Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2500 dually with no brakes going downhill vs. Porsche 944, and the winner is...(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you dont think that you can just buf.... gah nevermind

you have my condolences, glad you are ok
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

damn dude!! glad you are okay. thats a crazy story !!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Stormchaser
Track Day

I'm also very glad you're okay, man.

Question: (not that it really matters, but...) How did your car get to look like it was in a head-on accident? Weren't you turning left? I expected the pics to show all the damage on the passenger side.

In 2001, I wrecked my beloved '89 Nissan 240SX by driving into a flooded section of road in Texas and crashing into a sheriff's deputy's cruiser that was stalled in the flood. Sucked. Nobody hurt, though. I replaced it with my '94 968.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus christ!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

That looked like a HARD impact to say the least .. lucky for you it was a glancing blow , if that thing had hit you square I hate to think what would have happened.
The thing I hate about north americam cars is that "parking brake on the floor , gives you no control. and if you can actually find it in an emergency it locks up your wheels. a good hand brake would have allowed him to slip it to neutral ( keeping the engine running allowing power steering, ) and with the button pushed in on the hand brake could have modulated it to a stop. In terms of accidents this one was not instantaneous from his perspective , better design and driver training cold have saved you and your car ....
Glad you weren't hurt, and as was spoken , it was just a car.. now go get a 911....
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 AM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

Fuch man thats ****ty. At least no one was hurt. Count your blessings, it could have been alot worse.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Thats good that everyone was able to walk away. The driver of the truck was probably ****ting his pants and was too panicked to slap on the E-brake. Those "why dont I have brakes" situations are a pretty big adrenaline rush.

You dont have to give up btw. My car was recovered from an incident like this. Obviously the PO loved the car a little too much - so he chopped off the front end at the firewall and welded a completely new front clip and frame rails into the car- top notch job too as my alignment values are dead on center on all the adjustments. The welds do make the car a little less stiff in the front end so extra structure was added along with a strut-bar to compensate making it heavier than all the other 944's but just as stiff.

Again- Im glad you and your mother were not injured badly, best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:36 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn dude, that's so pooey! glad you're OK, and I don't care what you say, but you should definatley get into another 944.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

That's a rougher impact than I thought, but I was thinking it would've been more dead on the passenger side. Glad to hear that there weren't any broken bones at least.

I was in a situation similar to what the guy with the truck was in back in high school. Going down the biggest hill in town, brakes on my Olds went out, light at the bottom was red, AND a friend from high school was crossing the street since he had the green signal. I still managed to stop the car in time by downshifting from D and easing on the parking brake but I really had to because there was a sharp S curve just past the light.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Your description and the pictures are really scary! I'm glad you were so well protected by your car and live to tell the story. Hopefully you and your mom won't have any long term problems from the forces in the accident.

All the best!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Royalty
Banned

Originally Posted by Stormchaser
I'm also very glad you're okay, man.

Question: (not that it really matters, but...) How did your car get to look like it was in a head-on accident? Weren't you turning left? I expected the pics to show all the damage on the passenger side.

In 2001, I wrecked my beloved '89 Nissan 240SX by driving into a flooded section of road in Texas and crashing into a sheriff's deputy's cruiser that was stalled in the flood. Sucked. Nobody hurt, though. I replaced it with my '94 968.
haha yea it looks like a head on but trust me it was a side swiping type hit. I'm assuming he tried to squeeze between me and my dad. Considering how wide his truck is and since it is a dually it has an even wider rear fenders it caught me and spun me around.

How did you mange to hit a cop and then buy a porsche? Thought the court wouldve been all "fire and brim stone" if you harm any one of their officers.

Thank you all, We really appreciate your support.

Its funny that my mother and I would comment on the noise that eh doors made where they were closed. That nice solid noise, kinda like the 944 was a mini tank. Had I been in my stratus I'm sure the outcome would have been way different.

It proved itself that day. I love and miss my 944.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Im convinced the tank could live on. I mean its totalled - but its also only worth 3K. For 3K Im pretty sure I could fix that Dont give up on driving a 944. If you get rid of this one - go buy a turbo!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

well now you have an excuse to step up to a turbo, you lucky dog
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Glad you're okay.

at least you've got an opportunity to go look for another porsche.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Stormchaser
Track Day

Originally Posted by Royalty
How did you mange to hit a cop and then buy a porsche? Thought the court wouldve been all "fire and brim stone" if you harm any one of their officers.
I would say that the cops understood that it was a dangerous environment. A nasty storm had just passed (hence the reason I was in the area), and it was after sunset. There were a few other accidents nearby as well. I didn't see the water until too late. They did ticket me, but just for "failure to control vehicle". The ticket only cost me something like $60. Also, depending on the individual constabularies, stormchasers sometimes catch a break from LEO's. We're out there risking our necks to get data ("ground truth") to the Nat'l Weather Service to, among other things, save lives, including those of LEO's. You should see the "sigh of relief" expressions on their faces sometimes when we show up at a storm and can advise them about what the storm's doing and how dangerous it may be.

Quick Reply: 2500 dually with no brakes going downhill vs. Porsche 944, and the winner is...(pics)