Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'M NEW TO 951'S AND MY TURBO WENT OUT. LOOKING TO UPGRADE.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:53 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I'm not saying that the BB's don't spool quickly or can't make great power. In my experience though, I haven't seen one that spools quicker or makes more power to make it worth it as far as ease of installation goes and out of the box tuning goes. There have been a few BB's installed on the 951's and I've driven two of them and I'm just not seeing or feeling the difference.
I didn't mean to bring out another debate on this, it's been beaten to death already.

Plus, we have more important things to do like explain over and over that it takes more then just rewelding a flange to turn the motor vertical. I'll give you a hit of something else....oil pan....pickup...

For ease of installation, you can't be Vitesse. That cannot be argued.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think youll blow the torque tube up with 500 hp. If not the cv joints will probably meltdown.I agree with the guy that said 500 hp cant be told from a properly boosted 350 hp car with suspension and pinion gear upgrades. I have a k-26/6 and a mild boost enhancer and it kicks hard at 3,000 rpm, chirps in third gear and is faster than most cars on the road, based on challenges by them resulting in a loss on thier part. In fact my brand new powerhaus k27/8 large turbo still sits on my workbench as I ponder the thought of even installing it along with my APE maf,chipset and other goodies. I like the lower end boost of the 26/6 even if the kick isnt as hard as with the larger turbo cars. Does anyone else know what a 27/8 powerhaus turbo and maf does compared to stock conditions ? I diddnt mean to hijack the subject but I am curious.Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 01:43 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

DDP - I absolutely did not think of that...sorry.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
DDP - I absolutely did not think of that...sorry.
No problem.
There are a few other things as well but we won't go off topic here.

As far as a K27/6 or K27/8 go, I wouldn't argue with someone that was set on installing a K27/6 in their car. As they have been proven time and time again. But a K27/8, no thanks. A K27/6 makes decent power and is responsive, although it is extremely old technology, it works. If you're thinking about a K27/8, I wouldn't bother. Not only is it super old tech, it's also a dog when it comes to response. Sure it can make power, I guess. But not much more then the K27/6 to make it worthwhile. Most ppl go with the K27/6 for ease of install and because they're looking for a good cheap street turbo. I don't think a K27/8 is any good for the street. What was this thread originally about? lol. I can't even remember. Oh well.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
I think youll blow the torque tube up with 500 hp. If not the cv joints will probably meltdown.ks
This is why you shouldn't think. You really have no business responding to this thread as you're talking out of your *** again.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are dual ball bearing turbos available for the 951 that are a bolt on propostion. Take a look into Garrett's T3/T4R - same bearing design used in Garrett's GT series.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
My bad for the 500 HP advice... I must've been drunk...
Easy there, Geoff -- remember what happened the LAST time you had a PUI?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Originally Posted by CARNEXUS
Hi every one I just want to say thank you for all the advice. I really do appreciate it.
From what I understood I have to
1) O ring the head to hold high boost.
2) It sounds like this Vitesse place has got the formula worked out so I’m just going to go with the stage III kit it seems to bee a complete kit.
I'm closing out a current project similar to yours. In the future I will go back to this setup, but for now I need to get some funds together for a S. After talking to some vendors, the o-ring w/Widefire is the best combo for this application. Vitesse....nuff said.

1) Rebuild and O-ring'd by Lindsey head w/Widefire gasket set. Tap'd for steam vent kit

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

2) New Vitesse Stage II (Turbo w/fast spool, Piggyback/SMT-6, Chip, 55lb injectors, 3 bar FPR). Everything you need. $3700 Not sure what he's charging now, but I think I paid $4000 originally for the kit (not including injectors).

Note: If you buy from Vitesse you don't get injectors ($600 ish) and FPR ($60 ish).
Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronin951
I'm closing out a current project similar to yours. In the future I will go back to this setup, but for now I need to get some funds together for a S. After talking to some vendors, the o-ring w/Widefire is the best combo for this application. Vitesse....nuff said.

1) Rebuild and O-ring'd by Lindsey head w/Widefire gasket set. Tap'd for steam vent kit

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

2) New Vitesse Stage II (Turbo w/fast spool, Piggyback/SMT-6, Chip, 55lb injectors, 3 bar FPR). Everything you need. $3700 Not sure what he's charging now, but I think I paid $4000 originally for the kit (not including injectors).

Note: If you buy from Vitesse you don't get injectors ($600 ish) and FPR ($60 ish).
The injectors can be had for about $250.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Ronin951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
The injectors can be had for about $250.
I stand corrected. Lindsey sells them for $650 Even so, I still think it is a fair price. No? The other thing to consider is taxes, but I'm not sure if that would apply if someone lived out of state??
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I have a complete set on flebay that I just listed tonight. It includes a new Powerhaus K27/8 turbo, Autoauthority Maf with new filter, Guru racing dme/ klr chipset and modified banjo bolt,Speedforce racing billet recycling valve,2 ceramic coated hardpipes, 1 jetcoat manifold,1 Powdercoated cam cover and timing cover, I even have a set of new oem reuville rollers,continental timing and balance belts and cv joint boots.Complete set $2,500.00, or you can buy the parts seperately. This will put your car to the 400 Hp level SAFELY, and with lots of eye candy, with a nice 3" exaust from al broadfoot or another specialty manufacturer for the 951 you will be bookin!

Quick Reply: I'M NEW TO 951'S AND MY TURBO WENT OUT. LOOKING TO UPGRADE.