Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 RS BARN Exhaust *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944S2 RS BARN Exhaust *pics*

Hi all, I ordered a RS BARN exhaust for my 89' 944S2. It already came with the Stahl header when I bought it and some cobbled generic exhaust and it sounded obnoxious.

Talking points on the RS exhaust:
- Pete @ RS Barn was very helpful via email
- Tig welds are great and fitament was good
- Middle hanger provision was not compatible with the 944S2 (maybe 968) waiting to hear back.
- The "quiet" muffler is just a Dynomax Turbo Muffler 25"long (I was expecting a custom muffler or at least a one in Stainless Steel)
- The "track" muffler is Stainless Steel but is really not suitable for street driving says Pete.
- The sound of the quiet muffler with header and test pipe produces a louder idle tone (not real deep) at 3k rpm it sounds a bit ricey, but as the rpm's climb the sound gets mean.
- Gained some back pressure I think with the internal 'S' design vs straight through mufflers with this exhaust which I feel gave me some torque down low I had lost. Anything past 4k rpm and the tach really swings fast!

Anyone have any experience with this exhaust or use a different type of muffler with the Stahl header and test pipe?

To date, nothing I have heard beats the B&B I had on my 84' 944 w/ cat. Deep rumble at idle, melodic at 3k (best sound of rpm range for this exhaust) and howled pretty good in the upper rpm's.

Also the Dynomax's fiberglass packing was shedding all over the back of the car during the initial drive. Looked like I had major swirl marks. I have to clean off the car.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/pa260004.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/pa260005.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/pa260008.jpg
Attached Images    
Old 10-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Looks nice do they make exhausts for turbo cars too? I do have to agree with you and b&b though. I have one on my 951 and decelerating around 4k rpm it sounds amazing.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

From my experience with the design of the B&B I would say this one will fit too. The pipe bends are all the same, except the RS Barn 944S exhaust uses a offset inlet and center outlet. Thier 968 exhaust uses a offset inlet and outlet. Whereas in my experience the turbo uses a center inlet and center outlet.

I called B&B trying to get just thier muffler and tip combo but they said they do not sell individual components...only catbacks.

With this kit I bought I wish I had gone with the built-in resonator option to tone down the ricey sound at 3k.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:44 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best sound I could squeeze out of my 89 S2 was stock exhaust line with straight pipe welded in place of cat and retaining stock muffler and resonator. Nice deep rumble under 3k rpm. This was with a Firehawk Porsche racing chip in my DME.

-Nick
Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

B&B cat-back.

My car came with one, it's the best sounding 944 I have heard. Well worth the money you have to shell down. Mine even came with the discontinued oval tip and not the uglier rolled tip. The B&B is really deep at idle, never raspy at all, and is very quiet inside the car. Not annoying at all. It even pops if I give just the right throttle when the car is coasting (it sounds awesome). I have been thinking of getting a bolt in cat delete made, but really don't want to ruin the amazing sound.

The B&B is also fully stainless, which is a huge plus.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:03 PM
944CS
Drifting

charlie,
i have a stainless 2.5" resonator that will get rid of that rasp, pm me for more info if you're interested
Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

With the Stahl header you are going to have the ricier sound. I have 2 968s with the RSBarn catback and the one with the without the Stahl header sounds better, in fact pretty much perfect, I think it is just the nature of the header. It does sound better when it warms up but when cold it is definitely buzzier/raspier.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
B&B cat-back.

My car came with one, it's the best sounding 944 I have heard. Well worth the money you have to shell down. Mine even came with the discontinued oval tip and not the uglier rolled tip. The B&B is really deep at idle, never raspy at all, and is very quiet inside the car. Not annoying at all. It even pops if I give just the right throttle when the car is coasting (it sounds awesome). I have been thinking of getting a bolt in cat delete made, but really don't want to ruin the amazing sound.

The B&B is also fully stainless, which is a huge plus.
Yeah I agree! Luckily I bought the one for my 951 on sale for $650. When I bought it I had second thoughts since it was 2.5" when there are plenty of companies out there that make 3" and 4". The look, sound, and build quality changed my mind over the last year. Now I regret not getting their nice stainless testpipe as my bursch iron one is junk. When I installed my testpipe with by B&B system it sounded even better. It became noticeably louder in a aggressive way. Could you post a pic of the tip? Mine has the roller one and I think it looks fine. Some people don't like the muffler because its not a straight through type, I don't mind.

Sorry about taking this more OT

Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

With the Stahl header you are going to have the ricier sound. I have 2 968s with the RSBarn catback and the one with the without the Stahl header sounds better, in fact pretty much perfect, I think it is just the nature of the header. It does sound better when it warms up but when cold it is definitely buzzier/raspier.
Mark, this is the kind of information I was looking for
Do you have the RS BARN Sport Cat on either of your cars? Also what exhaust system did you opt for; either the quiet (dynomax) or louder track version (?? muffler) on both your 968's? Do you know what muffler is used for the track version?

Pete emailed me last night from RS BARN and stated that the 4-1 header really changes the tone of the exhaust not verus the 4-2-1 header. If there is no cure for this sound I will be wanting to go back to the OE header and Y-pipe. I am hoping the sport cat will take the raspiness and ricey tone away, but I want to be sure before I drop more $$.

Does anyone have these items laying around?

Cory, I am curious does your B&B have the 4-bolt flange that mates up to the cat? Reason I ask is when I spoke to B&B they said they did not make an exhaust that fits the 944S2. I had a 951 model on my early 944 with a custome 3 to 4-bolt flange adapter. BTW: I love the old 4" oval slash cut tip! Damn did that exhaust sound good! I miss it!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Charlie-I do not have the sport cat just the "quiet" version of the cat back. I know Pete was working on a couple of ideas for the sound from the header but have not gotten back to him about it. I have no thoughts of losing the header as I like the way the header seems to free the revs.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
stefon
Instructor

Hello,

Nice exhaust , congrats !
Is it possible to make a video with this exhaust , please ?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Aviator
Advanced

I'd love to see a video as well, a winter project seems in order and I've been searching for a great exhaust for the S2. Wouldn't mind having to do a little fabrication, a cat-less system would be great as my state has no emissions...

OT: Charlie, how do you find the MaxS2 chip?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Charlie-

Might be able to help out with the headers and y-pipe.

Cheers,
Riff
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Mark, I heard back from Pete today and he said he will be testing his deeper toned muffler along with a resonator built into the catback pipe. He felt it may be a suitable kit to meet the sound I am looking for. Hopefully, he will send me a video clip. I do like the way the header frees up the breathing and makes the engine rev faster, but this is my daily driver so I do not want to put up with an a sound I do not like.
I would love to keep the header though!

Regarding me taking a video clip my friend has a mini-VHS camcorder but I am not sure on how to get that footage into a format that can be uploaded onto a computer. Any thoughts?

Aviator, The 944S2 chips can be seen and purchased here:
http://www.maxhpkit.com/prod_944S2.htm

The car came with the chip installed so I cannort comment on the differences over stock. The PO was a beta tester for the chips so I have the stock chip, versions 1-3, and then the final version in the car now. Russ Berry skipped over v.4 and went straight to v.5, then v.6.
The PO stated that the torque was up in the mid range rpms, pulled and reved faster/harder above 4k and the from stop torque and response was considerably improved.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Good to hear the news Charlie, mines a daily driver when it's running and sunny.

Quick Reply: 944S2 RS BARN Exhaust *pics*