Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

widebody air vs gtracing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Weren't you, only about 2 weeks ago, talking about selling or parting out your car after you just got it painted? Or maybe I am mistaking you for a different poster?
I was interested in the value after the paint job, but I got ripped a new one for some dripping paint on the light covers and the tires. I think about throwing it in the trash every other month too, but then later I feel better and keep going with it.

I've planned on doing the widebody since I got it and it had the big giant dent in the driver's quarter panel so I knew if I couldnt get that dent fixed right I could just do the widebody.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Jim is correct - these are pics from when owned by the previous owner - my progress is still fairly snail-like.
no one is pressuring you to finish faster

thanks for the pics... I've heard that AIR has 1st generation molds/dies for their shapes so there are less fitment problems. I've heard all over on this board that gtracing has tons of fitment problems and that they don't talk to you about how to put on the parts.

I'm going to attempt to do it myself. I allready straightened a huge dent in the quarter panel myself. That's one reason why I got such a junked out porsche, so I could do all kinds of fun stuff to it.

Still not heard of anyone with the AIR kits, other than the lips and bumpers and stuff...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 PM
944J
Banned

You can run 10" and 12" rims with the GT Racing kit as well. I have the GT Racing rear quarters and they can fit up to 335's on 13" rims. I would also be a bit skeptical about AIR's claims of not needing to fit their parts. You may not need to heat or shape, but I bet you will need to do some triming and a lot of filling and sanding to get it smooth without any waves.

Find yourself a good hotrod shop - not a collision repair - and talk to them. A lot of the restoration/hotrod projects use fiberglass body panels and those guys are typically very good at knowing how to splice them into the car. Also, neither the front fenders, or rear quarters are structural members of the car so you don't need to worry about loosing strength.
the AIR kit says they are 3" wider in the rear while gtracing says they are just 2"... we need to make an international board to set standard for 944 wide body kits so everyone(me) isn't so confused.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only experience witth AIR is with the vented nose panel. The guy opn the Phone told me that I could bolt in right on with no fitment problems - he lied. My GT Racing nose panel for the race car was a fair bit better "out of the box" part. Not sure if that really helps as it is just small pieces. I would just go into this being fairly skeptical of anything you are promised on the phone. Assume you are going to have to do a fair bit of fittment and the worst is that your are pleasently surprised. According to Chris Cervelli who originally built my racecar - both AIR and GT Racing are crap - his words not mine.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

The AIR panels may very well be 3" vs the GTRacing 2", but that said, the GT Racing are plenty wide enough as they will allow up to a 335 which is as wide as you ever need to go. My car also has Racer Group CF standard width fronts which allow 275's which is also plenty wide in the front. I personally like the looks of the standard width front fenders vs. the wider ones.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 PM
944J
Banned

The AIR panels may very well be 3" vs the GTRacing 2", but that said, the GT Racing are plenty wide enough as they will allow up to a 335 which is as wide as you ever need to go. My car also has Racer Group CF standard width fronts which allow 275's which is also plenty wide in the front. I personally like the looks of the standard width front fenders vs. the wider ones.
I guess the question now, if they are both crap, is which looks better and then which allows wider wheels, it appears the AIR allows wider in the back and the gtracing allows wider in the front... too bad no one has an AIR kit installed.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Try posting this on the Racing board - may get some different viewpoints from the racer crowd.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
944J
Banned

Try posting this on the Racing board - may get some different viewpoints from the racer crowd.
what's the racing board?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Theyre exactly the same in that they both will have fitment issues. They all do. No way its gonna show up and glue on perfectly. Thats the nature of the game with fiberglass. When resin cools, it can do just about anything it wants. You could have sags, burrs, lifts, dimples, warping, etc. Its your experience with fiberglass that fixes these problems. These compaines know this and expect a competent body shop to be able to quickly/easily handle them....and they do! I didnt call GTR racing when I noticed the fitment problems with my kit. I just got to work. I knew they wouldnt come and fit perfectly. Its the nature of these pieces. Youll never find a company that sells perfect fitting panels that ar flawless. Nope.

When my GTR fenders and quarters came, the fronts came in two pieces each. I had to glue them together and then contour them to the car by matching them up to the nose piece, bumper, and door. I needed a 1/4" gap along the door seam the whole way down. Then I needed the bottom of the fender to go inward 6 1/2" to be contoured with the rest of the body. See, when you push the fender in from the bottom, the gap betwen the door and fender opens as comes out in the middle. You then have to cut the lower fender so that it allows the fender to "twist". But if you just leave it at that and paint, vibration will cause fractures and you get spider lines all over. You have to heat the panel thus softening the resin and then twist-bolt-let cool.

Theres no way around these things as all 944 bodies are different. Whereas I needed 6 1/2" of twisting, another may only need 6".

The rear quarters came with a "valley" type indent that spanned about 8" along the flat part under the quarter window. It had to be reheated and flattened. I guess you could just fill it in with bondo but why? Just heat it and form it.

I cannot believe another company like AIR would send anything better than a well known company like GTR. Corvettes are another example. The 67 vette we did, recieved panels (front in 8 different pieces) and every single piece needed forming and fitment just for the front clip! Just remember that all panels, no matter the origin, will need atleast 40-55 hours of fitment and prep. Anything less will look bad in my opinion. And once its on....it aint coming off in one piece. Hahaha. So getting it right the first time is essential.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944J
what's the racing board?
The Rennlist Racing & Drivers Education Forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/

Widebody kits are most prevelant on racecars and a lot of the Racers don't visit the 944 board on a regular basis.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 944J
I prefer non-bolted widebodies, but that 968 looks awesome. The front fenders look better than the rear quarter panles in my opinion. Is that the 600HP 968 that I've read about?
Where did you read about it?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Where did you read about it?
probably excellence, maybe an online scan of the article in excellence.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a funny feeling that the Excellence article said something like 479 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque....but what would I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gWaX1K8Hs
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I have a funny feeling that the Excellence article said something like 479 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque....but what would I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gWaX1K8Hs

You have too many cars, please give me the yellow one
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Lemming
You have too many cars, please give me the yellow one

I'm not sure where I read it but I read about a yellow 968 turbo widebody in Texas that had around 600hp, but I could be mistaken as it was a long time ago.

Quick Reply: widebody air vs gtracing