Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IT RUNS!!!! YEAH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT RUNS!!!! YEAH!!!!

Well, I haven't posted here for a while, so I figured I'd give a quick summary.

Got drunk, bought a 944 sight unseen off eBay. Towed it down from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale with a Crown Victoria. I managed to get it running after replacing the starter and hard-wiring the battery to the fuel pump (just for testing). Car ran "ok", but not all that great. Since it ran, I felt OK about re-doing the interior. Previous owner used a spray bomb to paint the brown interior black. After a couple of months, I had replaced every single thing inside the interior. (everything). The dash, seats, carpet, panels, everything. New window gaskets, gauges, everything...

After finishing the interior, the car would no longer start.

Turns out... it was those pesky sensors. I was told by a few people it might be the ECM, or the alarm, or all those other things, except one post I made where someone suggested to me I replace the reference sensors!

Well, that was it!!! I replaced BOTH sensors (I accidentaly lost one of the screws, damnit!) and the car started RIGHT up after having not started it in almost 8 months. I didn't use any starting fluid, nothing.. started right up! It died after about 5 seconds, but I started it again, and it cranked to life, and idled perfectly! It's absolutely amazing just how important those sensors are!!!

Anyway, I'm THRILLED. The car idled at about 1,300 rpms, which seems a bit high to me, but there's probably a vacuum leak I'll have to take care of when I get some time. The oil pressure gauge also sat at "6" bar, which seems awesome for near-idle rpms.

If anyone's curious on my progress or wants to see pictures of my "restoration", you can check them out here:

www.PontiacPerformance.net

Go to "Current Cars" and then select 1984 Porsche 944.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweeeeeeeet. good work! I assume you're talking about the speed and reference sensors... and yes, as you now know, they're VERY important.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

man you just have your hands on everything dont you! Interior looks good.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

They say you shouldn't go grocery shopping while you're hungry ... I'm guessing it can't be wise to hit eBay while toasted!

Anyway congrats on getting everything worked out!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments.

Now I can focus on really finishing up the car and making it look nice.

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to try to paint it myself...

I still have the power sunroof to fix too... but the parts for that are a little expensive and I have a few other projects pulling at my wallet.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Got drunk, bought a 944 sight unseen off eBay.
I have so many stories that start off exactly the same way. . .

Quick Reply: IT RUNS!!!! YEAH!!!!