Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna see my old clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna see my old clutch?

I just got my car out of the shop today. When they showed me that I just had to get a picture! I can't believe I was driving around with that thing.

Although now that I've got my car back, it feels different. The grinding during shifts is gone, and so it the rattle at 3k rpm. However I've noticed some stuff.

1) My car doesn't seem to pull as hard as it used to. Not that it was a monster, but it just feels like it's lost just a little.

2) It almost sounds like there's a hole somewhere in my car, cause during acceleration I hear a lot more from the transmission than I used to.

3) No matter what setting I put it on, I only get hot air. Like HOT hot air, like I had the heater up as high as it would go.

1 and 2 I'm willing to chalk up to new parts, but 3 is just weird. I suppose I'll call the shop Monday, see if they know whats up.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heater clip!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 PM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by Drewsifer

2) It almost sounds like there's a hole somewhere in my car, cause during acceleration I hear a lot more from the transmission than I used to.

3) No matter what setting I put it on, I only get hot air. Like HOT hot air, like I had the heater up as high as it would go.

1 and 2 I'm willing to chalk up to new parts, but 3 is just weird. I suppose I'll call the shop Monday, see if they know whats up.
Well I think I may be able to help you with #'s 2 & 3.

2) I myself have no personal experience with replaced clutches (mine is original), but I have to ask, did you replace the clutch with one that was not rubber centered? I'd think it would seem reasonable that a metal centered clutch would transmit more vibs through the car.

3)I have had the same problem... Have you checked the "heater clips" that connect the vacuum actuators to the flaps that control whether you get heat or not?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by N/a 944
Well I think I may be able to help you with #'s 2 & 3.

2) I myself have no personal experience with replaced clutches (mine is original), but I have to ask, did you replace the clutch with one that was not rubber centered? I'd think it would seem reasonable that a metal centered clutch would transmit more vibs through the car.

3)I have had the same problem... Have you checked the "heater clips" that connect the vacuum actuators to the flaps that control whether you get heat or not?
It is a spring centered clutch, which I expected to be a little louder. It's nothing horrible it's just much more noticeable. And as for the heater clips, no I haven't. It was dusk when I picked my car up, but I'll check tomorrow. Anyone have pictures of what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

the rubber absorbed some noise and vibration from the drivetrain, thats why you can hear it now.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:24 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

That clutch rubber looks horribly familiar. I put in a Sachs spring clutch and its just as smooth, ebeit without the slack in the driveline.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by jim 7
That clutch rubber looks horribly familiar. I put in a Sachs spring clutch and its just as smooth, ebeit without the slack in the driveline.
I had a little trouble driving as smoothly with this spring clutch. My car just felt a tad different, and while I didn't get any of the big jerks I used to, I still most times got a little jerk.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

I had a similar problem with the heat. Someone on Renlist suggested turning the heat on full, (not the fan) and then turning it off. It worked for me. It is worth a try. Good luck,
Norm
Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by Drewsifer
It is a spring centered clutch, which I expected to be a little louder. It's nothing horrible it's just much more noticeable. And as for the heater clips, no I haven't. It was dusk when I picked my car up, but I'll check tomorrow. Anyone have pictures of what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for?
this should help. They can be a little hard to get to but they are on either side of the center tunnel under the dash... about where your feet are. I believe according to the article you'd be looking for the one on the drivers side near the gas pedal. Once you get in there, it is quite self explanatory.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 AM
martin944
Instructor

I just had the clutch on my 87 44S replaced with the sachs spring centered clutch. Although there is a bit more vibration at idle, there is no more rattle. the car feels more responsive and feels like a new 21 year old car. pic of the clutch attached.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What year is your car??

The heater clips are only on late cars. On early cars with heat issues the problem is usually the cable that goes from the dash to the heater control valve. Sometimes the cable comes loose from the valve, so moving the lever (which moves the cable) will have no effect. The HCV is located just above the clutch housing, so it stands to reason that during the clutch job, the mechanic knocked into the HCV and knocked the cable off.

Also, the extra sounds you're hearing... are they coming from the shifter area? During the clutch job, the shifter lever must be removed... and in that area is a big foam blob. Maybe the mechanic took out the foam and forgot to put it back in. If you pull up your shift boot, you should easily see the foam (or not, if it's missing).

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

It's an 88. I was just out there looking for that clip as per ClarkGarage, but if it's there I sure as hell can't find. As for the tranny noise, it almost sounds like it's coming from behind my seat. I'll check for the foam though. I guess I'll just have to take it back to the Shop to get the heater fixed.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

you didn't accidentaly put in a solid trans mount did you??
Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by Airflite40
you didn't accidentaly put in a solid trans mount did you??
I didn't do anything. The shop did.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:17 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Even on late cars, with a vacuum HCV instead of a cable, the mechanic could still have left the vacuum line to the HCV disconnected, and this would always give heat. Just another thing to check for.

The HCV is in the back of the engine bay, between the firewall and engine. You can see it from the driver's side looking down behind the oil fill neck.

Quick Reply: Wanna see my old clutch?