Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plyhammer has been banned

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

OMG John D is still running things here!!!! Nothing has changed, the mods are still the same!!!

The sale just gave rennlist a new owner, and let John D take more time away from Rennlist to focus on his other work!

Here is my view.....

The 944/951 boards do not have an active mod presence, Randy V drops in everyonce in a while here, unlike the 928 and Off topic forums where he is more active.
That is why plyhammer and others have gone relatively unnoticed when they have parted several cars, and bought cars with intent to part them and make money off them.
Keith951 (mike) would have probably gone unnoticed as well, but he called so much attention to himself when he crossposted into several different forums.
When he got banned I honestly thought to myself, damn, who's next? Plyhammer and lart??

Then BAM plyhammer is banned....

The thing with the 944 series is we dont have a dedicated used parts supplier that does nothing but part 944's and sponsor the 944 forum like 928 international does for the 928 forum.
When we need used 944 parts where can we go?
1. DCAuto - they part a wide range of models, and my dealings with them have had very mixed results, sometimes horrible to sometimes good service.
2. Partsheaven - Same thing, they part lots of models and mixed experiences with customer service there.
3. Ebay - LOL

So I think the 944 community very much relies on the individual members who part cars and sell of parts. I dont think that they do it for a profit relatively speaking, like for example this part is worth $50 so I'll charge $75 to get a good profit. These guys sell parts for what they are worth.
I can see how Randy V's mentality works well in the 928 side of things, where I rarely see people part out cars because 928 intl's service & prices are beyond excellent and there is just no need for it. If you are running a business parting 928's you should have to pay a sponsorship because 928 intl does and they are highly active in the 928 community. I dearly wish there was a place like 928 intl for 944's. So I can understand how someone parting various cars and undercutting 928 intls prices would be wrong on Rennlist, but on the 944 side of things there is a need for these guys who part cars.

I'm not trying to undermine any decision that Randy V or John D ever made, I think they are great mods and I respect them both IMMENSLY!! These are just my thoughts, and usually I try to be careful in my posts for fear of banning cuz i love Rennlist that much, but I feel that something needs to be done when members like Dan (xsboost90) who are worth more to the community than the $$ he made parting someone elses car are talking about leaving....

just my .02 take it or leave it
Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a feeling this kind of thing was going to happen. Now I am starting to wonder if I should have renewed my membership a couple of weeks ago. All you ever see is people being told they need to be a PAYING member to list stuff for sale and that their thread will be deleted, and now that doesn't seem to matter either.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

In short this whole issue is bull$hit and we all know it. Suddenly there is a problem? Yes it's called greed and many suspected it would happen with the sale. I doubt that John D. has any say in it now but I hope his check has cleared. People will be bailing from here like rats if this keeps up. I never thought I wouldn't be able to sell spare parts here...I've given away more parts than I've sold...I guess they will ban me now for operating a charity without a license.

To the new owners I can only say don't bite the hand that feeds you...the members are what make this forum work not the other way around.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote I saw same where else:

"Yeah, it costs the sellers, but buyers don't knowingly pay squat."

I feel this is a good point, I mean, I thought only members were only allowed to sell AND buy.
This was 80% of why I became a member in the first place.

WOT...I do understand why paying to be a member of this site is helps with the costs involved with such an endevor.
But, I did not know until recently that most of the proceeds were going to support some orphanage outside of america. I dont want my money leaving here to support someone else in another country. We have plenty of unfortunate people here who could bennefit.
This is just my thought.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

[*** INTERMISSION***]

Won't be long before sellers post FREE! You pay $XXX.XX for shipping/handling?

[/*** INTERMISSION***]
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen: The word here is capitalism and the objective is $$$.
What bothers me is that this rule should apply globally across RL. If you do a search in the 928 forums for FS and sale you will notice that this rule is not enforced. Maybe this witchhunt is selective???
Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
x2. I appriecate all the great deals from Nick, Dan, and the other guys I've bought stuff from.. It was much better then buying some questionable stuff from a shady ebay seller...if I could even find some of the small things I needed on ebay

I paid the membership to show my support for a great online resource..All of my p-cars (4 so far) have rennlist stickers, I put rennlist cards on any p-car I see, and post all my problems/solutions so maybe someone else that has the same problem can find a solution...and so I can sell something if needed or buy an item that a fellow rennlister is selling,

but now I don't think its worth it... Pelican has everything rennlist has for free. People are free to sell/buy and there is just as much information there as there is here. If the new owners of rennlist want to be able to turn a profit they gotta make people want to stay here and continue paying to be a "rennlist member"
and as Mark will agree, I wind up giving all kinds of stuff to guys for free...and it was MY time(that i will never get back) that i used to take the parts off...
Parting the cars is not a "for profit " entity as it was even 5 years ago...it is now mostly worthless junk....i have a full barn of it
Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Airflite40
OMG John D is still running things here!!!! Nothing has changed, the mods are still the same!!!

The sale just gave rennlist a new owner, and let John D take more time away from Rennlist to focus on his other work!

Here is my view.....

