get a about a $800 fine (equivalient to local currency) and carry as your were. Anything below 180, you get a $20-$100 fine and carry on as you where. Most fines never arrive in the mail, and so never get paid. Although, they are getting better lately. No insurrance or point penalties. Then again.. we do kill about 13000 people a year of which about 50% are pedestrian running across highways etc

For the record... I've had my 944S2 for 5 year and no tickets.... Gotta love Africa... big sky, big roads, no cops...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the V1. Waste of money.

Just slow down.

Quick Reply: My First Speeding Ticket