Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Start = No start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
leedog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Start = No start

Hello all, as the title says, I am having issues with hot starts on my car. I have tried to search for the answer, but no one seems to have a problem close enough to mine to be sure of the answer. The car starts up just fine when cold, runs strong, etc. If I turn the car off it will refuse to start again until it sits for a long time, sometimes as long as 40 minutes, but no shorter than 20. Also when it is sitting on an incline with the nose pointed down it seems to take less time to fire. I am going to change the DME relay as soon as I get the part to see if that fixes the issue. But my thinking is why would the DME relay be good for cold starts, but not work for hot starts? I do not think the fuel pump could be bad, because they do not work sometimes and not others. I know it can not be a vacuum leak because I have changed out the old lines with the lindsey racing kit. Any ideas as to what else it could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lee
Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

take apart the wire that comes off the tank and clean it with electrical conact cleaner and see if that fixes the problem. Also what year and model is it? that would help out alot to futher diagnose the problem
Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that the Fiero I drove when I was younger would do the same thing. The starter was going and the heat of the motor would trip the solenoid protect circuit. It's not a 944, but other than the usual DME relay that's one other thing to verify.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 PM
leedog
Advanced

Sorry, its an 85.5NA. I'll try cleaning that contact while i'm at it, thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us know if you have success.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

okay 85.5 N/A okay.. ...first place to try the contact I was telling you about. Also does your Tach jump when iys trying to start?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 PM
leedog
Advanced

No, whether starting hot or cold the tach is between 0 maybe 100 and wiggles a little bit but nothing dramatic like a few hundred revs. when the engine is turned over by the starter it goes up like a 16th of an inch.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leedog
No, whether starting hot or cold the tach is between 0 maybe 100 and wiggles a little bit but nothing dramatic like a few hundred revs. when the engine is turned over by the starter it goes up like a 16th of an inch.
Okay so the tach does jump a little bit then? okay right now just try cleaning the contact and let me know if that works. Then we'll move on to something else
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 PM
leedog
Advanced

thanks for the advice bjzorn. I will try the contact leads tomorrow, but it may take a day or to for feedback (dont' drive the car every day) but I will post results when i get them. In reference to the wire, i am correct that it comes off the fuel tank? and is it near the fuel filter or somewhere else. Sorry for asking so many questions, but it can get confusing once you are under the car
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Did this get fixed? I'm interested because I have the exact same issue. I will try cleaning the tank wire first and report back.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

The fuel pump sits up by the the fuel tank. under the cover by the right rear wheel. Find the Fuel filter and also look for a wire coming out of the pump under the cover. That is the wire you need to clean. it connects up by the frame. Just follow the wire and you can figure it out. Good luck
Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
LowTechRedneck
AutoX

I know when starters get older, the insulation on their wiring starts to wear out, the wires aren't as protected from heat, and thus they get sluggish or fail when hot, but if left to cool, will work. So the first start in the morning goes flawlessly, but after it warms up, and the wires soak up that heat (which increases the resistance in the circuit) they don't work. I've had plenty of older vehicles do this to me, including my old pickup and firebird, if you can't find an obvious fault anywhere else, you may just have an aging starter that needs replaced.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The starter cranks just fine. I just now read through a dozen or so pages on the problem and I'm thinking reference sensor. I just replaced one so I know where to look. I try this tomorrow and let you know.

Quick Reply: Hot Start = No start