Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions on my 84 / 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions on my 84 / 944

Hey guys,

So my car idles decent after a very long time of having sat for at least 2 years (prior to me buying it) I've replaced a LOT of stuff. Enough stuff that if I added up all the money, I could have had a mint condition 951 Turbo! haha..

Ok, here goes:

1 - After the car warms up, I get a rattling from the center of the car. It's not coming from the engine compartment at all, and it's not coming from the fuel pump. When I tap the muffler with a screw driver, the exhaust quiets for a split second. It's not the muffler, so I suspect it's probably the catalytic converter. Would you guys agree? What's the best CFM catalytic converter to install on my 84 / 944 since I have to replace it anyway? I'm thinking something along the lines of 400-450cfm.

2 - I installed a new (used) radiator fan / shroud assembly that I snagged from the junkyard this weekend. At what temperature should the radiator fan come on? The engine took about 15-20 minutes of idling, but it finally reached the mid-way point, and the fan had still not come on. It SLOWLY creeped just past the mid-way point, so I turned on the A/C **** (which immediately turned on the other fan) and then the engine idled (indefinately) a couple of tics BEFORE the half-way mark.

3 - When the car is idling, I'll goose the throttle a bit to see how the response is. The engine hesitates significantly, and seems to just be all over the place as I attempt to reach 3,000 rpms. It'll get there, but it's all jittery and hesitates. FYI, I have new plugs, wires, cap / rotor, fuel filter, and reference sensors.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

1) check the cat's heatshield, mine rattled due to a missing screw.

2) fans will come on with the OEM thermostat when they get to the marker immediately right of the center of the heat gauge.

3) check your AFM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
1) check the cat's heatshield, mine rattled due to a missing screw.

2) fans will come on with the OEM thermostat when they get to the marker immediately right of the center of the heat gauge.

3) check your AFM.

Thanks V2, I'll check it out... although:

1) My catalytic converter is an aftermarket one, and it appears to have it's own heat shield welded to it? Is the one you're talking about bolted to the car?

2) Damn, mine didn't come on when it hit the 1/2 mark. Sounds like maybe my temperature fan-switch isn't doing what it's supposed to. Renn-Bay???

3) So, you definitely think that's the AFM then? I did remove the one I had, cleaned it, and installed it with a new air cleaner and gasket. I also oiled it too. Is there anything else I can do? Or do I simply just need to get a new one? This car gives the same symptoms that a newer car with a bad MAF would, so I think you're right.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

The shield I refer to is bolted...also, check the rubber exhaust hangers. They harden over time and rattle and make your car sound like mine

The fans should come on AFTER the half mark.

Maybe the AFM just got tweaked (bent out of shape etc), play with it a bit and if it doesn't work get another one.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions on my 84 / 944