Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 n 928 having fun *video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but here's a word to the wise: Various law enforcement and insurance companies now employee folks who's only job is to monitor online videos and look for law breakers that they can ticket/prosecute/drop coverage on. You might want to rethink some of those "glory runs" or better yet, as mentioned by Z-Man, save it for the track.

I'd seriously consider pulling those videos, if I were you or your license plate is clearly visible in the video...

Regards,
Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Mike nice video. I have a quick question what was my smoking allot? if yes what color?

Thanks, I'm going to post a smaller one for people with slower connections.

There was some smoke, just on the downshifts. It was black.

Also, I wasn't going to post the vid because I was a little leary about the license plate thing etc, but after I saw yours up, I figured no harm no foul.

If anyone would like to be removed from the video or for me to take it down, please let me know and it will be done ASAP.

I'm pretty sure mine accurately depicts us all following proper speed limits and rules of the road, but if anyone is shy, please let me know.

Thanks for the tip Scott.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSharkFan
Thanks, I'm going to post a smaller one for people with slower connections.

There was some smoke, just on the downshifts. It was black.

Also, I wasn't going to post the vid because I was a little leary about the license plate thing etc, but after I saw yours up, I figured no harm no foul.

If anyone would like to be removed from the video or for me to take it down, please let me know and it will be done ASAP.

I'm pretty sure mine accurately depicts us all following proper speed limits and rules of the road, but if anyone is shy, please let me know.

Thanks for the tip Scott.
Thanks. vid shows no harm done. Really only black smoke awsome thanks. Yeah if anyone wants me to take them down i will have no prob with that whats so ever.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:01 PM
njackett
Instructor

Yeah, that was a nice vid, but really no foul play, cant see anyone getting arrested for anything like that. If I can make it out to the GTG in Southern Ontario this weekend, I will bring a vid camera and bring everyone back some footage.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree that was very tame, as far as videos go, and I'd be very surprised to see any law enforcement action because of it. The insurance companies, on the other hand... I think thats the biggest threat folks should be worrying about. I do a LOT of work for a couple of large insurance companies and I know for a fact that they are doing this.

Regards,
Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
I agree that was very tame, as far as videos go, and I'd be very surprised to see any law enforcement action because of it. The insurance companies, on the other hand... I think thats the biggest threat folks should be worrying about. I do a LOT of work for a couple of large insurance companies and I know for a fact that they are doing this.

Regards,
That's not my worry -- my worry is the fact that you don't know what's around the corner. At the track, at least you have flaggers that can give you that split second warning that may be the difference between a no-event and car-to-car contact. Far too many unknowns on the street.

-Z-man.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

then why ever leave the house?

it looked like they were going decently fast on a straight road. even in the twisties, there's few times where you absolutely cant see what's next or be able to correct.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95Juan
then why ever leave the house?
Why leave the house? To get to the track, you silly rabbit!
Of course, to get to the track, I must work, and need to get to work via automobile...

-Z
Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

I have no sound at work, and it didn't look like they were going all that fast, the speedo shot was blurry. How fast were they really going? 75, 80? didn't look rediculous.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

the max was 80 and then brought down quickly. It may of seem faster than that but thats only because i was like in 2nd gear most of time revved out.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Iris and Kevin
Instructor

Actually, there were a few things going on:
1. Loose s/c belt (when I got home I discovered there was 1/2 inch of play in the belt that wasn't there when I hit the road with a new belt)
2. Car was running rich (just installed a fuel pump the night before and didn't get much further than a block away from the house testing it)
3. Car wouldn't shift out of third gear
4. Air filter was caving in (too small)
5. I had 2 adults and 2 kids in the car

6. And most importantly: We weren't "racing", just taking a spirited drive. Carlos was filming and I wasn't trying to pull away from him or lose the rest of the group, having already lost several in the beginning of the run.

So for a half-throttle ride, without really downshifting, I don't think the car peformed that bad...heck, it was mostly on an engine that was running way too rich and with hardly any boost.

And all of this was only 12 hours after I had the thing slaloming back and forth on the way home from picking up Leslie from the bus stop. But I never really got over 45 mph and the car was still cold while I was doing that...so maybe that played a role too.

If I had been shifting normally on Saturday, and if I was making any kind of decent boost, which I wasn't, I wouldn't have been running so rich, and I think the video would have looked a little different. Without the kids in the back, I could have done a little better all the way around, too.

Either way...it's all better now.

Carlos, you ready for another go for real this time?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Guy
Actually, there were a few things going on:
1. Loose s/c belt (when I got home I discovered there was 1/2 inch of play in the belt that wasn't there when I hit the road with a new belt)
2. Car was running rich (just installed a fuel pump the night before and didn't get much further than a block away from the house testing it)
3. Car wouldn't shift out of third gear
4. Air filter was caving in (too small)
5. I had 2 adults and 2 kids in the car

6. And most importantly: We weren't "racing", just taking a spirited drive. Carlos was filming and I wasn't trying to pull away from him or lose the rest of the group, having already lost several in the beginning of the run.

So for a half-throttle ride, without really downshifting, I don't think the car peformed that bad...heck, it was mostly on an engine that was running way too rich and with hardly any boost.

And all of this was only 12 hours after I had the thing slaloming back and forth on the way home from picking up Leslie from the bus stop. But I never really got over 45 mph and the car was still cold while I was doing that...so maybe that played a role too.

If I had been shifting normally on Saturday, and if I was making any kind of decent boost, which I wasn't, I wouldn't have been running so rich, and I think the video would have looked a little different. Without the kids in the back, I could have done a little better all the way around, too.

Either way...it's all better now.

Carlos, you ready for another go for real this time?
yeah deffffffffff i should be getting a new ebc in a few days hehe
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Iris and Kevin
Instructor

Heh heh heh...you'll need that boost, Carlos.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone up for a Rennlist track day next year? Maybe we can latch onto a PCA DE day and all try to make it to the same weekend. Who's in?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJSharkFan
Anyone up for a Rennlist track day next year? Maybe we can latch onto a PCA DE day and all try to make it to the same weekend. Who's in?
Now yer talkin'

IN!

Quick Reply: 951 n 928 having fun *video*