Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a reply from Porsche AG

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah Jones
Mark,

Good discussion!

Micah

Thanks, Back at ya, its weird I am learning so much at work that i dont even realize it till i get to discuss it with others... Thats one of the reasons i am so happy to be in the position i am, I feel that i can help people on here more now due to my job, and that is my goal I have learned so much on here now i may get the chance to help a few people in my area.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

GT2s are just plain insane...
530HP is it now? on a stripped 2WD car?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:08 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Never said the Cayenne wasn't an amazing SUV. I said that I find it comical to say they don't want to dilute the brand of a high end SPORTS car company when they sell an SUV and are getting into NASCAR. I mean, they started making TRACTORS for crying outloud. For people to say they are too good for an entry-priced car is hilarious. Mr. Porsche made THE entry-priced car!! The original Bug. My guess is Ferdinand would disagree with that snob attitude.
I will give you the point of Nascar, but beyond that I believe Porsche recognized there need to grow as a company, for fear of being bought by a bigger company and lose the "Family owned Co. Feeling" that they are so proud of. They saw an opportunity to help them as a Co. and i honstly was anti Cayenne untill i drove one and realized that they were able to make it a Porsche.

You are right I have not driven a Cayman. But I have driven a Boxster (non-S) and definitely wasn't impressed enough to want to pay base price FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for one.
You are quite correct, I am not sure i could drive a base Boxster, (986) the new ones are much better. The S's are a blast though. I believe that the Boxster prices are about to PLUMMET because the used car field is becoming very saturated with them, and it does cost a premium to maintain one.

My comment about it not being THAT much more of a car still stands. For what it SHOULD be vs what it IS. I'm saying the Boxster SHOULD outperform the 944 on EVERY level and the fact we are even talking about them, comparing them, proves there's an issue. Technological increases in automobiles dictate that the car SHOULD whale on a 944 for the same price or less (taking into account inflation). Someone brought up the Corvette, and that's a perfect example. Another is the Zs we've been talking about (Datsun 200Z vs Nissan 350Z).
I would love the opportunity to take a stock, maintained 944 and a base Boxster and try both of them to there capabilites, I have more seat time in a Boxster at this point. (unless you count under the dash).

One can dream right? I don't want a Porsche Civic, but I think a $35k-market car should not be completely out of the question for Porsche, and that there are actually life-long Porsche fans who don't see the Boxster as the end all that Porsche seems to make it out to be.
I guess that i agree, i dont see any reason they couldnt!!!!

MArk
Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
GT2s are just plain insane...
530HP is it now? on a stripped 2WD car?

530/505 hp/tq
two step launching
20psi of boost
full titanium Exhaust...

I cant wait to test drive one

Mark
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
The RMS issue is fixed, and yes it took them redesiging the part something insane like 17 times to get one that deosnt leak.
It is NOT. Like I said, I know family members with these cars who had the seal replaced a month ago. The factory went to a seal that gives more, but the root issue is the crankshaft developing axial play. That's pretty critical. They DID NOT fix this issue.

Secondly, The engine costs $8k. (which, for the record, isn't exactly small change for a car that now costs $30k). The associated costs (labor, seals, etc) drive the replacement up to the $13-14k range - and that's while supply is plentiful and dealer mechanics are trained.
It could go higher. My uncle theorizes that they're keeping the price artificially low because of the number of engines that need replacement. 10 years ago when they have no obligation to service these cars, an engine could be $20k plus.

A Corvette Z06 longblock costs $11-13k. A 911 engine with 4 cams and an unconventional design (a flat 6 isn't compact- more resources than a smallblock) cannot possibly cost "only" $8k without the company losing money on each one they sell.

Last edited by yellowline; 10-21-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:06 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by yellowline
It is NOT. Like I said, I know family members with these cars who had the seal replaced a month ago. The factory went to a seal that gives more, but the root issue is the crankshaft developing axial play. They DID NOT fix this issue.
you are correct on the axial play, but this is supposed to be checked when you replace the seal. There are specs that it must meet, again it could be the dealership you take it to because i am sure there are dealerships that do not check this. I can assure you the RMS issue has been resolved, I am sure the occasional one will occure but the mass of cars have been fixed.

It could go higher. My uncle theorizes that they're keeping the price artificially low because of the number of engines that need replacement. 10 years ago when they have no obligation to service these cars, an engine could be $20k plus.
You are correct the older engines are INSANELY expensive, but i can tell you it is the old engine design, those old engines are assembled in Germany by Hans where he does everything. I am not sure the exact way the new ones are but they dont have the "personal" hands on process anymore. Perfect example for you, I replaced an engine in a older boxter, base boxster it was 10kish out the door including a clutch, we gave the guy a little break on engine price. That is the new style "cheaper to produce" engine. I replaced a 996 GT3 engine which is the old style air cooled bottom end with the water cooled heads. That engine was 23K. Yeah it was a GT3 but thats the way it is. I am sure that the prices will fluctuate a little but the new style engine will never be 20K.

