Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a reply from Porsche AG

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

The thing would be it would have to have at least 300HP to really work out.

For god's sake, a sub-30k Nissan Altima Coupe can have the VQ35 that pumps out 275HP for that car.
The new Accord coupe has an available 260HP motor.
The G37 (nearest probably competitor) has 330HP.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:49 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think the japanese vs. Porsche thing is misguided...apples to oranges. Looking strictly at the numbers, yes, many Japanese cars beat Porsche. But, there's more to it than just numbers, right? If not, we wouldn't all be here. There is a degree of 'snob appeal' as one poster wrote, but I don't think that's it either.

Fer chrissakes, it's a friggin PORSCHE. You buy one, you own a piece of history. The heritage of Porsche cannot be compared to the heritage of any Japanese automaker. Don't get me wrong, with Honda dominating F1, Toyota in rallye and just about everything else, and Mazda in...well, autocross 'n stuff they have proven their cold hearted, calculated skill.

But, let's face it, for the crowd here the Porsche reigns supreme (except for Tom R )). Are the cars perfect? That depends on your definition of perfection. Yes, you pay for the name and, I'm sorry, that truly does mean something. If not, EVERYONE would be driving a freakin' $9000 (new) Porsche and bitchin about what a low end piece o' crap it is. The same can be said of anything else. What's your brand of shoe? Do you buy a somewhat expensive Ecco or a cheap knockoff from Target? Pretty much the same shoe except in the details.

So, for everyone touting the virtues of the ever-so-boring Hontoyazda Infinexus, please go to one of the zillions of ricer forums and spout off at lenght about how great they are. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but frankly I could care less about how much cheaper and how much more performance those cars are. The snooze factor on those cars tops the charts in my book.

Now, getting back on track and in the context of this particular forum, I personally would love to see a 2-door, front engine (water cooled), rear drive coupe (vis-a-vis a 944) in the Porsche lineup. It should be priced in the mid 20s and would literally send Porsche's stock through the roof. No VW/Audi knockoff. A true from the drawing board Porsche.

With the acquisition of VW, I truly believe this could be a real posibility. I just hope they don't screw it up by putting a Porsche badge on a Rabbit

<rant off>
Old 10-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
I know. I said above that they should make a real base model by stripping the base Cayman and bringing the price down to 40. Sort of like a 924S model. Spec out wheels that are 16s or narrow 17s, take a mm or two off the sway bars, cut 10 hp. Easy cost-effective entry level car, one step above an Elise in daily driver ability.
Ok, I see what you mean. But I'd like to see something OTHER then a Boxster. That's all the Cayman is in reality. Or vice versa. Either way, a fresh, new, front engine Porsche would be great. Personally, I have no desire to own a mid-engine Porsche (or car for that matter), for many reasons.

I feel that Porsche is really missing out on a huge segment of the population when they ignore the $30k sports car market. How many would purchase a $30k Porsche just to say they own a Porsche, then fall in love with the brand, then as their salary grows, purchase a 911 years later?

And as far as heritage goes... the 350Z's "snooze factor" is as low or lower then the Boxster (non-S), has much more heritage then the Boxster and is in no way shape or form a "rice" car. IMHO.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The Z line goes back almost as far as the 911s...regardless, many people buy a Porsche for the image and also for the power and speed it presents. A 350Z has a 306HP engine. If the next Porsche were to be a $30k car, it would need at least that much if it wanted to pick up any of those sales.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
The Z line goes back almost as far as the 911s...regardless, many people buy a Porsche for the image and also for the power and speed it presents. A 350Z has a 306HP engine. If the next Porsche were to be a $30k car, it would need at least that much if it wanted to pick up any of those sales.
Yep... OR... make it a turbo so it leaves the factory at a specificly low HP number (ie, 217, give or take) leaving a ton of room for the aftermarket to play with the engine.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are on the right track with the idea of building a new 928. V8= displacment = easy reliable power. They can slap a in front engined watercooled v8, give it a manual gearbox and modern suspension and theyll have a pretty nice car. A stripped down version could easily sell in the 30's with 300hp. If it were me I would borrow an Audi suspension with higher spring rates, and perhaps even an audi motor re-badged porsche.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:27 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Yep... OR... make it a turbo so it leaves the factory at a specificly low HP number (ie, 217, give or take) leaving a ton of room for the aftermarket to play with the engine.
+1

V8s are political death traps. A 4cyl will have a better chance of getting higher MPG numbers. Turbos (and superchargers) have proven their reliability and they make a lot of sense.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cie_lab
V8s are political death traps. A 4cyl will have a better chance of getting higher MPG numbers.
A stock C6 almost matches my car's mileage. I don't think it would bother many people to gain 300 hp and lose 3 MPG. I haven't heard great things about the endurance of Vette brakes on the track. However, in terms of sheer go power, I doubt a 951 would match it on a track without needing to resort to a turbo with 5 seconds of lag.

