Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it car flooding with water again

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discovered that if the drain in the tray below the windshield on the drivers side gets clogged up, the whole tray fills up with water until it spills over into the heater/AC ducting. It then runs down the inside of the air duct and drips out onto the floor of the car. I had this happen on my car after it sat for a while and the tray filled with leaves. Did you check to see if that water catch tray filled all the way up while you were inside the car testing with the hose? If it filled up then it spilled over into the car that way.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I did it is not clogged. I did not see water getting high enough to gon into the heater fan but water was all around it so I'm guessing the seal is bad.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
Is there any kind of drain tube that goes under the dash that could be clogged or something?
Yes, the tube I mentioned in my previous post. Mine was unclogged but leaking nonetheless at the weld spot.

It's located right in front of the window wiper motor, left from the blower fan.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

...now I have to find the time to reseal the fan assembly. How exactly do you remove it to reseal it? Is that teh only likely cause of a leak from the dash area. The battery box was resealed and I"m not getting water from there.

wonder if I can fix the leak without taking the fan assembly out, like by cleaning around where it seals and putting silicone or urethane over it.

I don't have lots of time to work on the car right now so I may have to put up with it flooding until i have time to fix it. I park in the garage when at home but I park it outside when at school or work so far it hasn't been to rainy but in november and december it basicly rains everyday.
To do the fan assembly follow these instructions:

1. Remove the thin plastic cover from between the windsheild and the bulkhead inside the engine bay.
2. Remove the six 10mm bolts and washers holding the fan assembly in place.
3. Disconnect the vacuum hose and electrical connections going to the fan assembly.
4. Remove the fan assembly by gently levering and rocking the whole assembly until the sealant breaks loose.
5. There is another vacuum hose to disconnect inside the fan assembly before you completely lift the thing out.
6.Remove as much of the old sealant as possible.
7. Replace with a bead of new sealant all around the lip of the fan assembly (no gaps).
8. Refit and bolt up. (Don't forget to fit the vacuum hose on the inside of the assembly beforehand).

This takes about two hours, but it is a PITA because the sealant does a good job of stopping you removing the assembly. You think is just isn't going to budge, then it does. You will be convinced that you missed a bolt somewhere. Better to have someone help you working either side of the engine bay. Also better with the hood removed, but can be done without.

Also, the thin plastic cover that you have to remove is very delicate, so take your time removing it. If I recall you will need to remove the winscreen wipers to remove it cleanly and gently pry it from where it is attached with double sided tape.

One final point to be careful of is the sensor on the RH fan assembly intake. It sticks out and can be broken easily, so take care.

You will probably find that most of the original sealant is still good, but in one or two places it will have hardened and there's your leak.

The sealant I used is a very good, non-hardening sealant. It is used for windshield replacement and is available at most auto stores. Product pictures below:

Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

tried the light under the dash tonight and couldn't see any light coming through.

Anyways I don't really have the time right now to remove the fan assembly to reseal it and it is going to be raining everyday so I need to try some quick fix

I'm thinking of cleaning around the fan assebly then applying asphalt undercoating everywhere and around where the fan assemble seals. Can't really see where the sealing area is.

I'll also look for that drain tube next to the wiper motor. So does the drain tube go under the dash? I have never seen a drain tube here.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I'll also look for that drain tube next to the wiper motor. So does the drain tube go under the dash? I have never seen a drain tube here.
Yes, it's visible if you look up from inside the driver side footwell. At least it was on my 83.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah I don't see the drain tube, mine is a 85.5 maybe it's different.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stubborn hatch leak plus a leak in the driver's side footwell, but in both cases it only leaks under extreme conditions (i.e. a car wash).

Knowing the leaks, though, I'd keep the whole thing covered up if I had to keep it outside.

Good luck with all that ... sounds like a major pain.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I park in in the garage when at home which is better than nothing.

but the car is parked outdoors all day when I'm at school or at work so that is not so good.... it rains everyday here in the winter. Basicly heavy rain storms everyday and the car might turn into a pond like last winter. so far only the floor is getting wet my seats and carpet are not getting wet. The quarter windows and sunroof don't leak anymore so water is just leaking from the dash now and running under the carpet.

might have to drill some holes for a temporary fix this winter until have some time to fix it.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

yeah I don't see the drain tube, mine is a 85.5 maybe it's different.
I think your car probably has this drain tube. It's the round opening right in front of the winshield wiper motor in this pic:

(Photo by Rennlist resident photographer, MPD47)

Quick Reply: I've had it car flooding with water again