A Corvette Z06 longblock costs $11-13k. A 911 engine with 4 cams and an unconventional design (a flat 6 isn't compact- more resources than a smallblock) cannot possibly cost "only" $8k without costing the company a little money.
I dont believe that chevy has 11-13k invested in there engines, they can charge whatever they want because people put them in everything. I can tell you what i know. You are correct in the fact that the Porsche designed engines should cost more, everything is a matched pair on these engines for the most part etc.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Since the Boxster engine is so "relatively" cheap, can someone please make the hardware to mount it in a 944? Is that even possible? Would be a cool project.

By the way, I do not dislike the Cayenne. In fact, I'd love to own one. I understand from a business standpoint why they did it and don't have a problem with it. Just saying you can't say you're going to be a selective, high end sports car company out of one side of your mouth then make an SUV out of the other side. I am in support of anything Porsche does that helps keep them from being purchased by outside auto makers! Seriously. Including racing NASCAR. But I think if they want to get deeper in the black, a $35k entry car definitely wouldn't hurt!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 PM
marky522
Drifting

I agree, tks for the great debate Matt!!!

PS i have been thinking about a 997TT engine for a while...

Mark
Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Never said the Cayenne wasn't an amazing SUV. I said that I find it comical to say they don't want to dilute the brand of a high end SPORTS car company when they sell an SUV and are getting into NASCAR. I mean, they started making TRACTORS for crying outloud. For people to say they are too good for an entry-priced car is hilarious. Mr. Porsche made THE entry-priced car!! The original Bug. My guess is Ferdinand would disagree with that snob attitude.
Dude, you just answered your email. want an entry level porsche? Look at history. What did the 944 replace? the 924. What did the 924 replace? the 914.

did i say 914? Yes, the Porsche made jointly with WV.

Things do come full circle, only now you dont get the porsche badge. Want a 4 cyl porche? check your VW dealer.

mark, didnt mean to bust your nads. i had the gto, i loved the gto. i sold it and bought a NA, which was replaced by another S2. if i could have only one car, it would probably be a gto. since i can have more than one, the daily driver is a 330 convertible, the track car is a S2 and I just signed a contract for a house in centennial colorado with a three car garage - with no uprights in it.

what should i put in the two empty spaces? you know the two dailys are not getting the garage.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:25 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom R.
what should i put in the two empty spaces? you know the two dailys are not getting the garage.
No problem Tom, all in good fun... You go through cars like most people change socks...

Mark
Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by marky522
No problem Tom, all in good fun... You go through cars like most people change socks...

Mark
my wife is going through my clothes with the move. she wishes i would go through a few pairs of socks and tees. yes, i need every pair i have.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

my wife is going through my clothes with the move. she wishes i would go through a few pairs of socks and tees. yes, i need every pair i have.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Someone tell my new wife I need all my white Ts.

I was merely saying Ferdi made the Bug, to show Porsche should not be above an entry priced sports car. And last I checked $35k wasn't chump change, not talking about another bug. Also not saying I necessarily want a VW. Or WV. Whichever.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
A Corvette Z06 longblock costs $11-13k. A 911 engine with 4 cams and an unconventional design (a flat 6 isn't compact- more resources than a smallblock) cannot possibly cost "only" $8k without the company losing money on each one they sell.
Which is why they sell you the bare-bones 911 track car for $125,000
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Someone tell my new wife I need all my white Ts.

I was merely saying Ferdi made the Bug, to show Porsche should not be above an entry priced sports car. And last I checked $35k wasn't chump change, not talking about another bug. Also not saying I necessarily want a VW. Or WV. Whichever.
ouch. is it VW and not WV? ouch.

they wont because if they do you wont buy the vw. think mazda millenium and amanti. mazda was going to join lexus and acura and infinity with the amanti. they designed the car and were ready to go to market when the economy went to the dumpster. instead of shelving the car they called it the millenium with the miller cycle motor. i read an article when it came out that said but for the badge, the car was selling for either 5 or 10k less as a mazda than an amanti because of the saved expense of setting up the network, advertising, etc.

the same holds true for porsche and their now child vw. they can dump a lot of technology into a vw and sell it for 30k. the same car as a porsche would cost 40k. they would sell a lot more at 30, so selling one at 40 wouldnt be good business.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM
marky522
Drifting

the same holds true for porsche and their now child vw. they can dump a lot of technology into a vw and sell it for 30k. the same car as a porsche would cost 40k. they would sell a lot more at 30, so selling one at 40 wouldnt be good business.
Wow Tom... that is an amazing point of view i havent even thought of... They do that with VW, and dont loose the "Highline" "Expensive Car" Persona...

Mark

Quick Reply: Got a reply from Porsche AG