Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Round Parts on Cam Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 PM
cylan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Round Parts on Cam Cover

Pardon my ignorance but what are the two round, black caps for on the cam cover of an S engine? I don't really know what to call them so my searches didn't turn up anything that helped.

I replaced my chain tensioner (the whole assembly, not just the pads) a couple of months ago, and it seems like ever since then a bit of oil keeps leaking from the cap that's between cylinders #3 and #4. I replaced all of the gaskets when I did the job, but there didn't seem to be anything in the kit for those caps...

Surprisingly enough, though a previous mechanic had put sealant at the corners of the cover where the rises begin and there were some frightening looking marks on the cam tower's surface at these corners there have been no oil leaks from there. The leak has just from that one cap (and not even from the other one between cyls 1&2).

So was there something I probably did wrong or just what are these caps for? (and can I take the leaky one off and put some sealant around it?)

On another subject, I tensioned my recently installed (by a mechanic, not myself) timing & balance belts with the Arnnworx 920x toolkit and the belts are making a noticably greater amount of whine. I know this has probably been discussed ad infinitum, but if anyone feels like humoring me, how much whine does there need to be before you think to yourself "oh crap, I screwed it up, better go back and redo/fix the job"?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the whine comes from the the rollers- usually on the balance shaft belt. Next belt service have the rollers replaced- paragon-products.com sells a belt/roller kit for your car. Not sure about the cap it should have a rubber seal or something on it. Try 944online they have every kind of crazy unobtainium parts thats where i look when i cant find something.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Bad rollers don't whine - the belt whines when it's too tight (even factory spec makes it whine). For this reason I run my BS belt slightly looser than spec just so it sounds better.

Can you post a pic of the black caps you refer to?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2 black caps on an 'S' engine's cam cover are just that...caps. The cam cover is shared between the 'S', S2, and 32 valve 928s. On the 928 cars, there are hoses coming off the 2 holes (which are capped on the other cars) for recirculation of the vapors.

Send me your address and I'll send you 2 of the correct o-rings to stop the leaking from the caps.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:50 AM
cylan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aribop
The 2 black caps on an 'S' engine's cam cover are just that...caps. The cam cover is shared between the 'S', S2, and 32 valve 928s. On the 928 cars, there are hoses coming off the 2 holes (which are capped on the other cars) for recirculation of the vapors.
Seems reasonable to me, thanks for the answer. I went looking for 928 engine pics after hearing this I'll be sending a PM shortly.

Also I'l be giving my belts a slight loosening this weekend, otherwise it'll drive me nuts thinking that the belts are on too tight all the time.

Quick Reply: Black Round Parts on Cam Cover