Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I broke the Wheel Hub

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I broke the Wheel Hub

I noticed a bit of noise coming from the front end the other day and Jumped right a way to the conclusion that it was a Bad Thing. After poking around I found the noise was from the front right side wheel bearing. They were a bit loose so I tightened them but the noise was still there. I am sure this is not a good thing.

When I pulled the hub off I found the bearings had died and made a mess it there. The Hub is toast. The spindle is also showing some damage, however I do not know if the spindle is dead or not. Attached are a couple of pictures (I hope)

Please let me know what you think. I don’t what to change out the spindle unless I have to.
Woody
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If the grooves in the metal are enough to catch your fingernail on i would replace it. n/a spindles are cheap and dime a dozen practically..that is if your car is non-abs. If it is ABS, it might be a bit harder to find one but still shouldnt be a big deal.

The only downside is you will need a wheel alignment after replacing it.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would see how well your new bearings sit on there- if they fit tight you should be ok- if they wobble around i wouldnt trust them.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:20 AM
gstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future reference, when an axle nut is noticeably loose and noisy, never tighten, just replace. Personally, I would not put a new bearing on that surface. I have never had any luck using new bearings on spindles in poor condition. Inevitably, the imperfections of that spindle will create hot spots and wear on the inside of your new bearing.

Best Regards,
Benjamin Goldstein

Quick Reply: I broke the Wheel Hub