Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home made turbo gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default home made turbo gaskets?

I need the outlet gasket for my Callaway turbo and I haven't had any luck sourcing one for the past few months so it looks like I'm going to have to make one myself. What do you guys recommend using for material? I've got this stuff at work that is meant for header gaskets that I'm considering using, it has a metal surface on one side and the back side is like a cardboard material. I've also seen SS gaskets that look like just a bunch of thin sheets of SS cut and stacked. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The gasket at your work sounds good to me. I've seen a copper based spray-on gasket in a can, I think Permatex makes it. NAPA sells gasket material on sheets, then you cut to fit.

Last edited by 951Tom; 09-30-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Header gaskets on our cars are sheet steel right?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:26 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Header gaskets on our cars are sheet steel right?
They are steel reinforced fiber.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

youre good to go
Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I need the outlet gasket for my Callaway turbo
Are you referring to the mating of the exhaust system flange to the IHI turbo itself?

If so I run without a gasket except for a bead of hi-temp copper silicone where the internal wastegate used to be on my Callaway 944

I used to run copper gaskets in between the log manifold and the turbo but they were blowing out, so I just used some wedge-lock washers and lock nuts and cinched them down to 15ft/lbs.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charlie944
Are you referring to the mating of the exhaust system flange to the IHI turbo itself?

If so I run without a gasket except for a bead of hi-temp copper silicone where the internal wastegate used to be on my Callaway 944

I used to run copper gaskets in between the log manifold and the turbo but they were blowing out, so I just used some wedge-lock washers and lock nuts and cinched them down to 15ft/lbs.
That would be the one. I have a SS gasket for in between the manifold and turbo itself, modified a T25 one so we'll see how well that works out.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Those nuts and studs sure are fun to get to when the log manifold is still in the car aye!
I would love to have a V-band connection!

Hope the SS gasket works out, let us know
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charlie944
Those nuts and studs sure are fun to get to when the log manifold is still in the car aye!
I would love to have a V-band connection!

Hope the SS gasket works out, let us know
I really didn't have a problem with them at all, took me about 10 minutes to drop the 4 bolts to the manifold flange and most of that was me taking my time not wanting to break them. Did you find any special method to installing the manifold to the head? My manifold barely has any clearance to install the nuts and it looks like I'm going to have to slide the manifold on and install all the nuts and just slowly tighten them all down. Worst case for gasket on the turbo to manifold connection is I take it down and have a machine shop O ring it for me.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

That is good you did not have any problems. I had to use my long extensions and swivels to get on some of the nuts.

When putting the manifold on I ran into the same deal where the runner tubes IIRC for cylinder 2 the nut had little clearance. And it was a tighten and slide the manifold on farther as you go. I was wanting to run the exhaust studs from a Saturn that have provisions for a 5mm socket on the end of the stud to facilitate screwing the studs into the head, but those studs were too long and I could not get the manifold up and over them.

Have you had a chance to drive your car yet?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Charlie I was going to use Saturn studs too but as you stated they were too long. I ended up getting Sharky to machine me a set of his SS studs with the allen broached ends to the right length for the Callaway. If you end up having to work on yours again in the future I believe he made a couple of extra sets. I drove my car for about 3 weeks until I found out the turbo had play in it and then I tore it down and it's been apart for about 8 months to get things rebuild and source parts. I hope to have this all back together in the near future with a new exhaust too.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I was just going to mention Sharky's SS studs. They look sweet and I would definitely spring for a set next time.

If you ever need any further parts for the IHI I did get a copy of the IHI RHB6 exploded parts diagram with part numbers from a past Rennlister John Kuhn who had a Callaway 928TT. The parts list was from IHI North America. I also have copies of the compressor maps, Micro Fueler adjustment info, and original Callaway sales phamplets stating the specs.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

I found the part numbers and the maps but I was informed that IHI no longer supports the RHB series. I would like to see the micro fueler adjustments as I am pretty sure I'm running really rich right now. Any clue where the micro fueler is? I've been told it should be under the glove box or behind it but as I have the GTL package I don't have a glove box and I didn't see anything back there either.

Quick Reply: home made turbo gaskets?