Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Acrylic Sunroofs

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:51 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

I would like to see the roof specifically designed to work with an inexpensive generic seal. The mounting hardware seems like it would be relatively easy to come up with.

If this roof was used everyday, what would a realistic life expectency be? I would consider it "dead" when it has significantly discolored with significant scratching. Obviously many variables, but ...
Old 10-31-2007 | 05:57 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

i am in for a prototype
i have an electric top '84 NA 944
how much for the prototype
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:29 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
i am in for a prototype
i have an electric top '84 NA 944
how much for the prototype
pm sent
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:33 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
I would like to see the roof specifically designed to work with an inexpensive generic seal. The mounting hardware seems like it would be relatively easy to come up with.

If this roof was used everyday, what would a realistic life expectency be? I would consider it "dead" when it has significantly discolored with significant scratching. Obviously many variables, but ...
Keep in mind this stuff is used all the time outdoors in much harsher environment than you'll see with your vehicle. It is common for boat hatches (think blazing tropical sun and salt air) as well as boat whindshields, signage, and windows. Polycarbonate would be great for its strength (think bulletproof 'glass'), but it yellows significantly and scratches very easily.

With that said, the only way to prove this out will be to get the prototypes rolled out and see what happens.
Old 10-31-2007 | 07:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why not look into gluing the fasteners? Dont forget security, if theres just a couple exposed hex head bolts on the top of the car for a thief to get in....
Old 10-31-2007 | 09:17 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

a quick tap with a hammer will get a theif in too
Old 11-01-2007 | 01:57 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

+1 for $189...i'm converting over from nonworking sunroof to manual...just get rid of the complexity and save some more weight by removing the motor and gears.
Old 11-01-2007 | 01:59 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by apierce918
a quick tap with a hammer will get a theif in too
With acrylic? The dude would have an easier time just quick hammer tapping a window.

Not to mention why would a theif want to do some hercules **** and climb up into the sunroof when he can just bust the window? I dont think a glass sunroof would change how secure our cars are in any way
Old 11-01-2007 | 08:59 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock
With acrylic? The dude would have an easier time just quick hammer tapping a window.

Not to mention why would a theif want to do some hercules **** and climb up into the sunroof when he can just bust the window? I dont think a glass sunroof would change how secure our cars are in any way
i meant on the window, just that if a theif wants in, he isnt gonna look for a nice way to do it because he probably isnt going to keep the car
Old 11-01-2007 | 10:02 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Any chance of a design where we could transfer hardware from our existing sunroofs?
Old 11-01-2007 | 10:22 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by PeteL
Any chance of a design where we could transfer hardware from our existing sunroofs?
That's sortof what I was hoping for.

Lord knows there are plenty of OE sunroofs laying about that could be purchased from dead 944's for around $50 or so.
Old 11-01-2007 | 10:50 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Excellent work Rick! Glad to see someone taking the ball and running with it!

I'm interested in an electric after the bugs are worked out. I would intend this to be a full time replacement for my regular roof so I would probably wait until some real world day to day experience has been had.

Also need to sell the wife on the idea. She is in full tilt home improvement mode and can't wait for me to park the 951 for the winter.
Old 11-01-2007 | 12:06 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
Excellent work Rick! Glad to see someone taking the ball and running with it!

I'm interested in an electric after the bugs are worked out. I would intend this to be a full time replacement for my regular roof so I would probably wait until some real world day to day experience has been had.

Also need to sell the wife on the idea. She is in full tilt home improvement mode and can't wait for me to park the 951 for the winter.
Hopefully we can get the protoypes working to where we can offer a complete roof by spring.
Old 11-01-2007 | 12:59 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by theedge
Why not look into gluing the fasteners? Dont forget security, if theres just a couple exposed hex head bolts on the top of the car for a thief to get in....
This was the only way I got my keys out of the car when I locked them in the back hatch. The sunroof was barely cracked open, and I happened to be at a hardware store no less. So yeah, even the stock roof can be like this if you don't close it all the way.

They even let me borrow a ladder so I could crawl in without tearing anything up.
Old 11-01-2007 | 01:08 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Just got back from the SEMA show in Vegas. I asked a couple vendors of sunroofs about one for a 944. One guy said he didn't know if they were making any for the NEW model Porsches yet (doh) and another guy said that there was "little to no demand" for anything that old.

Looks like it's an open market for you.

Quick Reply: New Acrylic Sunroofs