Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it car flooding with water again

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've had it car flooding with water again

last winter my entire interior was wrecked in winter from all the water leaks. There was literally an inch of water on the floorboard, soaked rear seat moldy interior.

So this summer I spent hours removing the whole interior. replaced the sunroof tubes, sunroof seals. resealed the battery tray and painted it with por15. took both quarter windows out and resealed them and they do not leak anymore. washed and cleaned teh whole interior, threw out all the old moldy padding and used new sound deadning. Also sprayed the whole interior with concrubium mold killer.

when the whole interior was out I spent hours trying to find leaks by sitting inside and having a garden hose spray on top.

found the quarter windows leaked so I resealed them then it became tricky. after a while I'd see the floor boards flooding but I could not see where it was coming from and finally found water was coming from somwhere under the dash close to the centre console when water was running down the winshield.

at this time I did not have the time to remove the dash to find the leak so I put the interior back in. Now it's been raining a little and I felt under my rear carepet and theres a pool of water in the rear driver side.

The backseats are not wet nor are the front seats or hatch or carpet. Just under the carpet ther is a pool of water again.

from what I saw before water was coming out of the heating system in the car under the dash but I could be wrong and it could be something else under the dash.

now I don't know how I'll get through the coming winter. The car is my only car and I drive it to work and school everyday so I can't remove the dash to find the leak (pretty sure the heating sytem is filling with water.

any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

anyone know the most likely cause of water pouring down from under the centre console area (where the radio and heating unit are) I've seen water leak from here when a garden hose was running water down the winshield for a while. The water then runs down teh floor to the back.

I"m pretty sure it's not a rust hole but water getting into the heating unit and dripping out of it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 AM
76 911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has your windshield been replaced? Maybe its not sealed properly along the bottom edge or against the black plastic cover over the fresh air intake. Try some duct tape between the windshield and the fresh air intake cover. My car has some black tape along the bottom edge overlapping onto the cover, and I know that the windshield has been replaced. I'm leaving my tape there because I'm not brave enough to see what happens if I take the tape off.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
GuardsRed
Rennlist Member

My trunk is leaking wather from the rear hatch pins - so I drilled 4 very small holes into the body panel to let the water out. Maybe drill holes the in rear pass. floor board?

That's my lazy way of doing things
Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
GuardsRed
Rennlist Member

Am I was too lazy to read my post before I posted hence the missed spelled word water...
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Had the same problem. If you have sealed any holes in the battery tray area, try removing the fan assembly below the windshield. It is held on by six bolts and some sealant that gets hard with age and eventually lets water in the cabin. A PITA to remove, just did mine this weekend, but I found that there were gaps in the sealant due to shrinkage over time and this let the water in.

I used a black 3m flexible sealant on a roll from autozone (still have the box at home so will post the part# later if you want). Resealed the fan assembly and rechecked for leaks with a hose - completely dry now.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

+1 on that.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Ya, seal as best you can and then... drill a few 1/4 holes through the floor board under the carpet so it can drain out. It won't help for the moldy smell but it will keep it from puddling up in your car.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks, are there any instructions anywhere on how to remove the fan assembly?

I don't have much time to work on the car right now might try this later.

not sure how good of an idea it will be to drill holes in the floor. I think I"m already having problems with exhaust fumes getting in.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a trick that I found helpful to locate leaks in the front of the cabin.

Park the car in the dark, pop the hood open, and put a strong flashlight in the footwells facing upwards.

Then get out of the car and look for light in the firewall and bulkhead areas. I found a drain tube weld spot right next to the blower fan that had cracked. Sealed it up with a glob of fiberglass resin and no more wet feet in the rain!

As for the rear leaks, most likely they're coming from your rear hatch. The glass separates from the frame and allows water to seep into the cabin from the back.

A quick repair is to take some clear RTV and try to fill the gap forming between the glass and the metal frame.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no I'm positive the water from the rear footwell is actually coming from under the centre of the dash.

when I had the wole interior out (except the dash) I saw the only spot tha tleaked (after I fixed the quarter windows) was from he centre of the dash, right where the heater unit is. the wate rleaks from there and runs to the back footwell area and puddles there.

I had to pour water down the winshield to see this leak. looks like water is just pouring from under the dash. couldn't figure it out.

Is there any kind of drain tube that goes under the dash that could be clogged or something?

I'm not positive but I thought water came out of the heater unit itself, maybe it's filling up with water.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I cannot see how water can make its way to the rear footwell unless you live in a very hilly area or the front footwell is so flooded that it just overflows to the rear.

If you have checked and resealed the fan assembly as per my previous post I would check the sunroof. The sunroof has drain holes with plastic pipes attached to drain water to outside the car. These harden and come off, letting water run down the inside of the car and into the rear footwells.

Take the sunroof off and you will see the drain holes in the rain channel. Slowly pour water in channel and see where it drains.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

like I said I had the entire interior out so I could see where the leak was coming from. I also thought it was the sunroof and it is not.

water starts spilling from under the dash and makes it's way to the rear footwell where it gathers into a pool of water. Not in a very hilly area but this is what happens.

the rear seat hatch carpet front seats etc are all bone dry. Before when my quarter window was leaking the rear seat would get soaked also.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 PM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by gina.kane
I cannot see how water can make its way to the rear footwell unless you live in a very hilly area or the front footwell is so flooded that it just overflows to the rear.
On my early '85, my pasenger rear floor was constantly a puddle. Water was getting in from the fresh air intake below the windshield. I too didn't understand how only the rear floor could be wet, but found that water was running down from the front passenger footwell along the tunnel, then to the back. The floor is actually sloped to the back of the car; I stripped the entire carpet out of the car to watch the water flow.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol yeah before I tore out the interior in the summer I had no idea it could be the dash I thought it was teh sunroof.

now I have to find the time to reseal the fan assembly. How exactly do you remove it to reseal it? Is that teh only likely cause of a leak from the dash area. The battery box was resealed and I"m not getting water from there.

wonder if I can fix the leak without taking the fan assembly out, like by cleaning around where it seals and putting silicone or urethane over it.

I don't have lots of time to work on the car right now so I may have to put up with it flooding until i have time to fix it. I park in the garage when at home but I park it outside when at school or work so far it hasn't been to rainy but in november and december it basicly rains everyday.

Quick Reply: I've had it car flooding with water again