Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunk when accelerating from stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clunk when accelerating from stop

What is the likely cause. Today got my car back from the shop, had the tbelt adjusted and a 4 wheel allignment and now there is a clunk from the back of my car.

When I accelerate from a stop the clunk is heard when I engage the clutch and start accelerating. Feels like right when the clutch engages there is a clunk from the rear of the car and it goes away after that.

no clunk when shifting to second or third or 4th or 5th, just a clunk when I lift the clutch pedal and acclerate.

the faster I accelerate from a stop the mor noticable the clunk is.

Also I was driving in a hilly area and the clunk was more noticable when accerating from 1st on a hill.

just went for a quick drive to the store and the clunk is now gone? weird.

what is likely causing this? I haven't driven a manual for very long but I don't think it's my driving that caused the clunks or maybe it is?

I rolled back on a few steep hills today and stalled the car once lol, need to get used to the manual transmission again.

but I still doubt it's my driving causing the clunks, I did not rev and drop the clutch hard.

also once I thought I heard teh clunk from under my shifter area and the rear but I"m not sure.

I have sound insulation installed all over the backseat and over the torque tube and I still hear the clunk coming from the rear.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might want to check to see if your spare tire came loose or maybe the jack
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
might want to check to see if your spare tire came loose or maybe the jack
Never would have thought of that!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I went through this same problem too. Everytime from a stop, id get a clunk in the back. Never figured out what it was... or maybe I did.

It happened randomly, but more often than not.

Until finally, my one day I put my car in third, and all I got was engine. Turned out it wasnt the transmission, or the clutch, or even the torque tube.

There is a little coupler between the transmission and the torque tube that connects the two. This was starting to strip, and the little teeth had play, causing the spleens on the transmission to make noise when they connected with the spleens on the torque tube, and hence, my clunk.

Replaced it. No more clunk.

YMMV
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 AM
76 911s
Racer

Its kind of hard to tell without hearing the clunk first hand, but maybe CV joints? Does it make the same clunk when you lift your foot off the accelerator? And for that rolling back problem, use your handbrake! Your clutch will thank you.

PS - Where in Vancouver are you located?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:31 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

think I'll have to bring it back to the shop to have them try and diagnose it. Maybe in a month or so, I've spent a lot of money on all my repairs so I want to drive it for a while lol

They clunk ONLY is heard when I accelerate froma stop. There is no clunk when I let off the gas or when I'm shifting.

there is just a distinct "clunk" when I engage the clutch and accelerate in first from a stop.

strange I drove it later and there was no clunk but all the way home there was the clunk whenever I accelerated from the light.

there is just one clunk not a continous clunking sound, just one "clunk" as the clutch engages.

hope it's not the torque tube or clutch. Once I swear I heard the clunk coming from under teh shfiter area but I"m pretty sure the clunking was mostly coming from the rear.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:33 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Originally Posted by 76 911s
Its kind of hard to tell without hearing the clunk first hand, but maybe CV joints? Does it make the same clunk when you lift your foot off the accelerator? And for that rolling back problem, use your handbrake! Your clutch will thank you.

PS - Where in Vancouver are you located?

I"m actually in Richmond, I picked up the car from Weissach today, got a 4 wheel allignment and the belts tensioned as I just did my oil pan gasket, motor mounts, control arms so it needed a tenion and an allignment.

the car was towed to the shop, used a dolly on the rear wheels so non of the wheels were rolling when it got towed.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

oh and to answer the first question no it's not the spare tire as I removed the spare tire.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Sometimes a 'clunk' comes from the back brakes and its not a big deal.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, I'd want to check the CV's closely, make sure the bolts aren't backing out - they often do.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

My CVS were fine. That was the first thing I checked, still couldnt figure it out. It ended up being that coupler.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had ALL of my outer CV bolts back out, 2 of them even broke off because they were getting hammered every time I gave it gas. The axle had been replaced before I got the car and apparently they did not torque it down properly. Took an entire day to fish out the broken bolts and get it back together. That was a loud noise but I heard it mainly right after I accelerated and let off the gas. The CV joint was just bouncing around there when the car was coasting.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:46 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

I had a clunk like that and it was loose rear wheel bearing nut... referred to as the gland nut.
It was loose and whenever I accelerated it would clunk...
Try jacking both rear wheels off the ground and put the car on safety stands.
Have someone put the car in gear and let the clutch out at idle.
Listen for the clunk.... DON'T GET UNDER THE CAR WHILE RUNNING!!!
Could also be a bad exhaust hanger...
JC
Old 08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy way to tell if it is the clutch (or rubber center) is to

jack it up
put in gear (not running)
remove coupler inspection cover
have a friend hold driver tire still
have another person or yourself turn passenger tire both directions

if it moves at all (the coupler) the rubber center is bad

My guess iis it is either a bad cv (but gennerally they make multiple noises) or
most likely a bad clutch center

If you drive around a lot with the bad center you will destroy your ring and pinion
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944

If you drive around a lot with the bad center you will destroy your ring and pinion

Amen to that !

Quick Reply: clunk when accelerating from stop