Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky clutch pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Squeaky clutch pedal?

The clutch pedal just developed a noticeable squeak just before it's completely released.

I took a look under there and couldn't find the culprit or any leaks from the clutch master cylinder, so I sprayed the visible moving parts with grease but the noise remains.

Any ideas? TIA
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would like to know ?? I have the same squeaky sound
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Wallace
Racer

I noticed quite a loud squeak when I was bleeding my clutch, right at the top of the stroke.
It was only near the end of the process, when there was only a little bit of air left in the system.
It almost sounded like a wood on wood sqeak, if that makes sense. Kind of like a sqeaky floorboard.

Once the clutch was fully bled, the squeak went away.

Maybe there's a small amount of air in the system?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

This would make sense, as I just replaced the rear brake pads and removed brake fluid from the reservoir to keep it from overflowing.

Looks like I took too much fluid out and some air got in. How do I bleed the clutch? Remove the starter and bleed from the slave cylinder?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:01 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a squeaky clutch pedal for about 18 months. It

drove

me

CRAZY

so I finally decided to take care of it. I crawled down there, my head under the dash. I squirted a tiny squirt of white lithium grease (from a can) onto the very top pivot of the clutch pedal, and it has not squeaked since.

But I don't think this is your problem. If it's at the top of the travel, it's probably somewhere else. Get down there with a can of wd-40 or white lithium grease and squirt every pivot/joint.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

What if my squeak is not the slave or master?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My squeak wasn't a cylinder, it was where the pedal pivots to the chassis somewhere up by the steering column.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Well, it sounds like too much of a coincidence for this to happen right after fooling with the brake fluid reservoir to not be related to some air getting in the system.

Jon, how did you go about bleeding the clutch? Did you have to drop the starter to access the slave cylinder?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Wallace
Racer

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Well, it sounds like too much of a coincidence for this to happen right after fooling with the brake fluid reservoir to not be related to some air getting in the system.

Jon, how did you go about bleeding the clutch? Did you have to drop the starter to access the slave cylinder?
No, you should be able to get to the bleeder nipple without removing the starter.

If you search for bleading the clutch, you'll find lots of info, but here's the gyst of it:

- jack the back of the car higher than the front of the car
- get a friend
- i put a small hose on the end of the slave bleeder nipple, then into a bucket, so oil didn't go everywhere
- you get under car, friend gets in driver seat

- friend presses clutch in
- you open bleeder nipple
- you close bleeder nipple
- friend pulls up clutch pedal
- repeat

- it took me forever to get all the air out
- i bled until it felt like there was no air left, then i bled 10 more times
- oh, and always make sure the resevoir is not below the minimum line
Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 PM
ButtSled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the master when the clutch is being pushed. (Two person job) Make sure the master is not tearing the firewall or moving AT ALL. Every squeek I had was tearing the firewall. It makes you think you bled it wrong because you did not get full travel on the piston. A torn firewall is a pain in the *** but fixable if caught early.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wallace
No, you should be able to get to the bleeder nipple without removing the starter.

If you search for bleading the clutch, you'll find lots of info, but here's the gyst of it:

- jack the back of the car higher than the front of the car
- get a friend
- i put a small hose on the end of the slave bleeder nipple, then into a bucket, so oil didn't go everywhere
- you get under car, friend gets in driver seat

- friend presses clutch in
- you open bleeder nipple
- you close bleeder nipple
- friend pulls up clutch pedal
- repeat

- it took me forever to get all the air out
- i bled until it felt like there was no air left, then i bled 10 more times
- oh, and always make sure the resevoir is not below the minimum line
Thanks for that. I read through the procedure in Clarks' but it wasn't clear whether I'd have to pull the starter or not. I was also unsure of how high up I needed to raise the back of the car.

Originally Posted by ButtSled
Look at the master when the clutch is being pushed. (Two person job) Make sure the master is not tearing the firewall or moving AT ALL. Every squeek I had was tearing the firewall. It makes you think you bled it wrong because you did not get full travel on the piston. A torn firewall is a pain in the *** but fixable if caught early.
Thanks for the reminder. I had that happen in the 83 and indeed it was a bear to get fixed. This squeak, however is clearly towards the end of the pedal travel, so I doubt it's the firewall but I'll check just the same!

Quick Reply: Squeaky clutch pedal?