Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plyhammer has been banned

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wander if any other model boards (Within RL) are haveing the same problems? Or is it just the 944 series models?

I have been going to Peilcan alot more this week than ever. I bet traffic on the 944 forum over there is way up.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
Most people who part cars are not trying to make a business out of it, most buy the car for parts for their cars, and sell what they don't need.

You think there is "serious" money in parting a car?

-Darwin
Not to mention the eye sore sitting by your house for months.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone think it has something to do with the new owner? Seems funny that it just started to be such an issue. New owner = more $$$. I'm thinking twice about the next $18 I send in.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a conversation with John D. about this issue would be the better path to take. Find out what the issues are and get more details about what can and can not be done/sold/bought on in the forum.
This forum rocks. No other even comes close to what we have here. Lets just work out the issues and enjoy our cars.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Good point fwb, It skipped my mind that everything is under new management.

-Darwin
Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb42
Does anyone think it has something to do with the new owner? Seems funny that it just started to be such an issue. New owner = more $$$. I'm thinking twice about the next $18 I send in.
Yes, and I hope the Admin clarifies this recent persecution because it's doing the site a lot more harm than good.

A virtual community is just that. Virtual. It takes a long time to create, but it can also "virtually" degrade itself to the point where people don't feel like it's a community anymore.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is all of this banning mumbojumbo a direct result of the change in management of the site since John D gave it up?

I find it extremely unethical for moderators to delete threads or even ban people and not even inform them of doing so. In our little Rennworld, this is a violation of the 14th Amendment of Notice! I gently suggest to the moderators that they issue a blanket statement (at the very least) stating that they will be banning (or at least deleting) any- and everyone who posts for-sale threads. This would greatly clear things up, IMO.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Hawk36
Racer

Can't we all just get along???

I did forget that John D. is no longer running things.
It does seem like we need some clarafication on these issues.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would imagine since this is happening more frequently, that we will soon see a sticky at the top of the forum pages describing what is OK and not OK. In the meantime if we need something, we will have to just PM the usual sources/people to find it, maybe start an underground PM list that gets passed around if people have a bunch to sell. Or just go to Pelican...... I feel this is total BS. I frequently get yelled at for being on here at work all the time, mostly it's because if you don't jump on some of this For Sale stuff ASAP..... it's gone!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Okay folks, I've been sitting on the sidelines since the banning started a while back. I've sent a few PM's to both moderators and sellers. While I contend that my post is not a case for arbitration, I will state that the moderators should consider posting some more detailed guidelines surrounding what is interpreted as acceptable member "selling" and what is considered small business "selling".

I've bought more parts from folks over the past 1.5 years than I can shake a stick at, some from the recently banned on multiple occassions. All, I mean ALL, of my member to member transactions have been steller. If I wanted some hapless ebay experience where I can't tell who the real seller is or if they actually know what a 944 is, I'd cruise that place all day long and overpay/overbid, and still be wondering if the seller is worth their weight in salt.

In my opinion, if someone has a part or two, or a few that they have in the garage, attic, back of their car, and they are a paying member, they should be able to post it for sale following forum guidelines, but in the 944/forum. If someone has a car they are parting out, and are a member, they should be able to make notice of it in the for sale forum with no x-post as a solicitation. If someone habitually parts cars, for whatever reason, it is considered a revenue stream to them, and they should be under the small business consideration.

Quid pro quo, what if all of a sudden members (which has recently been a trend) started posting WTB's? Are we looking at the same activity?

Guidelines and consistency are key here, folks. All in all, I'd hate NOT to be able to see good folks sell parts on the 944 forum. I'd be the first person to say that not being able to sell a leftover/spare part as a member would be a great disservice to the community.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

For the moderators, I will volunteer my time to assist you, should you desire, to reach an amicable position as a neutral entity. I respect any and all decisions that are made and for all of us, my membership renewal has no bearing on this topic.

75ohm.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
it seems like there isnt a problem with selling parts, so long as you dont try to make a business out of it.

we all know plyhammer and lart part lots of cars and were very grateful for their work. John D probably just wants the guys that are making serious $ to pay a little more.
well trust me...they don't make sqaut from the rennlist...
the people here are so freeking cheap sometimes it is pathetic..
99.9999999999999999999% of all things i ever tried to sell i wind up throwing out...even stuff i offered for free.....food for thought i hope
remember, this is a "for profit board" now
Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing to think about. In most cases the members selling parts are the same ones that help us with our problem solving. So,if we ban them all,all our help is also gone,when the help is gone the forum is G O N E. Could be a high price for the new owners to pay!!! I call BS on this new crack down !! Done without any forthought . Oh! The power must feel good !!! By God we'll make some money now!!!
Rant over. FRED
Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nickg
well trust me...they don't make sqaut from the rennlist...
the people here are so freeking cheap sometimes it is pathetic..
99.9999999999999999999% of all things i ever tried to sell i wind up throwing out...even stuff i offered for free.....food for thought i hope
remember, this is a "for profit board" now
x2. I appriecate all the great deals from Nick, Dan, and the other guys I've bought stuff from.. It was much better then buying some questionable stuff from a shady ebay seller...if I could even find some of the small things I needed on ebay

I paid the membership to show my support for a great online resource..All of my p-cars (4 so far) have rennlist stickers, I put rennlist cards on any p-car I see, and post all my problems/solutions so maybe someone else that has the same problem can find a solution...and so I can sell something if needed or buy an item that a fellow rennlister is selling,

but now I don't think its worth it... Pelican has everything rennlist has for free. People are free to sell/buy and there is just as much information there as there is here. If the new owners of rennlist want to be able to turn a profit they gotta make people want to stay here and continue paying to be a "rennlist member"
Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb42
Once I heard about the second banning I found myself thinking the same thing.

With the first guy, I remember him being warned before so I had assumed that I missed something or he crossed the line a few times too many. But now, we immediately have a second person getting dinged for the same thing.

I haven't bought a lot of parts on Rennlist but I have found a few and have been very thankful to be at a place where I can get parts inexpensively. I'm assuming those days are over?

Needless to say, I'm not overly impressed with this sudden trend...

BB.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

this is not good....

Quick Reply: plyhammer has been banned