So I think the 944 community very much relies on the individual members who part cars and sell of parts. I dont think that they do it for a profit relatively speaking, like for example this part is worth $50 so I'll charge $75 to get a good profit. These guys sell parts for what they are worth.
I just my .02 take it or leave it
if you can get $75 for ANY 944 part...you are lucky
all my cabby stuff is ready to go..if rock doesn't take it, it is getting recycled like i did with all the wheels, heads, intakes and other stuff i can recycle
ebay is a waste on that stuff because no one will bid on it...it cost a fortune to list..and then when it sells for $4 it takes me hours to pack? not anymore...it goes to the recycler...
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I parted a 500 dollar 944. I probably made about 800 bucks over what I paid for it. But it was a ton of work and time to take it all apart, sell the parts, ship em out etc. It took up my garage for a couple months. Hell I still have spare parts all over the damn place. I know for a fact if I just did my normal day job (computer consulting) for those same amount of hours I would make thousands more than I did parting the car. But I gave a lot of people here really good deals on parts so that we could keep nice cars on the road.

It would be a shame to see this place go downhill. I too have pimped the hell out of rennlist in the past few years, and have purchased things from these guys to keep my car in great shape.

I do have a couple automotive oriented domain names that I've been sitting on for a few years, which are just gathering dust in an unused corner of the interweb. People are fickle... the crowd can turn on things quickly. I hope the new owner's let this place be what it is. It was already the best. Tampering invites disaster and flight to other places with more friendly policies. That would suck.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nickg
and as Mark will agree, I wind up giving all kinds of stuff to guys for free...and it was MY time(that i will never get back) that i used to take the parts off...
Parting the cars is not a "for profit " entity as it was even 5 years ago...it is now mostly worthless junk....i have a full barn of it

Thats true. I've taken 2 or 3 trips to NJ to get some parts from Nick. I got lost , called him 100x trying to find out where I was, he drove way out to his barn..gave me a bunch of free parts and a good torque tube for only $50! 944ecology wanted $700 -- not saying anything bad about George , as he has helped me out, but that is someone parting cars for a business --

When I realized I needed another part without hesitation nick drove all the way up to his house (a ways from his barn) and gave me the part I needed. I don't think I'd have my n/a on the road if it wasn't for him The $50 I gave him wouldn't even start to cover his time and the cost of the parts

if rennlist continues down this path I don't think that could happen again..
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
aben8057
Drifting

BTW..anyone have the black dashboard piece above the glove box for sale??
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know either of the two bannee's personally, and never had a dealing with them (from what I can remember). They seemed like good guys.

But if one were to take the time to go to their profiles, hit the "view more posts from this user" button, you would see that the majority of their posts were selling stuff. At some point there is a line that is crossed between parting out a car of yours that has died, and buying cars to part out for profit. Granted, the line seems blurry at best, but it is there nonetheless.

FYI, the same thing happend to Lart awhile back and he became a small business sponsor or something like that.

Is the issue here that the moderators are finally enforcing the rules that always existed?

I think people like Dan that contribute more than they post things for sale are OK by me. Hell, I've been known to sell a thing or two on here. But when someone's majority of postings are for sale threads, that becomes a problem. Plyhammer and 951Mike appeared to be in that problematic area.

After all this is a tech forum. Not a for sale forum. Somedays more than half of the first page postings are for sale posts, ebay posts, and craigslist posts.

Just my comments, I'm not bashing anyone.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nickg
if you can get $75 for ANY 944 part...you are lucky
I guess the $75 radiator I got from Dan was lucky....

Originally Posted by tifosiman
After all this is a tech forum. Not a for sale forum. Somedays more than half of the first page postings are for sale posts, ebay posts, and craigslist posts.
Great point Tifo.....

Maybe we should take a page out of Pelican's book and start a forum for 944/951 parts instead of a forum for parts from ALL models!!! Thats the main reason why I never go in that forum.

Like I said earlier, there is obviously a demand for used 944/951 parts since we dont have a 928 Intl like the 928 guys do.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
BTW..anyone have the black dashboard piece above the glove box for sale??

PM sent
Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

By the way Nick... thanks again for selling me the near flawless late NA belly plan... it's a beaut. Colin, the front valence is still in mint condition. Robby, the positive iceshark kit is awesome (cash my check man -it's been a month!?), Daniel, the phonies turned out awesome... between Mike and Ply, I have more relays, door panel parts, clips, and miscellaneous items... and Ryan, the 951 door panel project is well underway! All this is just the *recent* stuff.

How could I have purchased any of these items if you guys weren't around? None of these transactions went south... meaning, a lot of folks depend on other members to buy parts... I have sold a few things and have given away a few things and have had a few things sent to me for free... wasn't this, rather ISN'T this the spirit of rennlist?

I've stopped, on numerous occasions, on the side of the road (even went out of my way by turning around on the highway on the way home) to make sure another rennlister wasn't in trouble. I've met some great folks here in person and have introduced those folks I've met to rennlist... isn't this the spirit of rennlist?

I drove to Orlando for a rennlist member and paid $500 of my OWN money to pick up a set a rims for him trusting that when we met he'd pay me for them. Isn't this the spirit of rennlist?

Two of use (PeteL, you're my comrade at arms on car work man) drove to a new-to-the-area rennlister's house to help them work on their 951... isn't this the spirit of rennlist?

My first 944 maintenance was fully supported by a rennlister - headhunter (cheers man), belts, rollers, waterpump, the whole front end and oil cooler... isn't this the spirit of rennlist?

Selling an item or two every once in a while, in this forum, as a paying member, should be allowed and I'd hate to see it go, folks. That would wouldn't at all be the spirit of rennlist.

Randy, you've got a PM. I will offer up my time to work on behalf of this forum to restore the faith.

- Jason

Quick Reply: plyhammer has been banned