Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone looking for an LS1? fer sale on CF

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

a while back when my motor blew i was thinking about modding the 944 to fit the Audi 4.2 motor in there (needs another 2 or 3 inches to fit in), but people recommended I use the 2.7L twin-turbo V6 because insane power can be had from it. i ended up fixing the 2.5 motor.

i think the 944, being a wheelie bin of audi/vw parts is the wrong car to be a purist about..lol.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lapex
i live in ohio and my ls1 powered 944 passed emissions with flying colours. as to the costs;

engine
2500 for conversion kit
750 or so for custom headers from renegade or sanderson
200 or so for wiring harness
150 to reprogramm the ls1 module to talk to your gauges and disable antitheft stuff
most guys are putting an $800 Ron Davis radiator in for better cooling
thats about it for streetable car, so figure 4 grand plus the engine and the car.
Let's see. Making the math easy

$2500 or so for motor, accessories, flywheel, etc.
$2500 conversion kit
$ 800 headers
$ 200 harness
$ 200 programming, senders, etc.
$ 800 Radiator

That's $7000 so far. Is shipping figured in? The motor should get some freshening, that could cost a few hundred. More if you do a cam.
An exhaust system might cost you a fair bit. Converter if you need one.
It would not be hard to get this to add up to $10K, and I do not see anything to make the the power brakes work.

For an NA you'd also need a stronger trans, and an LSD would be wise. There are always some WYAAI stuff too. You'd want to put in lots of new suspension bushings, maybe tbars and springs, rebuild the TT, shifter bushings...

Having done a few motor swaps in cars where they were direct fit (Pontiac 400 to 455 mostly) I have learned that it costs a lot more than you expect. A good rule of thumb is to double your optimistic budget and be mentally prepared to triple it. You might get lucky and find some bargains, or you might be OK with it being really half-assed. You might also be one of those guerrilla GRM motor swappers who can do this stuff for a few hundred bucks and a ton of fabrication work. But for most people I think you really need to be ready to bring ten grand to this particular party. Probably a good bit more if you are inexperienced.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 02-03-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

944-LT1 runs the LT1 small-block on a stock NA tranny. But he starts at lights in 2nd gear, using 1st for idling through parking lots etc. And he launches that sucker...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Parts In LS1 / LT1 Barebones kit

Torque-Tube to Bell Housing Adapter for either LS1 or LT1 *
Pilot Bearing / Adapter
Motor Mount Verticals
Master Cylinder Mount with clevis Rod
Miscellaneous Bolts Nuts and Pins
Parts List (Clutch Disk, Bell housing, Throw-out Assembly, Fittings, and Senders etc.)

Optional
Oil Pan LS1 off the shelf modified steel**
Oil Pan LT1 off the shelf modified steel**
Oil Pan LS1 GM part number modified aluminum**
Headers LS1 off the shelf modified***
Headers LT1 off the shelf modified***
Adapters to use 928 Single Piece BIG Rotor and Caliper on Late Spindles
Urethane Transaxle Mount Late Transaxles All New Not Filled Stock Mounts
Turn Key Converted Cars through Several Partners

* LS1 is a general engine type that includes LS1 LS2 LS6 as well as the LQ / Vortec truck engines, and the newly released GM crate engine LSX. LT1 is a general type including the LT4, and all other Small Block Chevy based engines.

** All oil pans require some modification for proper fit. Included with the parts list is the vendor’s part number and measurements if you would like to do them yourself. We are offering this because it does require welding. Because of some commonly accepted “voodoo” in engine construction we are also offering a GM part number aluminum pan that has been modified to fit the Porsche chassis. Many of the high horse power tuners of LS based engines believe the stock pan rails act as a girdle for block stability. For the builders that subscribe to this theory and would like to use a sheet metal pan our parts list also includes a off the shelf girdle that bolts over the oil pan rails. The modified GM pan has a very stock look and texture to it. Other than the girdle effect, it retains the oil level sensor location and helps reduce engine noise. The initial cuts on the GM pan are all made on a CNC machine.