Besides, look at the problems with modern Porsches. Rear main seals, leaky engine castings, Boxster engines smoking after 140k miles, yellowing carbon fiber. My uncle needed to replace the RMS in his 996 a month before the warranty let up. The factory won't extend his warranty, even with an offer to pay for a warranty. 996 prices are falling faster than 993 prices...the market knows that the new cars are not built to the old-time German car standard. Do we really want something like that diluting the 944/928 legacy?

I had my car emission tested at a Cadillac dealer today (dealers handle emissions tests in my state). I was checking out the new Caddies, so a salesman came out grinning and telling me he'd be glad to have my car sitting on his lot, taken as trade. I think that says it all. Let the history stay proud.

Last edited by yellowline; 10-21-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:45 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

even if its not badged a 944, the front-engine, transaxle design was a superb idea.

there's a good reason that the 599GTB does it..
Old 10-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

I doubt, Porsche will go downmarket. A Porsche is a luxury good, and in order to be considered that you can't be cheap, ever.

I doubt it would ever be profitable for the company, to produce a small model that does justice to the name and quality level expected from Porsche, in the quantities that they could realistically sell. They'd have to compete against models within the VW/Audi line, as well as the ricers. Once they get into the ricer market, their image will evaporate.

The cheap Porsche is a used Porsche. But you still need the money or ability to keep it running.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Is everyone who says a luxury good can't be inexpensive (I hear this argument alot, not just from you Nicole) forgetting the $30-35k priced Mercedes and BMWs? Those are as luxurious (if not more), and have as much a racing heritage as Porsche.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:31 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Why?
Porsche on verge of bankruptcy, gets help from a japanese auto manufacturer and in the mid 90s brings out the Boxster, uses many Boxster parts on flagship 911 and returns to prosperity.
Actually, Porsche got advice from jap sources and streamlined there productions, to cut costs that way and still maintain quality. And the correct (READ smartass) way to phrase that is 911 parts on a Boxster...

Mark
Old 10-21-2007, 12:33 PM
marky522
Drifting

[QUOTE=Micah Jones;469485
Agreed - and the loaded ZX beat the holy hell out of the loaded Porsche Today, a base model Cayman costs 5k more than a Corvette - and the 'vette absolutely pulverizes it. Since the mid 90s, Porsche has been working like crazy to use snob appeal in order to distract buyers from the fact that they are paying big $$$ for a car with less performance than A LOT of cheaper alternatives. [/QUOTE]

Sorry, I will never believe that the fit and finish, and overall quality will be there in the other cars. There are more reasons to choose a Porsche over them.

Mark
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 PM
marky522
Drifting

Further, their desire not to "dilute" the brand while understandable, certainly isn't their justification for an SUV and NASCAR...?
Have you ever driven a Cayenne? An SUV isnt supposed to handle like that , it is a Porsche through and through... You guys complain that they arent focusing on a market that is available to them the 30K sportscar class, but thats what they did with the Cayenne, went into a VERY desired area, the SUV, and made a normal SUV that is supposed to be able to turn numbers like a Boxster on the track.

I wont touch that Horrible "N" word.. the only good about that is i havent heard a single reference to it.

Mark
Old 10-21-2007, 12:43 PM
marky522
Drifting

Also, you can't touch a Cayman for $40K (which I'm gathering is what you're saying based upon $35K + $5k) -- base is $50k. Also, it's not THAT much more car... And going to the "S" for any real performance and now you're looking at a base of $60k (which for another $10 just get a friggin' 911).
Have you driven these cars that you are downing so much??? A 987S is a blast to drive, i would reccomend getting a loaded Boxster over a base 911. And a Cayman isnt that much more car??? A Cayman will outrun, outbrake, outhandle a 944, i dont get your comparison??? Not to mention the refined interior.

Mark

Quick Reply: Got a reply from Porsche AG