Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Imagine......

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by empiredsn
And Lotus isn't using a 400 hp engine- I know that wasn't your suggestion gina.kane, but still. I think the first post was more along the lines of buying a 944 that is very close to the original, just with a few tweaks.
Point taken empiredsn, but I just like how Lotus cars have evolved while still keeping to the traditions laid down by their founder Colin Chapman. Small engines, light body and chassis and all well engineered producing exceptional cars.

The 944 was over engineered, but a great car in its day. I am just saying that to evolve the design to todays spec would require similar moves to Lotus.

Anyone can stick a large engine in a car, a modern looking body and it will look the part as well as go quite fast in a straight line. Just look at most of the cars we produce in the USA, it seems we have lost our engineering souls. It makes me cringe when I see leaf springs on our 'modern' SUV's, I thought that they went out with the horse and cart. And, for all of the tuning benefits of some of the engines produced by GM, they have still not moved on from pushrods.

I digress...

I would love to see a well designed, well engineered 944, with a similar shape, a similar sized front-mounted blown engine, similar balance and handling and taking advantage of up-to-date technology. Wouldn't we all on this forum.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by El Commandante
i just have ONE request, New taillights!!!! Maybe like the 968, maybe all together different.
I completely agree- I was fairly close to going to APC or another local company to get the lights I designed put into motion. It is just so expensive for tooling, etc. My idea was to get rid of the black lines that separate all the different lights and instead of the black plastic on the license plate side, have them taper back to the body.

Another thought was making a carbon fiber (or fiberglass if you want to paint it) piece that would fit in the space where those lovely middle light bars go- except you wouldn't have to move the license place, it would be recessed so it was flush with the car.

Solution 2 is actually quite doable, but I need to make my CF door panels first. They might delete the door pockets and delete the front speaker hole (in my case). Then I can make speaker pods that can be positioned at will and tilted toward the driver's head (as opposed to the side of my leg).

Last edited by alex; 10-11-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Something like this maybe?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Something like this maybe?
Purrrrrrfect! Michelle, I really like your taste in cars.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's the original thread - this was dreamed up by one of our own!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=2012
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
lvkid76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I want one.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:04 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gina.kane
Just look at most of the cars we produce in the USA, it seems we have lost our engineering souls. It makes me cringe when I see leaf springs on our 'modern' SUV's, I thought that they went out with the horse and cart.
I think you've forgotten what your 944 has for a rear suspension.

I would not like to see the 944 brought back. The Cayman is a perfectly good entry-level Porsche coupe. It has a better platform, a stronger hatch, six cylinders, and looks great. The only thing they could do to make it a modern 944 is make more features optional and cut the price by a few thousand.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline

I would not like to see the 944 brought back. The Cayman is a perfectly good entry-level Porsche coupe. It has a better platform, a stronger hatch, six cylinders, and looks great. The only thing they could do to make it a modern 944 is make more features optional and cut the price by a few thousand.
Its not exactly leaf springs, and if you are serious you can get coilovers.

The cayman is fine, but it won't fit 2 of my kids in the back on the way to school. It won't fit my guitar and amplifier (as far as I know) with the rear seats folded down.

It definitely won't fit my 6' ladder, a couple spools of audioquest or crestron or monster cat6 wire, my tool bag and my patching supplies for my on-side jobs.

And at the end of the day, I'm really not taken with the cayman the way I am with the front engined p-cars.

Again, I think the gist of the initial post is that it would be nice to have a new 944 without the old leaks and problems, with maybe a few updates.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by empiredsn
I agree. Leaf springs don't require re-indexing when you reinstall them.

Some here seem to think the 944 has all this superior engineering, just because of its country of origin. They've conveniently overlooked the real gems of 944 design, like the steel bolt going through a cooling passage into an aluminum block.

Sorry to be Tifo Jr.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

It makes me cringe when I see leaf springs on our 'modern' SUV's, I thought that they went out with the horse and cart.
The 944 torsion bar design is from over twenty years ago. Porsche have moved on since then.

My point is GM + other US manufacturers are using leaf springs and pushrod engines on some of their new model range.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline

Sorry to be Tifo Jr.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Ouch?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
[COLOR="Blue"]My point is GM + other US manufacturers are using leaf springs and pushrod engines on some of their new model range.
Like their 500HP near-world-beater....
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Ouch?
Not really. By "Tifo" I mean someone who tells it like it is and isn't willing to overlook the faults of these cars. And also I mean someone who doesn't go in tech forums. So with that, I'm out.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Dean924s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car only has 54K. I hate to day it but it is like driving a new car.. .. . I have changed the motor 3x trans 1x... .. Fragile is an understatement if you go to the track. Major component replacement is just a part of owning one if you want to track it with complete abandoned.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: Just Imagine......