*** We believe that these headers will be 50 states legal. They are some of the nicer mid length headers that the manufacturer claims a 15-20 horsepower gain with no other modifications. This claim is for both the LS1 and LT1. We are offering them only because they do require welding for the modification. We have an official appointment with a smog referee supervisor that can give us accurate information and ruling on the legality of modifying a CARB compliant header.

http://9xss.com/944.htm

IRRC, the barebones kit costs roughly $1,000 and you can buy the rest of the parts from them
I swear if my 951 blows apart I am buying this kit and putting in an ls1
Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
944-LT1 runs the LT1 small-block on a stock NA tranny. But he starts at lights in 2nd gear, using 1st for idling through parking lots etc. And he launches that sucker...
<broken record>

Recipe for disaster

</broken record>
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so to simply things, to get a running 944 with an ls1 its:

$1000 for the barebone kit
$1500 for the engine (or less according to the guy above who can get an entire car for $1500)

$2500 total + cost of 944

anyone want to make up a simple list that might be more accurate that lists the "absolute minimum cost"?

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
Parts In LS1 / LT1 Barebones kit

Torque-Tube to Bell Housing Adapter for either LS1 or LT1 *
Pilot Bearing / Adapter
Motor Mount Verticals
Master Cylinder Mount with clevis Rod
Miscellaneous Bolts Nuts and Pins
Parts List (Clutch Disk, Bell housing, Throw-out Assembly, Fittings, and Senders etc.)

Optional
Oil Pan LS1 off the shelf modified steel**
Oil Pan LT1 off the shelf modified steel**
Oil Pan LS1 GM part number modified aluminum**
Headers LS1 off the shelf modified***
Headers LT1 off the shelf modified***
Adapters to use 928 Single Piece BIG Rotor and Caliper on Late Spindles
Urethane Transaxle Mount Late Transaxles All New Not Filled Stock Mounts
Turn Key Converted Cars through Several Partners

* LS1 is a general engine type that includes LS1 LS2 LS6 as well as the LQ / Vortec truck engines, and the newly released GM crate engine LSX. LT1 is a general type including the LT4, and all other Small Block Chevy based engines.

** All oil pans require some modification for proper fit. Included with the parts list is the vendor’s part number and measurements if you would like to do them yourself. We are offering this because it does require welding. Because of some commonly accepted “voodoo” in engine construction we are also offering a GM part number aluminum pan that has been modified to fit the Porsche chassis. Many of the high horse power tuners of LS based engines believe the stock pan rails act as a girdle for block stability. For the builders that subscribe to this theory and would like to use a sheet metal pan our parts list also includes a off the shelf girdle that bolts over the oil pan rails. The modified GM pan has a very stock look and texture to it. Other than the girdle effect, it retains the oil level sensor location and helps reduce engine noise. The initial cuts on the GM pan are all made on a CNC machine.

*** We believe that these headers will be 50 states legal. They are some of the nicer mid length headers that the manufacturer claims a 15-20 horsepower gain with no other modifications. This claim is for both the LS1 and LT1. We are offering them only because they do require welding for the modification. We have an official appointment with a smog referee supervisor that can give us accurate information and ruling on the legality of modifying a CARB compliant header.

http://9xss.com/944.htm

IRRC, the barebones kit costs roughly $1,000 and you can buy the rest of the parts from them
I swear if my 951 blows apart I am buying this kit and putting in an ls1
Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
<broken record>

Recipe for disaster

</broken record>
most likely. but he said he has a 951 or S2 tranny stashed away for when it does finally blow up.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

There's a complete (minus engine) 951 on porschehybrids.com for sale.. $3500. It's in Long Island NY. That car would be a really good donor. (not affilitated w/ seller)
It's going to cost me too much to ship to CA so I have to pass. I guess cars that don't run cost A LOT more to ship.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Todd157k
There's a complete (minus engine) 951 on porschehybrids.com for sale.. $3500. It's in Long Island NY. That car would be a really good donor. (not affilitated w/ seller)
It's going to cost me too much to ship to CA so I have to pass. I guess cars that don't run cost A LOT more to ship.
why do they cost more to ship? I'm in Ventura County too btw.

I know of a white turbo in the bay area for sale.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The seller sent me a ton of pics.. the car looks really nice. I can post them in needed

It costs more to ship because they can't drive the car on /off the transporter
Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes they cost more to ship, I paid $800 or so to ship a non-runner halfway across the country. On the plus side, if it does not run they can't joyride it or use it for errands, and try to load it so they do not load/unload it many times. After seeing how cars are loaded and unloaded (and driven) by those transporter people I think that's worth a few bucks.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
The seller sent me a ton of pics.. the car looks really nice. I can post them in needed

It costs more to ship because they can't drive the car on /off the transporter
lol I pulled my 944 onto the trailer with a chain and a hand winch, it wasnt driving either when I bought it, it took about 5 minutes, but I guess they ship them on those huge auto transports so it might be harder?

Quick Reply: Anyone looking for an LS1? fer sale on CF