Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I try?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to sound stupid but "huh????" youngin' here 'member? hehe
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you take your head to a machine shop, they can resurface the mating surface by shaving off just a little bit to ensure it is perfectly level before you throw it back together, then they can also grind the valves, and seats so that they mate perfectly again. then everything is ship shape on re-assembly. they even clean it so its purdy
Old 11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

*OOOOOOOOOO AHHHHHHHHH* lol, ok thanks, So what would be the easiest/cheapest way of going about this whole job, i'm kind of at a loss, considering this car sat for only God knows how long, i don't know what other fun little things i'm going to find, and i don't want to pay to have the head redone and the cylinders resleeved/whatever and it turns out i've got a spun rod or something. I guess what i really need to know is what path you guys would follow if you pulled apart the engine to a car with original fuchs and saratoga in beautiful shape to find that the inside of the engine is gouged like someone dropped a nail into the cylinder...I have a while to think about this, and hopefully i'll have some spendable cash coming in soon (selling one of my 944's on eBay), but probably no more than 1000 bucks, plus i'd probably be doing this work in my driveway (we don't have a garage, plus i'm going to be up at school most of my days). Should i get the other engine in this car and give myself some time to rebuild this one? Or should i wait and just spend my money on this engine? Just need some guidance.

TIA
Ethan
Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

either put in the other engine, or make one good one between them, as you are taking apart the other one, you can see which parts are best from each and then just replace the gaskets between the parts you take off
Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

ok, so now i have a question, since i'm going to essentially tear down two engines and piece them together...what, if any, upgrades should i buy while i'm in there, like forged crank, lightweight piston rods...does anybody make any upgrade parts for a 944? Seems like a heck of a lot of people ask this, because they buy a good car and they want to "tune" it (todays culture, i wish i was born in the 80's), i just want to know if there's something worthwhile that i should spend my money on while i'm in there that might make this a little more of an import killer...hehehe...btw, i'm thinking i have a warm spring coming up in a few months, and i can probably get a ride home for a weekend every couple weeks, so i could make some time for some work (especially spring break, a whole week to kill!!!). That's why i'm trying to come up with things to buy and stuff to do in advance, because i don't want to get to spring break and realize i have all these things i could do and none of the resources...

Thanks
Ethan
Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

if you dont want to spend money to take the head to a shop to get done over, dont even try to look at anything that is gonna give it an 'upgrade' a fresh engine rebuilt correctly will be your best bet and best money spent on an N/A motor.

you can get a new cam and whatnot, but a new cam is $600.

or that same $600 would get your head like new, new waterpump, belt and roller kit and headgasket kit.

see where this is going?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

take your dark red car, put the 924 interior in it, make a franken-engine out of your 3 cars and sell the other 2 for parts.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:03 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

I see both of your points...my idea for this car was to keep it as original as possible, because of it's *somewhat* rarity of having fuchs and a saratoga, so at this point i'm going to try not to destroy one of the best parts of the 924 just to add a little bit to the dark red 944. And about spending money, i meant to give the impression that i don't have the money to spend on it right now, but that is not to say that i won't have the money soon, such as this summer when i get a job. Let me say this, the truly deciding factor will be the biggest OTHER problem i find when i have more time to take a really good look at this car, i.e. if the biggest problem i find is a bad sunroof seal...then i won't be afraid to put some extra money into the engine, but if i find out that the clutch is fried or the ecu is completely shot (just throwing out random bad things it is 12 AM...) then i'm definitely not going to throw money at things like an upgraded camshaft etc. Essentially, i'm ready to spend money on this, when i have money that is, as long as i don't find something completely obvious and very expensive waiting for me after i've paid the bill. i hope you see my point. Just trying to get all the doors open before i run out of time and have to pick one!

Thanks
Ethan
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

the cheapest solution would be to take what you have and work with it into a good car. only with more expense will the other cars come to life.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

that's true to a certain extent, i do have a couple of things i can try on my 924 before i have to throw massive amounts of money at that. I did get a quote from a body shop saying 2000 bucks for the body damage and it will be perfect, don't have that right now, but i should soon. The oil pressure issue may be resolved by tightening down the crankshaft bolt. Then i would just need to clean the injectors and empty the fuel tank and try her out.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

how long would it take to pull the engine out of the platinum metallic 944 and drop it into the dark red one?

btw, hang in there, when i got my car it sat in my garage for a long while before i could even drive it. i started to think it was cursed but once i was done i loved it so much i forgot about the whole mess.

wait i thought you had an extra engine? does that work? i'd drop that into the car over winter break..
Old 11-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how everybody is calling that engine scrap just because of marks on the bores, then people see pictures of them with 'clean' bores and say they are perfect without even checking for out of round and taper.

Honestly, take it to a machine shop, find the depth of the scratches and have the bores checked for out of round and taper. Most likely that block is usable. Small scratches like that are not a death sentence.

I spent thousands and thousands rebuilding my 951 engine, boring the cylinders, new pistons, bottom up rebuild, etc, due to some scratches in the cylinders. I wish I had never done it, the compression numbers picked up less than 5psi, engine runs absolutely no different, consumes no less oil and is no faster.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:26 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but why take the risk if you have another engine sitting right there???

Mark
Old 11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

the engine on the other 944 is an automatic first of all (dark red is a manual), and it needs a headgasket, which would mean a fun little rebuild for that one too, plus it's on ebay. I do have an extra engine, but it's been pretty wrecked by the previous owner, they took bolt cutters to the studs to get the exhaust manifold off, luckily most of them are still more or less intact, but a few are pretty short...someone also took a pair of loppers to the whole assembly of wires coming to the engine, so that would be fun to replace, in addition the engine sat for God knows how long under a tarp with no oil fill cover *stupid!!!*, so it's probably full of bugs! It might be easier to rebuild since it's already pulled, but holy crap it might be a disaster. Honestly if i actually had this other engine in running shape, or in any shape as long as i knew what shape it was...i wouldn't hesitate to throw a little money at it to get this car running. i definitely won't scrap the original engine though, because this is the kind of car that makes me want to *sounds stupid i know* keep numbers matching and actually restore, not just fix up.

Thanks,
Ethan

Quick Reply: Why do I try?