Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 18" Sport Design wheels with tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:27 PM
jasoncoker
Instructor

Default FS: 18" Sport Design wheels with tires

Hello All,

Description

996 Sport Design wheels made by BBS for Porsche.
18x7.5 ET 50 with 225/40 Falken Azenis RT-615 90% tread
18x10 ET 65 with 285/30 Falken GR-Beta tires with 10% tread
Colored crest center caps included.

2 wheels have minor curb rash.

Price $1000. Local sale preferred, but I could ship if you really want 'em. I am in Los Angeles

My photos of the wheels are too large to post, but you can see them here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561276238oaensb

email: jasoncoker@sbcglobal.net
cell: 818.554.3235

Thanks for looking,

j
Old 11-03-2007 | 02:35 PM
jasoncoker
Instructor

back to the top
Old 11-24-2007 | 01:39 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Just to close the loop on these wheels with a quick review - they have now been installed on my car - photos below.

The wheels were in good condition overall. Sadly the wheels arrived with the emblems from both rear wheels detached and loose in the box - This was easily fixed. The wheels had been well packaged by UPS.

The "minor" curb rash and cosmetic flaws were worse in reality than reflected in the photos (as can be the case in photographs taken at night with a flash) in addition to some minor scratches on each of the faces that probably will be able to be buffed out. My tire installer indicated that the curb rash had probably been ground smooth with a grinding wheel. There were some defects in the finish that were not visible in the photos, nor disclosed by the seller.

The wheels were described as being "two years old, maybe a little more" - The wear and tear and the pattern of balancing weights on the inside suggested they had previously had two sets of tires mounted on them, so the age was probably at 4-6 years old, depending upon milage. The wear and tear on the wheels was consistent with 4+ years of wear.

The tire wear was not as represented. The rear tires were worn beyond their wear bars and the front tires were worn beyond 4/32" tread, so probably had less then 40% tread remaining, rather than the 90% claimed. All four tires were discarded upon receipt.

Overall, the wheels are looking good on the car and I am happy with them, but there were some inaccuracies in the advertised details and the seller should have been more accurate in disclosing the condition of the wheels and the tires. The advertisement portrayed wheels in excellent condition and front tires in nearly new condition - this was inaccurate and what was received were wheels in good condition and tires and poor/unusable condition, factors that materially affect the value of the goods purchased.

Originally Posted by jasoncoker
Hello All,

Description

996 Sport Design wheels made by BBS for Porsche.
18x7.5 ET 50 with 225/40 Falken Azenis RT-615 90% tread
18x10 ET 65 with 285/30 Falken GR-Beta tires with 10% tread
Colored crest center caps included.

2 wheels have minor curb rash.

Price $1000. Local sale preferred, but I could ship if you really want 'em. I am in Los Angeles

My photos of the wheels are too large to post, but you can see them here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561276238oaensb

email: jasoncoker@sbcglobal.net
cell: 818.554.3235

Thanks for looking,

j

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2007 | 02:24 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

If those are the pictures the seller sent you of the tires, I would say they are accurately described.
Old 11-24-2007 | 02:35 PM
jasoncoker
Instructor

Default my side of the story

Hello All,

Wow, heavy words are so lightly thrown (to paraphrase Morrissey).

So there are six Rennlist threads bashing me without so much as a rebuttal on my part. Nice mob mentality.

Wayne Devonport aka “Wellardmac” has given you his side of the story and I feel that it is appropriate to give you mine. I saw the threads a couple of days ago, but was too busy to respond as I have worked 65 hrs. in the past 5 days in the emergency department.

Wayne, you should have contacted me first before insulting me publicly to express your displeasure. You should have contacted me immediately and maybe we could have worked something out. I could have refunded your money and sent the wheels to someone else on the list. Instead, I actually emailed you to see if you had installed the wheels and to find out how you liked them on your car! Boy, was I naive.

So, here is the transaction from my standpoint:

I wanted to sell the wheels locally so as to avoid having any type of misunderstanding about the wheels and I also did not know how to ship them across the country. This much was stated in my ad. If I were trying to deceive someone, I would not have stated, “Local sale preferred, but I can ship if you really want ‘em.” I had a line of people who wanted to buy the wheels and I went through the requests in the order received so as to be fair to everyone involved—even though several potential buyers were local!

