Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Acrylic Sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porcho heat
I'm in for a manual roof, if they happen!
+1 I love my manualness
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cie_lab

As for weight, It's not going to be much. 15lbs maybe?
15 pounds? Ouch. My factory sunroof (without interior panel) is 18 pounds. Not much weight savings there. Once you get a prototype built hopefully it will weigh in at much less than 15. Cool concept, I hope it works!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:11 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Got an estimate on weight?

It would be good to include the seal, wouldn't it? Just so everyone doesn't have to go searching for and ordering their own? Also, it would save everyone effort and money if we could use the factory (either power or manual) latches and mounts.

I didn't see the other thread, but this sounds great so far! Depending how this progresses, I will be interested. Thanks for the efforts!
Maybe we can do a group buy from Pelican or something once these things are made and we know how many people need the seals.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Also too, we can have this in any tint you'd like, including clear. The bronze looked pretty cool, though.
Is there a cost difference to have it clear? Limo tint is $20 and it is not hard to apply to a surface that is relatively flat. The buyer can DIY to his/her specs.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Is there any danger of the acrylic yellowing or hazing with time?

And would the hardener cost extra?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not affiliated but,

I am under the impression that polycarbonate yellows much more easily than acrylic.
You definetly want the hardner, as it will improve durability.
Im not sure that the tint being sold in the acrylic is because the acyrilic was died this way at the factory the sheeting was made in, (IE it could be more than just a surface tint but rather a pigment tint.)

It certainly sounds interesting!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a spare sunroof with OE hardware on it, so I'd be game for one of the early prototypes even if there is a little extra cost to be shared to help pay for the mold.

Not trying to be a downer at all, but you might be hard-pressed to come up with an order for 50 or more.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think this seal/hardware stuff will become an issue down the road. It's just so hard for some of us to throw money down sight unseen for something we realy want but have no idea what we are getting. I realy hope this works out trust me, it's a fantastic idea, but i agree that an order of 50 or so may be tough. The only way I see around that is if someone wanted to purchase the remainding 30 or so for sale on other sites/forums.

Just my .02.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Can't you get UV stabilized Polycarbonate?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
ekeeton
Instructor

I'll buy one if it turns out to be a quality product similar to the original Saratoga and costs less than $500.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdjones2000
Speaking as one who used to work in the manufacture of cell cast acrylics (Like the ones you are going to use here), I wanted to say that you can expect that these will be prone to scratching, and I expect that they will start crazing after a couple of years, especially at any stress points.

I don't want to put this down or anything, but want people to know what to expect.... Be careful with cleaning them, don't use harsh solvents/soaps (Ivory soap is best).

I think that if you could come up with a frame for the thing, both to hold the acrylic panel and the weatherstripping, that this would be the best. If you use 0.220" acrylic and mount attaching hardware to it, you are going to be prone to stress crazing.

Good luck with it,

Keith
Keith,

Your input is appreciated. I will have to look into this. It probably wouldn't be a big deal to get some aluminum c-channel to run around the outside edge.

My thinking is that we would use 'Mushroom' caps to help spread the load where the fasteners are.

My biggest concern is for the scratch resistance. The fabricator is insistant that this will not be a problem AS LONG AS people take care to baby the top. They made it clear that the hardner will add significant cost as it needs to be applied at the factory when the sheet is made. They do not have the ability to do it.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Keith,

Your input is appreciated. I will have to look into this. It probably wouldn't be a big deal to get some aluminum c-channel to run around the outside edge.

My thinking is that we would use 'Mushroom' caps to help spread the load where the fasteners are.

My biggest concern is for the scratch resistance. The fabricator is insistant that this will not be a problem AS LONG AS people take care to baby the top. They made it clear that the hardner will add significant cost as it needs to be applied at the factory when the sheet is made. They do not have the ability to do it.
IF people baby it, then yes, it will be much better than polycarbonate. Acrylics are much harder and less prone to scratching and UV degradation than polycarbonates. I just want people to understand that this will be a difference between the glass ones and these. The weight/cost savings are the advantages, however.

For the poster above, the UV sensitivity is due to the polymer chain backbone on polycarbonate, so very little to do there that will really make a difference. They can add additives/coatings, but there will still be sensitivity.

I am almost tempted to get a spare top from the local Porsche junkyard ($100), cut out a hole and put an acrylic piece in there :idea: . Hard to make it look beautiful, methinks.

Let's see how far your prototypes go, and how they come out.

Again, good luck!

Keith
Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

I'm down for one if they don't yellow easily
Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

We will be making 5 prototypes. 2 are spoken for. Looking for 3 others interested in being a part of this. Please pm me.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM
krazE
Advanced

$189 sounds good, but bronze tint? how about black tint

Quick Reply: New Acrylic Sunroofs