Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sagging sunvisor fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Aviator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging sunvisor fix

I saw in another thread a complain about sagging sun visors, and as a tall guy I can commiserate. I picked up my car on Wendesday and by Friday I was getting really annoyed that every time I leaned forward I hit my head on the visor.

My visors are in great shape other than the sag, and I didn't want to shell out 80 bucks for new ones. So here's the fix that works:

1) I pulled the sun visor off of its mounting rod. To do this I put it in it's up position, the position where the sag is noticeable. Then I simply pulled on the end that clips in the middle and with a moderate force pulling directly away from the attachment point on the left (Driver's side) it slid off the rod.

2) Next I unscrewed the mounting bracket from the roof, via the three phillips head screws. It comes off with the triangular mounting point and the the variable position rod attached. Notice that the end of the rod is bare metal and slightly lubricated, and on the main shaft there is a tab that keeps the rod in the visor's track.

3) I had some teflon tape in the garage, but you should be able to find it at any hardware store or plumbing supply shop. It's usually used to wrap threads in so that they can easily be unscrewed later, i.e. on pipes and such. It's very thin and self adhesive enough to use so it's perfect, and being teflon is essentially self lubricating enough for the sun visor role.

4) Trial and error time. I wrapped a few turns around the metal end after wiping the lube off and the sag was still present when I reinstalled. So I took it back apart and applied the tape to the main body of the rod, wrapping it around about 2-3 times over the entire length up to the tab that I mentioned above. With this extra material on the rod it now has a tighter fit inside the visor itself. After installing it worked like a charm and continues to work without ripping after moving the visor up and down. Depending on how much sag you have, you'll have to use more or less wraps of tape than I did. Problem solved.

Any tape might work, but the teflon tape has no actual adhesive, so no residue. And it's very very thin and stretchable. Mine is white and about half an inch in width. Hope this helps, and avoids having to buy a new visor all together.

-Aviator
Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Nice, thanks for a great suggestion!

I'm adding this to my "to do" list
Old 08-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

What about heat shrink tubing?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Aviator
Advanced

I suppose it should work just fine. The basic idea I was shooting for was to increase the diameter of the visor rod just enough to cause an increase in friction. The teflon tape works well because it's so thin that you can apply it and test fit until it holds, without going too far and making it difficult to operate the visor.

My passenger visor was fine, so I only did this to the driver's side. And now they both feel and look identical. And the teflon tape I had around, but as I remember it was only a few dollars, so isn't a wallet killer. Plus, it's damn handy to have around to wrap any threads you want to be able to unscrew later. Just remember that it decreases the amount to torque that the screw can provide because the teflon acts like a lubricant, bad to use on lug nuts or brake caliper bolts. Good on cosmetic and non-stressed threads.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Teflon tape is about $1 at home depot, so definately no wallet-killer there!!!

I'm off to pick up my 951 from the garagr later on today... Maybe I'll see if there's a spare saggy visor there for me to try this out on... I don't feel totally comfortable pulling my exixting "not-too-saggy" visor to bits in case things worsen as a result of my putzing around... after all, we don't necessarily know yet how long this fix lasts...

I'll keep ya posted though! :thumb:

Keith
Old 08-28-2007, 02:47 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great tips. luckily i havnt needed to do this yet. but i do have a problem of my own.
and sorry for changing the topic.

the peice of the headliner between the sunroof and rear hatch has sagging vinyl. front and back edges. its so bad that you can see the wood through the back window. i tried using some elmers glue in an aerosol can. but even after an hour of sitting, it didnt hold.

any suggestions????
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Headliner adhesive, comes in a spray can. Mask it off, spray onto the contact surfaces, allow to set for 5 minutes, press together and push out bubbles / make sure surfaces contact. That stuff is wicked strong.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Aviator
Advanced

2nd on the contact cement, or even try fabric glue. Always make sure to follow the curing directions.

As for pulling the visor, as long as it's in its stowed position, up all the way, it pulls right out with a little force. The tab on the rod the guides the visor when it's pulled down has a track in the visor housing that's made to come all the way out. If it doesn't feel right, try moving the visor up and down ever so slightly and making sure the tab is in the track to be removed. If there's time tonight I'll take mine off and snap a few pics.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

couldnt you just put a magnet on the headliner and visor so they stick together?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Aviator
Advanced

Ha! that's a great idea too, but I'd hate to pull off the roof liner, and I tried to see if I could take apart the visor, but it looks sealed together. The look of exposed magnets would drive me nuts, but those little neodymium magnets are really small and they might do the trick and be well hidden. Maybe hide the magnet on the roof on the sunroof latch?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

My car presently has velcro... It works, but I'm after the 'firm' fix...

Keith
Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 AM
kmckmc
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default fix for droopy 944 968 sun visor.

9447314370001C ,Sun Visor Bracket - Black

This is the part I replaced for the droopy sun visor (LHD, driver's side). It works, and it is not expensive. A new visor is over 100USD. Even though the plastic bag has the #9447314370001C, but the part inside still has a # 944.731.031.01

I did compare the droopy visor bracket and the new one. Please see the above picture. Sure, there is a difference.

Cheers,
Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Digging up this thread as I'm searching for replacement sun visor brackets for my 944 S2.

I see KMC above ordered #9447314370001C which included the left side sun visor bracket. I'm trying to find the equivalent part number for the right side bracket but can't see the part in PET.

Would anyone know the part or can you tell me how to identify the bracket part number specifically?

Quick Reply: Sagging sunvisor fix