I then used half of one of my few days off to go to load the tires and go to the UPS Store for shipment. During this time, I discussed with Wellardmac the cost of shipping, packaging, and insurance. He stated that he needed to open a new bank account to link with PayPal b/c he was a self-described “security freak” [not my words], and wanted a discrete bank account attached to it. He offered to pay by credit card and I explained that I felt the wheels were a good price and therefore did not want to pay the extra credit card fees. He stated that he would pay via an account transfer instead. I agreed and the wheels were packaged for shipment. I had to make another trip to the UPS Store to sign my credit card charge and was informed that after I had left, Wellardmac had called the store to make sure that the wheels were actually there even though he had heard me discussing the packaging information which I then relayed directly to him.

At this point, I no longer had the wheels ($1000) and had paid the associated shipment costs ($267). So, in good faith, I was out almost $1,300 with only a promise of payment from the purchaser! I was under the impression that I would be paid immediately, but instead did not receive payment until the next day. I still was not worried, however. It turns out the buyer also paid with an E-check instead of an account transfer. This E-check would take over 5 business days to clear, incur a nominal fee, and it was for the wrong amount (only a trivial difference, though).

The day before the wheels were to arrive at Wellardmac’s house, I noticed that the PayPal check clearance date had now been postponed almost 15 days (until 29.Nov.)! I tried to contact Wayne to find out what had happened, and began to get nervous about the transaction. I called UPS and had them hold the wheels at the shipment hub until we could straighten everything out. It turns out that there was a PayPal error which was compounded by a B of A error. Wayne spent a lot of time talking to these vendors via telephone and conferencing me in. I suggested wiring the money to my account as a resolution for all of this (and having B of A absorb the fee in light of their error). The transaction was getting very unwieldy at this point, and I just wanted to resolve it. I also wanted to receive payment for the goods prior to their delivery (now 6 days from when I shipped them).

I told Mr. Devonport that I would not release the wheels until I was paid. He was upset by this, and felt that I was needlessly prolonging the transaction. Obviously we have different points of view on this, but I would never expect someone to give me goods before he received payment for them.

So, Wayne ultimately paid for everything with his credit card. I noticed that he had sent too much money and refunded him the difference immediately.

Now, as far as the wheels not being as described:
I answered every email promptly and accurately. I sent Mr. Devonport ten high resolution photos of the wheels (I am no photographer but I did the best I could). I never stated that the wheels were two years old. Rather, I said that they had been on my car just over a year and in storage just under a year. I thought that the wear descriptions were accurate and had already explained to Wayne that he should replace the rear tires. The fronts were not on the car very long, and I am not sure what the quarter test proves since these tire are borderline DOT-R tires and likely do not have as deep a tread as other tires. He also told me he was going to replace all of the tires since he had recently purchased a new set. I did not send photos of each tire for this reason. Whatever, I did not willfully misrepresent the tires. Finally, all of the centercaps were on the wheels and intact when I dropped them off at the UPS store. I do not know what happened en route.

Mr. Devonport got $3,300 wheels for $1000. Even if he refinished each one (which is not even necessary) he would still have gotten out for less than half price. He had all of the photos to examine prior to his purchase also. I had wanted to sell the wheels locally and I really wish that I had. I think my actions detailed above show that I was not trying to defraud another Rennlister.

So, to summarize the names I have been called by Wellardmac in these threads:
suspect character, irrational, unreasonable, paranoid, penny-pinching, jackass, and untrustworthy. He also stated something to effect of: “What do you expect from a guy who drives a 944.” He impugned my character and integrity by insinuating that I am dishonest and have broken the trust of the Rennlist community. All of this was done before even contacting me to discuss things first.

Furthermore, other “sheeple” in these threads have called me a weasel and said that I should be blacklisted from Rennlist.
This is all very mature and speaks volumes about those involved.

I have said my piece, thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Jason Coker

P.S. I had no idea about passing on the credit card fees as I am not a vendor. Wayne, your fees were refunded this morning.
Old 11-24-2007 | 03:01 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

He also stated something to effect of: “What do you expect from a guy who drives a 944.”
put your flamesuit on
Old 11-24-2007 | 03:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
If those are the pictures the seller sent you of the tires, I would say they are accurately described.
The photos are mine taken after arrival.

Originally Posted by StyleLab
put your flamesuit on
This episode is now closed from my perspective. I've said my piece, Jason has said his. The photos reflect the truth, we all move on.
Old 11-24-2007 | 03:26 PM
marky522
Drifting

First of all i find it VERY disrespectful that you would come out in public before trying to discuss this with the seller. Escpescially if he went through all tha BS to help you. I woldnt have done any of it till i had Cash in hand.

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
The wheels were in good condition overall. Sadly the wheels arrived with the emblems from both rear wheels detached and loose in the box - This was easily fixed. The wheels had been well packaged by UPS.
That would be an issue to take up with UPS not the seller, the center caps are know to spin in these whels but it would take quite a drop to make them pop out.

