Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever have a leak like this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

2 things to consider. Do you have the right seal on the front of the lower BS? Second thing, did you replace the O-RING behind the BS seal by removing the front BS housing?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep did that.

Everything and I do mean everything gaskets bearings etc. was re-placed or re-built on this motor 2 plus years of work..So both balance shafts where re-built all new gaskets (mylar) sleeves where replaced. Checked on the mylar gaskets from my last check and gasket is in place no tears intact.

That is why I am stumped? Upper BS is dry as a bone. Bottom BS has leaked from the first time I started the car.

Anyone out ever had to seal the cover with Yama Bond?
Just wondering if this will work long term?

thanks

-BB

Originally Posted by Wallace
If the lower BS seal is new and still leaking, you may have to replace the sleeve on the balance shaft, just like aribop said.

Over time the seal wears a groove in the sleeve, and even when you put a new seal in, the groove is still there, and oil leaks.

When you change the seal, check the condition of the sleeve. If there is a groove that is deep enough to catch your fingernail on, then it needs replacing.

Another possibilty, i dont think anyone mentioned, is the mylar washers at the balance shafts. Were these replaced and installed correctly?
Alot of people forget these. I know I did, and I had a simular leak as you.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have a leak like this?