Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front nose/intercooler MOD

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007 | 10:15 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

The interior latch bracket that the pull cable mounts to was broke, just arrived yesterday, so it will close as of tonight >=)
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:16 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Is that gold the stock color? And are those the three piece bbs wheels? We demand more pictures!
Old 08-16-2007 | 02:25 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

OK, the lowdown on this car for those of you that havn't heard it all already. Have posted a few times with bits and pieces of the story, so here's the jist of it all.

Bought it from a lady who was getting divorced and moving back to Cali from North Carolina and couldn't take it with her. Stole if for $1700. 86 Turbo with only 90K on it.

Car details. Yes, it has the Gold 3 piece BBS wheels (missing a gold centercap if anyone has one!), the paint is not factory, the car was Brown on it's birthday and the PO had it repainted. Spent $3000 having it done the right way too (matches the wheels 100%). The car is B E A U T I F U L in person. Interior is clean aside from the normal dash cracks (came with a dashmat) and the drivers seat bolster tear (2" long) in the Porsche worded cloth seats.

Vehicle was purchased in non-running condition. From what i got from the lady, somewhere in Wyoming the car blew a head gasket. Took it to a shop and had a reman head put on, t-belts and head gasket. Little to the techs knowledge he needed a Porsche tool to set belt tension. He told the lady that he could not finish the repair, so the towed it behind a truck all the way to N Carolina from Wyom. And it sat for a year or so.

She found a P-car place here in Mooresville, NC that would look at it. They quoted her an un-godly amount of money just to tension the belts and get the car set up right so she had someone with a car dolly pick the car up. Now here's the problem with THAT...

They hooked up to the nose, and towed it in 5th gear for a few miles before noticing some smoke coming from the car. They stoped, found a small underhood fire (I am still trying to figure out how THAT happened), took the car out of gear, and started towing again. From what i can tell the fire was contained to the drivers side, right around the turbo area. So the hoodliner dropped all these little black melted rubber dots all over the place and melted vac. lines and the wiring harness pretty good.

I pulled the head off and found all 4 intake valves bent, and thank goodness only minor dings on the tops of the pistons. I've been wrenching for 12 years, including some work with Finlay Motorsports on thier Grand Am Cup cars and Rolex Daytona Prototypes, so luckily I have the skills to do the repairs myself.

So far replaced, Engine harness, vac. lines (all), 4 intake valves, all coolant hoses, sent injectors to be cleaned/built (WitchHunter), blow off valve, oil sender, re-sealed oil cooler, new p/s return line, new oil cooler hose, head gasket set, hood release cable and holder (thats why hood looks popped in pics) and probably some more stuff I forgot.

I just started re-assembling everything last night starting with the oil cooler, should have the head on by this weekend. I am so anxious to drive this thing, I've wanted one for the last 5+ years and had this one land in my lap and could not pass up an oppertunity to buy a car for $1700, put $1500 into it, and have a low milage car, in great shape, that could be worth $9000+. Since buying it I wake up at night and can't sleep because I feel like I should be working on it... Man I love P-cars!! I hope to see you guys next year at the 944fest with a smooth running car! And thanks to all of you for the help and answered questions. I would have never found some of the parts I was looking for without you!

-Doug
Old 08-16-2007 | 02:44 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

looks like maybe the rears are on the front/ fronts on rear.
Old 08-16-2007 | 02:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

These wheels are just wide as hell...
Old 08-16-2007 | 03:27 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I think the issue with the wheels is that all 4 are 8in wide with 11 offset, so they stick out on the front. The front is what my car looked like when I test fit the rears or the front, so I bet you have 16×8 wheels on all four corners. The dishes are still deep in the rear, so I doubt those are the fronts in back.

When messing around with mine I realized that if I could get some different rim halves the wheels could easily be an inch wider on the inside halves on the front, two inches on the back, and keep the stock outer rim halves and the dish look. Unfortunatly the 8in wide rears are a different offset than the 7in fronts (11 rear, 23 front), to the extent that the rears are a half inch wider than the fronts on each side. So if you try to run the 8in 11 offset rears in the front they stick out a half inch to far and give you fender clearance issues, like in the picture. of course they made the wheels in different offsets that fit the front, but then you loose the deep dish look. Not to mention how hard they are to find, and how expensive they are.

I have the same wheels (well, my fronts are 7in wide). They are awesome wheels on these cars. My car isn't completely painted to match the wheels, but has two pin stripes going down the side that are the color of the polished lips and then the gold centers.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:45 PM
moorepower
Pro

$1700?!?! Helluva find
....and in NC too. Lucky I didn't find it first.
Old 08-16-2007 | 10:24 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

It was never a public sale, she called me to find the phone number to the P-car shop in town >=) I asked her what she had, and it was mine. Lucky!
Old 08-16-2007 | 10:29 PM
moorepower
Pro

Seriously lucky. That's a beautiful car. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 08-17-2007 | 01:14 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

As of midnight, the head is now back on, oil cooler all sealed up, hood now CLOSES! I'm done for a few days, need the engine harness to get here, and chase/replace vacuum lines that are no longer there b4 I go too far!!
Old 08-17-2007 | 07:29 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Any car made from July onward is considered to be of next year's model year. Therefore a car made in August 1985 is a 1986 car.
Old 08-17-2007 | 12:28 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I think mine is october of 85. So hurray for the 85.5 turbo's!
Old 08-17-2007 | 12:34 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i have 15mm rear spacers on my car to space the 16x8's in the rear to match the fronts. If they are not all 8's then they must be reversed.
Old 08-17-2007 | 01:03 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Yeah, as I said, it is the offset of the wheels. Because they aoe only an 11 offset, they stick out past the fender on the front. The rear had the 1/2" of clearance around the stock tires, so these wheels push the tires out to fill in that gap perfectly in the rear fenders, but they are just too wide for the front fenders with the 11 offset. I suppose he could use a spacer to run none or negative offset so the rears stick out past the fenders equally, but otherwise he can't do anything.

Of course, if he has different wheel sizes, then feel to completely ignore me. lol
Old 08-17-2007 | 01:42 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

I never thought much ab out you guys argueing about my wheels, but after a few posts I started to get interested. So to ease your minds, I went out and measured the wheel widths. I only had the wheels off once and I put them right back where they came from. The two I measured were the right front and right rear, and it would appear that they ARE mixed up. front measured 9.5" and the rear 8.5". They PO was talking about how great it handled..... imagine what it will do with the wheels in the right place!! I may not have caught this for a while - so a thanks is in order!! Never take for granted that the PO has things right to begin with!!

Quick Reply: Front nose/intercooler MOD