Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full leather interior - FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Full leather interior - FAQ?

Curious to find out more about the rare full leather option for the 944s. Figured I would create this thread to see what the current knowledge is out there about the topic.

Please correct me if I am off on any of these statements but I would prefer if you can show a picture to prove what you are saying. Please post pics of anything factory leather that you have come across as well if possible.

Lets see - First off all 944s with the late interior(1985.5 and newer) came with the following items in real leather - steering wheel, shifter and parking brake. Everything else - dash/center console/headliner/front and rear door panels/a-arm covers is fake leather. Now the seats are a different case - most of the 944s from these years came with seats with full leather in the front and fake leather in the back. Of course some seats were script seats in cloth and I have seen some seats that were better optioned - 8 way power/heated/sport seats that were full leather. Also - some of the rarer colored seats like can can red - the entire front and back seats are full leather.

Keep in mind that a previous owner of your car may have changed some things around.

Now - the full leather option. If a 944 came with full leather then the center console is real leather and has stiching along the edge and the cassette storage lid is also real leather. The lower portion of the dash is full leather and has stiching on each corner and the glovebox will have a stiching line up each edge. The lower section of both door panels is full leather and the armrests are full leather - there is a line of stiching along the edge. The upper and lower section of the rear seats are full leather and the front seats have leather on the rear side. Everything else on the full leather cars will be fake leather - headliner, a-arm covers, top of dash, top of door panels and rear area side trim.

The only cars in existance that I know of with full leather is the 944S that Ian had here in Atlanta and sold, the black turbo for sale in this thread, a guards red late turbo that I looked at for sale here in Atlanta a long time ago, a white NA automatic listed on ebay a while ago up Northeast and a NA that a fellow converted to a race car in this thread.

I have never seen a 10 speaker interior in real factory leather and have never see any other color than tan or black.

Here are some pics illustrating up close these panels.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am currently taking donations for black leather interior parts, especially those beautiful door panels.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My old 85.5 came in Alpine White, with polished rim paint match center Fuchs, sport sway bars, and full power/heated sport seats, front and rear seats in leather. It's the only front and back seat leather 944 I've ever seen.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Josh, this past summer my dad and I were looking for another 944 to buy and it came down to the car we bought and a black one we looked at in NC. The car in NC was a black on black 88' 944na, and had the leather dash, doorpanels, center console, front seats, and full perforated leather rear seat. The option code listed in the trunk was "M981- Leather Equipment." This was the only car I have ever seen in person that had the full leather interior.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
My old 85.5 came in Alpine White, with polished rim paint match center Fuchs, sport sway bars, and full power/heated sport seats, front and rear seats in leather. It's the only front and back seat leather 944 I've ever seen.
Yep - front and rear full leather seats are rare enough let alone the rest of the interior in leather!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
Josh, this past summer my dad and I were looking for another 944 to buy and it came down to the car we bought and a black one we looked at in NC. The car in NC was a black on black 88' 944na, and had the leather dash, doorpanels, center console, front seats, and full perforated leather rear seat. The option code listed in the trunk was "M981- Leather Equipment." This was the only car I have ever seen in person that had the full leather interior.
Good to know the exact option code.....Was the leather in nice shape on that car?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
Good to know the exact option code.....Was the leather in nice shape on that car?
The leather was in great shape, but just needed a good cleaning. Another interesting aspect of the car was that it had 16" turbo phone dials that the owner said had been on there since new. As usual they had no idea what they had. We would have bought the car but it really needed a full respray to be nice, and we found a much nicer 944 in GA that was a one owner car so we bought that one instead.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I also just remembered that there was a car for sale locally to me that was a 85.5 944 that was black with can can interior, and had 15" silver centered fuchs. The front seats and back seats were full leather, but it did not have the leather door panels etc.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What all are you looking for. I have a friend with a 87 944 Turbo that has the full leather package. Color is burgandy.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OT, by the way, but-

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
Another interesting aspect of the car was that it had 16" turbo phone dials that the owner said had been on there since new. As usual they had no idea what they had.
My 88 came with 16s, and they certainly weren't added on judging by the condition of the rest of the car. Wish I still had them but was run into a curb by a trucker, and the wheels were cracked. I should have kept them and had them restored, didn't have the room.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Josh, I have the full leather interior in Lt-Grey. Here is a scan of my orignal window sticker.

Unfortulately my full leather seats were replaced with vinyl by the PO. Have everything else though and looking to clean/restore it this summer. Looks like the total price for it was $3,370, so I can see why it wasn't too popular of an option. I will put some interior pics up later on. Funny thing was I didn't know my interior was different than any other 944 till another Lister pointed it out, thanks Mike!

Last edited by 87944turbo; 01-10-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen one car with full leather it was a 87 951 with the black/Tan interior and everything is leather the dash, center console, door panels etc. it looks very nice
Old 01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Mike the Rookie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 87 NA in Zermatt Silver with black full leather interior. I looked at a bunch of red and black 944s before stumbling on this car and the combination of silver with full black leather was a sign to me that this was the car for me. I absolutely love the look and feel of all the leather. The interiors in a lot of cars today seem so cheap, they feel like your sitting in a plastic soda bottle. There are a few other cars on here with this option but it is relatively rare. I have a spare set of door panels, armrests and console in leather.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike the Rookie
I have an 87 NA in Zermatt Silver with black full leather interior. I looked at a bunch of red and black 944s before stumbling on this car and the combination of silver with full black leather was a sign to me that this was the car for me. I absolutely love the look and feel of all the leather. The interiors in a lot of cars today seem so cheap, they feel like your sitting in a plastic soda bottle. There are a few other cars on here with this option but it is relatively rare. I have a spare set of door panels, armrests and console in leather.
You should post some pictures up, I always loved Zermatt silver.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Damn, almost $43,000 in 1987!! What was the total Ben?

Quick Reply: Full leather interior - FAQ?