Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior 50% done

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Interior 50% done

As some of you remember, this is my disaster of a flood recovery car. I'm still doing motor work after my milkshake incident, but Colin (Potent951turbo86) shipped me carpets and seats form his parts car. I need to finish up the re-wrap of my steering wheel and then re-cover the dash. Other than that, it's just minor stuff (those stupid covers are missing off of most of the screws, etc.).

So I'll start out with the before pictures:

Yes - my moron PO did have the seats reupholstered in vinyl and fabric from a lat 80s Bronco II, and no, it obviously does not match with anything. No, the workmanship wasn't even any good.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:39 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

And here's during the cleanup - my PO was nice enough to leave the Delaware river mud under the carpets (which were out of the car when it actually flooded, but you'd never know it form their condition).

Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

And now it looks almost respectable....

Still need to clean things up that got dirty during the install, but I think that was quite enough work for one day. Plus I unexpectedly was presented with a deal I couldn't pass up on this:

....so I had to go pick that up too after a trip to the bank. Now it's beer-thirty.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, those old seats were awful! Nice work man, that thing really cleaned up.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

You deserve a beer. You've done a great job bringing back that interior and it shows. I know how much work it is and the work area is tight as hell in the back seat. That gorilla snot that Porsche used to glue stuff down is so much fun to clean up.

I'll drink a beer in your honor, Hell I'll drink one for any reason but you posted first.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow Daryl that looks great and is a HUGE improvement, I didn't know that your interior looked like that before. The new console lid will look great once you get it in the mail.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:57 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Great turn around.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
That gorilla snot that Porsche used to glue stuff down is so much fun to clean up.
Is that what the glue is made out of? I figure it was some kind of toxic waste - what else would still be tacky after 22 years and a few floods?

I didn't bother gluing anything at all down. Once I start running that car again, if anything needs to be glued I'll do it with some 3M spray stuff. But even the new stuff I got from Colin still was tacky, so I didn't really think I needed to add anything else. We'll see what slides around during normal use.....
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NIce! I'm gonna have to come check that out and show you where my car's at. I wrapped my wheel about a year ago. Not difficult, but time consuming. Go with the Agla kit, not wheelskins. I have a black wheelskins cover and an extra 4 spoke wheel (no leather on it). Lemme know if you need either and they're yours.

Lemme know what your plans are for recovering the dash. I have a spare in the basement that I'd like to recover to recoup some $$.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:23 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
NIce! I'm gonna have to come check that out and show you where my car's at. I wrapped my wheel about a year ago. Not difficult, but time consuming. Go with the Agla kit, not wheelskins. I have a black wheelskins cover and an extra 4 spoke wheel (no leather on it). Lemme know if you need either and they're yours.

Lemme know what your plans are for recovering the dash. I have a spare in the basement that I'd like to recover to recoup some $$.
Yeah...I need to see your car again.

I appreciate the offer on the wheel - I've got my 1/2 way done with the Alga kit - I ran out of thread. Need to find some more.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the dash yet, but whatever it is, I've got a spare core to do it with, so it should be minimal downtime for me.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

I have more thread. I'm pretty sure I used the thread from the Wheelskins kit and didn't touch the Agla stuff. Lemme know if you want the thread, I think it's in my basement. 267-261-7670
Old 11-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I missed the original thread. What's the story on the flood recovery?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 PM
billyblooshoes
2nd Gear

daryl took all the pics and i did most of the work. he's a lazy POS .
Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billyblooshoes
daryl took all the pics and i did most of the work. he's a lazy POS .
Figures you'd join just to bust my stones.

Yes, Bill did most of the work that involved getting dirty or fitting in small places (and is the effeminate looking guy in the pictures). But close supervision is very important, especially with free labor.

Oh....and he drives an Audi with PRNDL gears and stock wheels.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
I missed the original thread. What's the story on the flood recovery?
I don't know that I every had a real thread on it. But basically, we've had three river floods (of the Delaware north of Philadelphia) in a 2-year period. We've been OK for a year or so now....

I found this car about a year ago in Yardley between the Delaware River and the Canal, so I know if flooded in at least 2 of the last 3 floods. It was a complete disaster when I bought it (for almost nothing).....and as mentioned earlier, the interior was out of it when it flooded. It probably would haven been best for humanity if it were left in so I would have discarded it a year sooner.

So basically, besides the "normal" 944 issues, I have had to deal with sticks, sludge, and mud buildups on EVERYTHING. In addition, the "normal" electrical issues were probably twice as bad.

I've only had 911s before this. And that was a while ago. I drove a 944 a couple of times several years back and decided it handled way better for me......I still think if I were a better driver I might be on the fence, but the simple fact is that I'm not. So I can do stupid things in a 944 without the car trying to kill me.

So, I though I'd get this one. I knew I could sell the wheels for more than I paid for it, but not much else....seemed like a safe bet for a car to figure out if it was the model I wanted. And then I got it running....and drove the crap out of it for a couple months. Now I have a seriously unhealthy addiction to this car (read: 2x what it's worth even on its best day by the time I'm done with everything including paint).

But posting that here is preaching to the choir anyway.....

Quick Reply: Interior 50% done