Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vavle ticking, wrong oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vavle ticking, wrong oil?

Hi!

Lately my 83' 944 NA has had some nasty valve-ticking after running a while, and i don't like it. When i first start off it runs smooth and quiet, but just after the temperature gauge crawls past the 2nd line, i hear the engine start ticking, following the RPM up and down. As the car reaches its "normal" temperature with the needle at the 3rd line (yes, a little past "normal" normal, but I've heard they tend to run a little warmer than other cars) the ticking really gets loud, you can hear it really good from inside the car, and while idle too.

I pop'ed the hood and its clearly coming from the engine, so I was thinking if this could have anything to do with the thickness of the oil? Im not sure what oil I'm running on atm since i bought the car in october, but i've heard that one should run with thinner oil in the winter than summer, and that this might be causing my valves to tick once the oil heats up?

Robert David
Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Running at the third line is not normal. You need to put in a cooler auxillary fan switch. Oil should be a 20w-50 unless you are living in extremely cold climates during the winter months.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

I should put in a fan switch so i can turn on the fan manually? Its a little cold here in norway, gets down to 0 farenheit (around -20 celcius) some rare times, normally around 15 farenheit (-10 celcius) in the wintertime..
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if this applies, but my '83 started getting a lot of lifter rattle on startup. I added a bottle of crank case cleaner, idled the engine as per instructions, changed the oil and filter, now she purrs like a kitty.

I have a special respect for the '83's, they start right up and keep on going.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
jstand22
Pro

The noise you're hearing is the lifters... First check and make sure the oil is not low, as this can cause the noise as well. Since you don't know what kind of oil is in there change it and the filter...its cheap. I use 10-40conventional when the temp is below 25F and I use 20-50conventional when its above 25F. Also you can try adding some Mystery Oil.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, what crack case cleaner did you use? I'm thinking MOA might help my 924...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what IS crank case cleaner? the retard wants to know.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

it cleans the sludge out of your crank case.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Linky
Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you. is this part of anyones regular maintenance, and should i start using it?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
chrism103
8th Gear

Would you guys recommend that over Sea Foam? I've used the foam on multiple cars I've had with stellar results in the past. A lot of smoke at first though.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
what IS crank case cleaner? the retard wants to know.
I didn't want to let this go by without mentioning that is both hilarious and thanks for asking...I was wondering exactly what they were talking about.

I have used both sea foam and Run Rite with great results. I even dumped some diesel in a '74 F-250 and got good results.......although I don't think I'd junkyard mechanic the 944 quite that much.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrism103
Would you guys recommend that over Sea Foam? I've used the foam on multiple cars I've had with stellar results in the past. A lot of smoke at first though.
Depends on how you use the sea foam. if you suck it through a vacuum line, you're not cleaning the crank case, you're cleaning the combustion chambers.

if you take a cap full and dump it down the oil fill tube, then you're cleaning the crank case... someone on here did that to excess and spun a bearing because it watered down the oil so much. so a dedicated crank case cleaner would be best.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html

These BG products, I've never gone wrong with. I religiously use 44K every 15-20K miles to clean the fuel injection system, and it looks as if quick clean is the proper crank case cleaner. looks like MOA is there as something to sustain the cleanliness and keep things running smoothly.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
if you take a cap full and dump it down the oil fill tube, then you're cleaning the crank case... someone on here did that to excess and spun a bearing because it watered down the oil so much. so a dedicated crank case cleaner would be best.
A cap full? No, you really aren't cleaning the crank case at that point. Try 1/3 of a can.

And the fact that some tard decided it would be a good idea to actually drive around with seafoam in their crank case is hardly the fault of the product, just as it wouldn't be the fault of whatever other crank case cleaner. You have to follow the instructions of bad things will happen - it helps to understand the basic concepts of how these things work - which is why I get away with diesel fuel when necessary. But actually DRIVING AROUND with that in your crank case is full on stupid.

Yes, I know lots of people drive with a 1/3 of a can of sea foam in their crank case for 500-1000 miles. If your crank case is that dirty, its the least of your problems, and the grime is probably holding the bottom end of your motor together, so don't bother with the cleaning and go right on to the "I didn't maintain my car properly" rebuild.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM
chrism103
8th Gear

I just rekindled my love affair with sea foam this weekend. Went out and picked up a couple cans and used one just as an injector/fluel system cleaner in my xterra and the wife's golf. The results were almost immediate. Smoother idle and great pickup.

When I break back into the porsche I'll run some through the crankcase, combustion chamber and fuel system as well. She's been sitting for a while b/c I'm been in the house buying frame of mind but that's almost over.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I may look into some of the products on here as maintenance cleaning items as well.

Quick Reply: Vavle ticking, wrong oil?