Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 n 928 having fun *video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I really can't understand all the angst over that video. Looks like a typical NorCal Porsche Run to me, only slower. I understand and appreciate the 'take it to the track' comments but face it folks if we can't take our cars out and have fun on good public roads then what's the point in owning a Porsche? I drive for the fun, friendship, and scenery so maybe I'm different. Driving like a Nanny on good fast roads and only getting to stretch the car on track days defeats the purpose for me. Track time and the expense of tires, trailers, rooms/meals is beyond my means as a cheap 951 owner. I wish it was otherwise. We are all responsible for our own actions and no one wants to have an issue with injuring some innocent driver so a certain standard of care has to be observed on public roads. There's a time and place for everything, knowing those limits is part of being a safe driver on or off the track. Again I saw nothing really unsafe in that 30 sec. video.
+1000

I too do not understand why anyone is upset about the video at all. Nothing dangerous was even shown! And as the front-seat passenger in that 928, I can tell you that the driver (my husband, Kevin, "The Guy") was VERY mindful of oncoming traffic, especially in the turns. It may be hard to tell from the video, which doesn't show a whole lot of the twisties section, but I can attest that at each turn, he slowed down and inched out to the line enough to get a peek around the corner before hitting the go pedal. He's not trying even a little bit to hurt his baby that he just spent 14 months of hell getting put together; nor to cause injury to his children or innocents on the street. Besides, our group was making so much noise, you would have had to have been deaf not to hear us coming. In fact, I kind of wished we had gone faster!! But we were trying to stay with our group and not leave anyone behind.

Kevin is probably the safest driver I know. He hasn't ever had an accident that was his fault, and the last time he was involved in an accident at all, it was the other driver's fault, and it was 25 years ago! If I wasn't the least concerned about being in the car, nor with having our kids in the car, you guys shouldn't be either. Lighten up!

(And order some WOR calendars!! )
Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuhl
I really can't understand all the angst over that video.
Originally Posted by Leslie.
I too do not understand why anyone is upset about the video at all.
Folks - relax. Did I, or any of the other "nay-sayers" express true angst or anger over this video? There is no lynch mob, no hanging, no buring at the stake being asked for here...

So far as I can tell, the following type of comments were posted:
- Ever hear of DE's? <-- posted by me.
- Law enforcement folks may be lurking on this website looking for videos with visible license plates. <-- posted by sh944
- A concern about not knowing what's around the corner vs. at the track where there are flaggers <-- posted by me.

Then the discussion kinda evolved into getting a Rennlist group at a DE.

Granted, I've gotten hot under the collar in the past with street racing threads, but that's a different story...

So don't get yer panties in a bunch folks. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to do a high speed run on the Garden State Parkway -- my car's been acting a little funny, and I think I just need to "jet the carbs..." I figure about 120 for 15 minutes should clear them out!

-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 10-17-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guy
Hey Carlos...well, I had more boost when I went to pick up Leslie from the bus stop, but I couldn't really get into it. I can say I have boost where I didn't have boost before. It's supposed to rain the next couple of days, so not too sure when I will get to test it out for real. There's not enough room on the highway in the evenings around here to get into it too hard. This weekend should give me some more answers.

You can hear the supercharger whistle again, which it wasn't doing on our outing. It should be good. We'll have to get together and do a little wrenching sometime in the future. Then you can do more than hear it. Unless you can make it to that next outing on the 28th?

LOL....my cell phone takes some pretty wacked out pics, huh?
Kevin,

I'm glad you got it sorted out. It stinks that it was still a little hinky for the fun run, but seriously we needed a little 'handicap'. I like the idea of the oil slick.

Looking forward to the next one and especially to a RL track weekend!

(Millville is supposed to open up in 2008)

Z-man, I have just forwarded your post to my insurance agent, who will promptly send out the insurance company black helicopters to track you down.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Z-man
So don't get yer panties in a bunch folks. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to do a high speed run on the Garden State Parkway -- my car's been acting a little funny, and I think I just need to "jet the carbs..." I figure about 120 for 15 minutes should clear them out!

-Z-man.
My kinda guy!!

I guess I was just a little passionate in wanting to defend my hubby's honor. I just don't like people pointing fingers at him when I know he was being a good little boy. Better than I wanted him to be, even!

Am I forgiven?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Mike - with my mad driving skillz, they're gonna need more than whirrly-birds....

Leslie - it's all good.

-Z-man.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Guy
Hey Carlos...well, I had more boost when I went to pick up Leslie from the bus stop, but I couldn't really get into it. I can say I have boost where I didn't have boost before. It's supposed to rain the next couple of days, so not too sure when I will get to test it out for real. There's not enough room on the highway in the evenings around here to get into it too hard. This weekend should give me some more answers.

You can hear the supercharger whistle again, which it wasn't doing on our outing. It should be good. We'll have to get together and do a little wrenching sometime in the future. Then you can do more than hear it. Unless you can make it to that next outing on the 28th?

LOL....my cell phone takes some pretty wacked out pics, huh?
I am getting my EBC tomorrow or so. So maybe this weekend we can meet up. i am going away that weekend so i am so bummed of that. PLEASE FILM THAT. and kick some air cooled butt
Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Folks - relax. Did I, or any of the other "nay-sayers" express true angst or anger over this video? There is no lynch mob, no hanging, no buring at the stake being asked for here...

So far as I can tell, the following type of comments were posted:
- Ever hear of DE's? <-- posted by me.
- Law enforcement folks may be lurking on this website looking for videos with visible license plates. <-- posted by sh944
- A concern about not knowing what's around the corner vs. at the track where there are flaggers <-- posted by me.

Then the discussion kinda evolved into getting a Rennlist group at a DE.

Granted, I've gotten hot under the collar in the past with street racing threads, but that's a different story...

-Z-man.
Which exit on the Garden State Parkway do you live by? I live by paramus.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Which exit on the Garden State Parkway do you live by? I live by paramus.
oh, like he's gonna answer that after sh944 told us that the insurance trolls are watching.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Exit 172. Montvale. The last exit in NJ (Northbound). I work at Mercedes Corporate HQ.

Maybe we can have lunch at Paramus Park Mall sometime... I can get there in like 2 minutes flat...

-Z-man.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Exit 172. Montvale. The last exit in NJ (Northbound). I work at Mercedes Corporate HQ.

Maybe we can have lunch at Paramus Park Mall sometime... I can get there in like 2 minutes flat...

-Z-man.
Yeah awsome well actually i live closer to montvale than i do paramus. When do you want to meet up? this weekend?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by reno808
Yeah awsome well actually i live closer to montvale than i do paramus. When do you want to meet up? this weekend?
I'm in West VA this weekend at a DE. (Surprise surprise!) Weekdays would work better for me - maybe sometime next week? PM me if that will work for ya.

-Z
Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

zman pm sent
Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Carlos

Thought you were a NY'er...Now I understand why you disappeared from Rt 17 last weekend!

best

Joe

Quick Reply: 951 n 928 having fun *video*