The wheels were described as being "two years old, maybe a little more" - The wear and tear and the pattern of balancing weights on the inside suggested they had previously had two sets of tires mounted on them, so the age was probably at 4-6 years old, depending upon milage. The wear and tear on the wheels was consistent with 4+ years of wear.
How can you tell how old a set of rims are by the times its had weights put on?? He's running R compound tires, he could swap back and forth, he could have them balenced every oil change YOU DONT KNOW without talking to him.

The tire wear was not as represented. The rear tires were worn beyond their wear bars and the front tires were worn beyond 4/32" tread, so probably had less then 40% tread remaining, rather than the 90% claimed. All four tires were discarded upon receipt.
The rear tires were said to be only %10 and thats what the pics show, i am missing your point on the rears??? The fronts go just past Georges head, thats almost a 1/4 of an inch, the tires are only 8/32 NEW!!! Exactly as he said...

Overall, the wheels are looking good on the car and I am happy with them, but there were some inaccuracies in the advertised details and the seller should have been more accurate in disclosing the condition of the wheels and the tires. The advertisement portrayed wheels in excellent condition and front tires in nearly new condition - this was inaccurate and what was received were wheels in good condition and tires and poor/unusable condition, factors that materially affect the value of the goods purchased.
The only issue i see that you have a valid point on MAY be the damage, and if its so minor that you couldnt see it in the pics, you still got a smoking deal on the rims. You may have been able to resolve things by dealing first with the seller, but if i was him i wouldnt do **** for ya now.

Mark
Old 11-24-2007 | 03:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Email was sent to the seller before going public. No response was received.

The front tires were measured at <4/32" by my installer, that is at the point where they are getting close to replacement. The rear tires were worn beyond the wear bars, i.e less than required to pass a state inspection. Wear down to the wear bears = no tread.

I'm not going to get into arguments with 3rd parties who are not in possession of all the facts.
Old 11-24-2007 | 03:56 PM
marky522
Drifting

I'm not going to get into arguments with 3rd parties who are not in possession of all the facts.
Thats your best comment yet, YOUR the person who jumped the gun and brought this up for third party opinions!!!

Dude you showed the pics, the tires are clearly more than 1/8 of an inch where the pic shows, and he told you flat out that the rears were only 10% remaining, that would fail anywhere, at best thats 1MM of rubber, most wear bars are 2-3mm. I was wondering when i read the post why somone would bother to pay for shipping on two tires that wouldnt be of any use???

You say that you sent him an e-mail before you posted this, he says he didnt recieve one, Fair enough MAYBE he didnt get it for some reason, but did you call him??? If i have his number at this point definately you do???

Mark
Old 11-24-2007 | 04:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Look, 0% left, 10% left - not an issue. Both fail a state inspection.

There is a big difference between 90% tread remaining and <4/32" where most installers would start telling you to think about replacing a tire. My installer said that the tire was not worth keeping.

When push came to shove Jason did the right thing and we'll leave it at that.

I know that neither of us were happy with how this transaction went and I'm sure that we both learned a few things and could have done things differently. In the end we both got what we wanted and we move on.
Old 11-24-2007 | 04:13 PM
DMB14
Racer

I really don't see what all the hubbub is about... You were lucky to get the wheels so cheap.
Old 11-24-2007 | 04:15 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I can't believe it, an argument about the condition of the tires, when you're paying for the rims.

In before this gets blocked.
Old 11-24-2007 | 04:50 PM
jasoncoker
Instructor

This is getting absurd. Just let it die.

I am only responding in order to refute a glaring misstatement.

Wayne, you began the flaming 17.Nov and did not email me until 21.Nov. THAT email was only in response to me asking you how you liked the wheels. I did not respond immediately b/c of all the shifts I was working. You DID NOT come to me first.

note: I will be unable to respond to anything until Sunday night so please do not think that I am ignoring you.
Old 11-24-2007 | 04:52 PM
marky522
Drifting

This is getting absurd. Just let it die.

I am only responding in order to refute a glaring misstatement.

Wayne, you began the flaming 17.Nov and did not email me until 21.Nov. THAT email was only in response to me asking you how you liked the wheels. I did not respond immediately b/c of all the shifts I was working. You DID NOT come to me first.

note: I will be unable to respond to anything until Sunday night so please do not think that I am ignoring you.
ok, ill let it die, I know i would get REALLY pissed off if somone did that to me. And without a leg to stand on to begin with...

Mark

Quick Reply: FS: 18" Sport Design wheels with tires