Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run a fixed back seat and stock 3-pt belts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone run a fixed back seat and stock 3-pt belts?

Just wondering if any of you guys with those 'dual purpose' type cars run a fixed back seat and the stock 3-pt belt still. Ive got a 6-pt harness in the car, but was hoping to only use it for track use. I test fitted a Sparco Pro 2000 seat and there is no way i can squeeze the female end of the seatbelt through the lap belt hole and still mount the buckle receiver.

Ive seen it done before with the Recaro GT3 seats (on a 911) but figure the mounting setup is a little different to make it happen. But the male end of the buckle is fed through the buckle hole on the left side of the seat.

Its not a huge deal to strap in with the 6-pt harness, but my crotch isnt to happy when i cinch down the harnesses tight.

I am actually planning on trading the Pro 2000 seat for my friends Sparco Evo. Funny enough, i bought the Pro 2000 from one friend, and another one happened to be looking for a Pro 2000 and wanting to sell his Evo.

Worse comes to worse i can just swap the seats in and out between track events. It takes less than an hour to do.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you not able to use just the 4 points of the harness?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:12 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the six point harness is meant to be routed so that the sub belts come in at the rear of the seat and you actually sit on them. Five point comes in through the sub belt hole. I have five point corbeau harnesses and i run my factory three point when i drive on the street. I re-routed the belt so that the lower belt goes through the side entry of the seat instead of across the top of the bolster.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL you put your helmet on the seat to take that pic.

Soooo cute
Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jon, i use a momo RS GT because it allows for a 3 point belt very easily, but i do know that in Vaino's old 924, when Radomin had it, he used a 3 point harness with high bolsters and it worked fine, so you should be fine
Old 12-09-2007, 02:33 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

I'm interested in your seat question as well Jon, but I have to tell you I think I can smell the vanilla Christmas trees from here! - or maybe coconut?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I run the 3-pt factory belts with aftermarket seats, but my seats have lower sides so the factory belts work no problem.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i had my helmet in the car to make sure i had clearance w/ the new seats...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsboost90
the six point harness is meant to be routed so that the sub belts come in at the rear of the seat and you actually sit on them. Five point comes in through the sub belt hole.
Six point belts are also intended to go through the sub belt holes. Some seats have two opposing holes for the individual belts, or you can pass them through the single hole for a 5 point. Personally I wouldnt feel comfortable with the sub belts mounted like you describe.

Here is a pic of what a 6 point seat looks like.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to work fine for me. these pics were taken right before I installed the 2 sub belts.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input guys.

4pt harnesses are not an option. They are not legal for track use and i dont like how they ride up to my stomach without the sub belt.

Seb, are you just routing the 3pt belt over the bolsters of the seat? I thought about doing it that way but its definetley not safe with the Pro2000 seat as the bolsters are much larger. I might be trading for a Evo which is similar, but has a smaller bolster. Hopefully that fits well.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Thanks for the input guys.

4pt harnesses are not an option. They are not legal for track use and i dont like how they ride up to my stomach without the sub belt.

Seb, are you just routing the 3pt belt over the bolsters of the seat? I thought about doing it that way but its definetley not safe with the Pro2000 seat as the bolsters are much larger. I might be trading for a Evo which is similar, but has a smaller bolster. Hopefully that fits well.
Which sanctioning body do you run with that 4 points are not allowed on a track?

Have you considered the Schroth 4 point? They are even street legal if I am not mistaken.

http://www.schrothracing.com/product...m/profi-II-asm

I use Sparco Torinos with the 3 point just fine but they have a MUCh lower bolster than what your running.

IPSC
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Just wondering if any of you guys with those 'dual purpose' type cars run a fixed back seat and the stock 3-pt belt still. Ive got a 6-pt harness in the car, but was hoping to only use it for track use. I test fitted a Sparco Pro 2000 seat and there is no way i can squeeze the female end of the seatbelt through the lap belt hole and still mount the buckle receiver.

Ive seen it done before with the Recaro GT3 seats (on a 911) but figure the mounting setup is a little different to make it happen. But the male end of the buckle is fed through the buckle hole on the left side of the seat.

Its not a huge deal to strap in with the 6-pt harness, but my crotch isnt to happy when i cinch down the harnesses tight.

I am actually planning on trading the Pro 2000 seat for my friends Sparco Evo. Funny enough, i bought the Pro 2000 from one friend, and another one happened to be looking for a Pro 2000 and wanting to sell his Evo.

Worse comes to worse i can just swap the seats in and out between track events. It takes less than an hour to do.

Hey Jon,

Using non-stock seatbelts on the street is illegal here in Ohio so in order to keep the reasons for being randomly pulled over to a minimum, I use the stock 3-pts with my Corbeau fixed back seats. I used the stock seatbelt female brackets from a non-power seat. I don't run the belt thru the lapbelt holes on the seats. Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=J Silverman;4863119]Six point belts are also intended to go through the sub belt holes. Some seats have two opposing holes for the individual belts, or you can pass them through the single hole for a 5 point. Personally I wouldnt feel comfortable with the sub belts mounted like you describe.

- wow never seen the other slots like that before. Ive run 6 point through the center hole before w/ no problems, just looked like his was kinda uncomfortable the way it was layed out. Ive ridden in a few race cars where you had to sit on the sub belt harness- not what i like but ive seen it.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I considered the Scroth 4-pt, but even with the ASM i am still weary of running a harness without the subbelt. Not so much as the fear of slipping under the seat in an accident, but what really gets me is how the lap belt and cam lock ride up to my stomach as i cinch down the shoulder belts. No matter how tight i get the lap belt it always seems to happen. Thats the way it is with my current 6-pt harness if i dont run the lap belt. Does anyone run this type of harness and have this problem?

The other thing about the Scroth 4pts is even though some of the models are DOT compliant, i dont want to invite any reason for the police to hassle me. They do often have the random checkpoints around onramps, offramps, in town. Because even if the belts are DOT compliant and street legal...they can find a handful of other things on the car to ticket, and probably impound the car for. So id rather not give them a reason to do a double take on the car.

Im pretty sure the bolster on the Evo is low enough that i can safely run the 3-pt belt right over it.

Quick Reply: Anyone run a fixed back seat and stock 3-pt belts?