Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 n 928 having fun *video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in...hey Z ..gimme some education...what is required for a track DE event? Eg: Helmet, etc????
Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Berk
I am in...hey Z ..gimme some education...what is required for a track DE event? Eg: Helmet, etc????
For a PCA DE, you need the following:
1. Helmet
2. A solid car that will go through a tech inspection.

That's it. No harnesses, rollbars, track tires, fancy fire-retardant suit is necessary. Just you, a helmet, and your car.

PCA DE's are designed to keep it simple for folks who want to get a taste of this stuff.

But be warned -- DE's are more addictive than crystal meth. Once your hooked, it's over!

-Z-man.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
For a PCA DE, you need the following:
1. Helmet
2. A solid car that will go through a tech inspection.

That's it. No harnesses, rollbars, track tires, fancy fire-retardant suit is necessary. Just you, a helmet, and your car.

PCA DE's are designed to keep it simple for folks who want to get a taste of this stuff.

But be warned -- DE's are more addictive than crystal meth. Once your hooked, it's over!

-Z-man.

NOTE: Although I haven't made one yet, it does seem to vary by location as to what else is required. I think one requirement at Watkins Glen is a fire extinguisher mounted 'metal to metal'. At others it might not be. The specific venue or PCA region that's running it should have a tech inspection sheet that you can download. Part of the tech inspection is a flush and refill of your brake fluid and other common sense stuff like no sticky gas pedal and no soft brake pedal...

I am seriously itching to get my car on the track, I just had to cancel my reservation a few weeks ago because the car's not quite there yet.

Would love to join some other 'listers and all get our first taste on the same weekend.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSharkFan
Anyone up for a Rennlist track day next year? Maybe we can latch onto a PCA DE day and all try to make it to the same weekend. Who's in?
You can count me INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

NOTE: Although I haven't made one yet, it does seem to vary by location as to what else is required. I think one requirement at Watkins Glen is a fire extinguisher mounted 'metal to metal'. At others it might not be. The specific venue or PCA region that's running it should have a tech inspection sheet that you can download. Part of the tech inspection is a flush and refill of your brake fluid and other common sense stuff like no sticky gas pedal and no soft brake pedal...

I am seriously itching to get my car on the track, I just had to cancel my reservation a few weeks ago because the car's not quite there yet.

Would love to join some other 'listers and all get our first taste on the same weekend.
I have done a couple they are awsome. yeah make sure your car is up to par. try to make it at lime rock yeah its a harder course than watkins but its closer.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Z-man
Race Director

NOTE: Although I haven't made one yet, it does seem to vary by location as to what else is required.
Yes, but in general, if you have a solid car, you shouldn't have a problem with tech.

I think one requirement at Watkins Glen is a fire extinguisher mounted 'metal to metal'.
Nope - that is not a requirement at The Glen. However, there are some track-specific requirements for cabrio cars -- for example, VIR requires that all Boxsters run with a Brey Krause rollbar extension piece in place. Most all tracks require some type of rollbar for cabrios, and the driver must pass the broomstick test -- where the driver with helmet clears a broomstick placed over him from the top of the windshield to the top of the rollbar.

The specific venue or PCA region that's running it should have a tech inspection sheet that you can download. Part of the tech inspection is a flush and refill of your brake fluid and other common sense stuff like no sticky gas pedal and no soft brake pedal...
Yep -- some of the details may vary, but a tech form from the sponsoring club will give you a good idea of what how your car needs to be prepared. As an example, NNJR's tech form. (Right click, save as)

If your car is running soundly, and you can take it on a "fun run," then your car should be fine for a DE event. (No excuses )

-Z-man.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Hey Z....why dont you come clean and tell them the real truth???

How addictive it is
Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by aben8057
Hey Z....why dont you come clean and tell them the real truth???

How addictive it is
I already did:
Originally Posted by Z-man

-Z
Old 10-16-2007, 07:07 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

hey kev have you been able to watch the whole vid yet?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Iris and Kevin
Instructor

Hey Carlos...yes, very slowly I have managed to watch the video 30 seconds at a time. LOL. It only took me about 3 hours!

I've been very busy since I got home on Saturday night. Take a look.

First, when I got home I put the engine under an x-ray!

I didn't like the way it looked so much, so then I drew a picture of it to see if that made it better. My sketch skillz are da bom, huh?

Then, today, my new air filter arrived, only four days late and a dollar short. It's a little bigger, huh?

So I went ahead and stuck that in there too, just for the f*#k of it, and since I was in there, I routed it back to the inner fender.

Then, I installed a non-rubberbanded, non-gatorback belt ( ) and when I was all done, I got boost!

Since I did such a nice job, I went ahead and drew a picture of the whole car. Notice the fine attention to detail, right down the reflection of bricks on my hood!

Tomorrow, I'll be working on the shifting problems. Already found a broken vacuum line down by the trans. If it's really a bitch, I might x-ray it too, just for the hell of it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Iris and Kevin
Instructor

Oh yeah...I forgot. I installed spray nozzles on my back bumper with a 2-gallon oil tank for those annoying little turbos that crawl up my ***.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

KEV very nice man. I want to see it and hear it as well. hows putting the air filter in the inner fender working out?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Iris and Kevin
Instructor

Hey Carlos...well, I had more boost when I went to pick up Leslie from the bus stop, but I couldn't really get into it. I can say I have boost where I didn't have boost before. It's supposed to rain the next couple of days, so not too sure when I will get to test it out for real. There's not enough room on the highway in the evenings around here to get into it too hard. This weekend should give me some more answers.

You can hear the supercharger whistle again, which it wasn't doing on our outing. It should be good. We'll have to get together and do a little wrenching sometime in the future. Then you can do more than hear it. Unless you can make it to that next outing on the 28th?

LOL....my cell phone takes some pretty wacked out pics, huh?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I really can't understand all the angst over that video. Looks like a typical NorCal Porsche Run to me, only slower. I understand and appreciate the 'take it to the track' comments but face it folks if we can't take our cars out and have fun on good public roads then what's the point in owning a Porsche? I drive for the fun, friendship, and scenery so maybe I'm different. Driving like a Nanny on good fast roads and only getting to stretch the car on track days defeats the purpose for me. Track time and the expense of tires, trailers, rooms/meals is beyond my means as a cheap 951 owner. I wish it was otherwise. We are all responsible for our own actions and no one wants to have an issue with injuring some innocent driver so a certain standard of care has to be observed on public roads. There's a time and place for everything, knowing those limits is part of being a safe driver on or off the track. Again I saw nothing really unsafe in that 30 sec. video.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I really can't understand all the angst over that video. Looks like a typical NorCal Porsche Run to me, only slower. I understand and appreciate the 'take it to the track' comments but face it folks if we can't take our cars out and have fun on good public roads then what's the point in owning a Porsche? I drive for the fun, friendship, and scenery so maybe I'm different. Driving like a Nanny on good fast roads and only getting to stretch the car on track days defeats the purpose for me. Track time and the expense of tires, trailers, rooms/meals is beyond my means as a cheap 951 owner. I wish it was otherwise. We are all responsible for our own actions and no one wants to have an issue with injuring some innocent driver so a certain standard of care has to be observed on public roads. There's a time and place for everything, knowing those limits is part of being a safe driver on or off the track. Again I saw nothing really unsafe in that 30 sec. video.
Thanks steve

Quick Reply: 951 n 928 having fun *video*