Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led's for Climate Control and Clock

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
TRDRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led's for Climate Control and Clock

Well I recently purchesed my Guards Red 944 about a month ago and for the first time that I drove it at night I was very disapointed at the lighting! I know it was created back in the day and all but today there are modern ways to enhance lighting! So I did my own LED upgrade with the Reflectors! And that turned out very well! but now the clock and the climate control look like crap! I have searched for weeks about the led's for those 2 objects! But most of the threads have dead links and don't have an outcome! I found one thread were "Perry 951" says he had done the convertion and it was for sale but there is no documentation on how to do it or what bulbs to use. So I have made this thread for others to see what leds you need to make this happen!

Thanks

I Upgraded this as I am now working on the Leds for the whole car! So far I have found the following Leds but still want to find some festoon bulbs for the Dome Light, Glove Box, and License Plate Lights that are pure white and have high viewing angles of around 180 Degrees or higher to fill the car as regular incandescent bulbs do but with greater light!

These are all taken from superbrightleds site except for the 3 & 5mm leds; Some bulbs will require modification to fit into sockets!

Guage Cluster: Need 3 WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs Original is 194
Ashtray & Cigarette Lighter: Need 2 74-xHP3 SMD LED Bulbs Original is 2721
Headlight Switch: Need 1 74-x LED Bulb Original is 2721
Climate Control Fan **** & Clock: Need 2 74-x LED Bulbs Original is 2721
Window Defrost Indicator Above Fans: Need 1 74-x LED Bulb Original is 2721
Foglight Switch/ Rear Window Defroster: Need 4 3mm Round Top Leds with 12v resistors.
Climate Control: Need 6 3mm Round Top Leds with 12v resistors and these are for the buttons. And then you need 3 3 or 5mm Flat Top leds with 12v resistors that have 60 Degree's or better Viewing Angle for the big *****!
License Plate Lights: Need 2 BA9s or T4W bulbs Original is 3893

Last edited by TRDRacer; 04-11-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it's out there somewhere

I've seen the conversion with an excellent write-up and even photos on one of the other enthusiast sites, or maybe on some guy's site. The guy replaced all of the bulbs in his climate control, I think with slightly brighter "regular" bulbs.

Give me a while and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Rick
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to know as well.
I was going to do the gauge cluster, but want the rest of the lighting to match. If there is a way please shed some

ah...............

LIGHT on it.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote this a while back. I only changed one of the bulbs for a stock replacement though, I didn't try switching in brighter or led bulbs. Though assuming the led bulbs fit, I don't see why they wouldn't work.

http://members.rennlist.com/billthe3...scriptions.htm
Odd that there are images that don't work on that. If you guys really want the other pictures, I can try messing around with the files to see why they aren't working.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
flashgordon
Instructor

This is a timely thread. As I was driving to work this morning, I realised that I don't like the lighting on my dash. The gauge lights were replaced and I repaired the reflectors, but it still needs something. I was wondering what other options were available. Any info on this would be great.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 AM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the fact that I can never see what time it is when it's dark...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

The clock has its own seperate bulb in the back of it that should light up so it is quite easy to see at night.

I honestly don't see what all you guys are complaining about though. I redid my reflective material and installed new bulbs in my gauges (I think they are the slightly higher wattage ones from paragon) and I have no issues with the interior lighting.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
rickb20
Pro

Default Bill's article is the one I mentioned

Bill,

I read your writeup some time ago. You really should submit this to Clark's Garage where it will be more easily found and it will be preserved for all time.

I really appreciate you guys who take the time to document your work with an excellent description and pictures.

Rick
Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
ttwirz
Racer

couple of links

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-08.htm

http://porscheleds.com/944ledg.html

http://jageng.com/garage9/product_in...e1fc86dd8160db
Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
TRDRacer
Instructor

billthe3 I saw your thread and I have everything out and I am looking at how and where the bulbs are! What type of led's do you need is my question so they can fit in there and what type of resistors aswell cause I don't want to overheat and do the job over that was a PIA in the first place! I am rookie with swaping led's in and electrical stuff, I have done it before but still need help! So my question is what type of LED's do i need (there bulb # not a website). And were can I find very small resistors to work with the small space that is given. Also the clock aswell what led # do I need and resistor to work?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
TRDRacer
Instructor

Also flashgordon did you do the led swap and the reflectors on your car or did you buy a kit from ebay or website? If you did it yourself what type of material did you use? cause that can make all the difference! My guages look exactly like Jagner's BLue Led's http://jageng.com/garage9/product_in...e1fc86dd8160db
What I used for the reflective material was aluminum. It is what todays cars use to spread the lights very evenly and brightly! Go Look up Member "One" in the water cooled forum and just type in LED in the search field! No Pics but good info there!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 PM
rickb20
Pro

Default No LED's were used in the making of the instructional...

TRD...

Bill didn't use any LED's when he replaced his bulbs, so I doubt he'll know the answers to the questions you're asking.

Since you've taken yours apart, pull out one of each type of bulb and then call one of the LED suppliers with the model numbers to see what they recommend.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 AM
TRDRacer
Instructor

My bulbs don't have the model numbers on them. Any other way people have done it? I would like to know the answer cause I can't return them after I buy off line! And I read that someone tried to fit the bulbs inside the climate control ***** and the clock but they did not fit and the resistors did not fit aswell! I know people here have done the swap but for some reason they don't want to share the info!!

Last edited by TRDRacer; 11-18-2007 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Its either on-line or off the internet.

Just take out the old bulb and head down to your local radioshack/electronics store. They should have a replacement bulb that will fit.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 AM
flashgordon
Instructor

TRD, I didn't install leds. I just replaced the bulbs and followed the instructions on clarks to repair the reflectors. I used aluminum tape on the reflectors and it made a big diiference at night. I didn't install leds because I wanted the entire dash to match. It looks silly to see gauges one color and the hvac controls and different color. I am curious to see if anyone has done a complete led swap to see if it can be done and how it looks.

Quick Reply: Led's for Climate Control and Clock