Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next step in fixing this car (radiator fans, steering, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next step in fixing this car (radiator fans, steering, etc)

Hey guys,

Well, the good news is that, I've finished restoring the interior (pics here: http://www.PontiacPerformance.Net Go to Current Cars, click on 1984 Porsche 944), and the car now actually starts ON IT'S OWN. I can literally get in the car at any point now, put in the key, turn it, and the car will start and I can actually drive it! What a concept!!!

There are just a few lingering issues before I feel comfortable driving it around:

1 - The radiator fans still do not come on at all, even when the A/C is turned on (there is no compressor in there right now, but with the switch activiated, it should come on anyway). What could this be? The fans are good as I tested them on the bench. I also have a BRAND NEW Porsche temp sensor that I installed in the radiator.

2 - The power steering was ripped out of my car before I got it. Is it worth replacing these hoses and attempting to reconstruct everything? Or, would it be better to just install a non power steering rack? I see 924s in the yard every now and then, is there a specific year I should be looking for to pull this off of? And, will it fit on my 1984?

3 - For whatever reason, I simply CANNOT get the oil plug out of the oil pan. It's siezed in there. The nut was rounded off when I got the car. No matter what kind of vice grips I attempt to use, I simply cannot budge the bolt. The only thing that happens is that it just tears more and more of the corner off of the oil plug. The oil that's in there looks very clean, but it's the original oil that was in the Porsche when I got it. It's already a year old at this point.

4 - When the car is idling and I blip the throttle, the throttle seems jumpy. I know it's not the AFM because that's brand new. I can maintain a certain RPM no problem, it's just fiddling with the throttle that causes it to be erratic. I'm thinking it's the TPS. Is it possible to clean this? Or are they cheap enough that I should just get a new one?

5 - Is there anything else I should look at doing to this Porsche to get it street ready? I have all new belts and everything but i haven't installed them. I'm going to be taking it to the Porsche dealership because I refuse to use the F#$%#$King cricket tool. Stupid *** tool and a stupid timing belt design. Other than that, I've got all new fuel lines from the tank to the body lines, including a new fuel filter. I've also got a new DME relay and a new AFM (rebuilt from someone named Cobra?)

Thanks guys...
Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

1. For the rad fans I would say the fan relay....

2. For the power steering, that depends on your preference, but a manual rack out of a 924 will not fit in your 944...look for an 83 944 (those all had manny racks) or just replace everything

3. Get one of those scavenger pump things and suck all the oil out through the top and drill a hole into the plug, then use an easy out, otherwise try to dremel the nut into a shape you can get an impact or breaker bar onto

4. Not sure about that, could be the TPS, check out Bruce Arnn's write up, its on a 951 5 pin TPS, yours is 3 pin IIRC, but this link should be helpful...
http://www.arnnworx.com/tps-repair.htm

5. Honestly, for the cash you are going to spend on the dealer to do your belts just go to Bruce's site and get his 920X tool kit, I have one it is really easy to properly tension the belts with it just spend the money once instead of going to the dealer again and again.
Once you put the new belts on you have to retension them after 1500 miles anyway.....

www.arnnworx.com

Good luck!!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

your throttle problem might just be a loose/stuck/stretched cable
Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fan relay. For the drain bolt, dont mess with it anymore, when you take your car in for the belt tension, have them replace the bolt. If the throttle hesitation is coming off idle, then it could be your tps, but if it is part throttle then blip it wont be, the tps on an na is just a set of 2 limit switches.

Congrats, your close...

Mark
Old 12-30-2007, 10:13 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Where exactly is the relay located? I'll check my manual when I get home. Is it located under the fuse panel with the other relays? The hesitation is when I blip the throttle. I can gain RPMs easily and it maintains them fine, it really just feels like it's the TPS, hard to explain.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Next step in fixing this car (radiator fans, steering, etc)