Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting a 968... what mechanical work should I do off the bat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 06:10 PM
saxman
Instructor

Default Finally getting a 968... what mechanical work should I do off the bat?

So I'm hopefully picking up the 968 on Wednesday, and am trying to compile a list of everything I should replace off the bat to ensure plenty of trouble free driving. Let me start out by saying that the car has up to date maintenance, etc, so stuff like belts/rollers need not be on the list.

Here's what I'm thinking...

cap/rotor/plugs/wires
clutch master/slave/stainless line
k&n air filter(might as well do the airbox mod while I'm at it)
fuel filter
dme relay
heater control valve
spark plug seals(as the one on the car are leaking)
replace all the fluids
clean all the grounds

should I be replacing all the heater hoses(is it paragon or rsbarn that sells the hose kit)?
same with vacuum hoses

run-rite?

any other suggestions?

none of these are items that actually have anything wrong with them, just trying to refresh all the common points of failure before something goes wrong
Old 07-29-2007 | 07:34 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Sounds pretty good. Replace DME relay on the list with vacuum lines, they're more troublesome.
Old 07-29-2007 | 10:01 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

when I got my 968, after the initial euphoria "test" drives, the first thing was to really go over all the "dealer" service records. 'Cause the next thing I did was to get the car up on jacks and go through every bolt that the dealer touched. You would be shocked at the number of missing nuts, bolts, loose bolts (my passenger and I were stumped when we heard a loud bang and thump on a twisty 2 lane mountain road - turned out that all 4 - 19mm crossmember bolts were loose and 2 were backed out a few turns!)

Anyway, besides the front crossmember bolts that were loose - I found a loose torque tube/bellhousing bolt, loose header - exhaust bolts and 1 loose front caliper!! This was 2 weeks after I saw the car at the dealer with the motor out getting a rear main seal replaced on service warranty. I suspect the dealer was so cheesed at having to redo the RMS after 5 months that they threw it all together as they knew the car was being sold.

Get the service manual out and check all those torque settings! Have fun - the 968 is a great car - rare in the company of all those 986's around town.
Old 07-30-2007 | 02:21 AM
saxman
Instructor

Ah, the pleasure of dealerships. I will never take my car to one again.

I'll definetely go through and check over everything. I imagine doing something like replacing all the vacuum or heater lines will give me a chance to go over most everything.
Old 07-30-2007 | 02:24 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol I don't really trust taking my car anywhere.

I've talked to some mechanics and know for a fact that they do not use torque wrench even on suspension or engine parts. They said the only thing they use a torque wrench on is pretty much the headgasket...... everything else they just make it tight lol.
Old 07-30-2007 | 02:34 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Default Come out for the PCA BBC drives on Sat morning

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
lol I don't really trust taking my car anywhere.

I've talked to some mechanics and know for a fact that they do not use torque wrench even on suspension or engine parts. They said the only thing they use a torque wrench on is pretty much the headgasket...... everything else they just make it tight lol.
Yikes, yet another Canuck... in Van too!
Come out for the BBC drives and meet up with a bunch of gearheads - lots of 944, 951, 968's around this area. check out

http://www.pca-cwr.org/index.php?mod..._position=12:7
Old 07-30-2007 | 03:20 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

what's the mileage?
Old 07-30-2007 | 03:54 AM
saxman
Instructor

clutch, belts, rollers, waterpump, etc were all replaced in the past 5k miles or so
variocam was recently inspected
rear shocks aren't leaking
etc
Old 07-30-2007 | 04:33 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

variocam was 'inspected'? I think you should inspect it yourself to be safe... especially after hearing some of those stories about stealerships.

Also, don't do the airbox mod. Chris and I measured the input and output openings of the airbox and they have almost exactly the same area, so cutting holes in the box isn't going to allow any more airflow. The only advantage to cutting holes, IMHO, is for increased intake sound. And if you want intake sound, you should either switch to a cone filter, or just remove the snorkel from the front of the airbox.

At any rate, if you want to do the airbox mod anyway, please let me know and maybe we can trade airboxes. I did the mod to my box and I wish I could undo it.
Old 07-30-2007 | 05:14 AM
saxman
Instructor

I'll inspect it again... just saying, it was recently inspected by an indepedent shop(not a dealership)

Have you done flow testing or dyno testing suggesting it doesn't make a difference? I've seen evidence suggesting it does.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:09 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

As you inspect the variocam the spark plug rings can be replaced. (duh)
I would also replace the o2 sensor, check the status of the cv joints, status of the sway bar bushings.
I think that about covers it.
All the tests that I've seen on the airbox mod also have a chip designed for the mod but like arash said it's mostly a sound thing. I actually rather like the deeper sound.
Don't forget to order some sunroof gears, just in case, when you buy all those replacement parts.
By the way, where are you located?
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:19 AM
saxman
Instructor

I live in Pacifica, just south of San Francisco... so quite close to you... I guess it's time to update the 'ol profile

o2 sensor is a good idea... if anything to boost up gas mileage.

I'll definitely be going over the car with a fine tooth comb, just trying to get a list of the things that I want to start with.

I'm sure a chip will be done at some point, right now the primary goal is to just get things up to where they should be.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:28 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I'm off work on Tue Wed and I wouldn't mind commin over to hang out.
Then you can hear what the airbox mod sounds like and you can make a decision on whether or not you want to do it.
Arash you should come too, then we can finally meet in person.
Old 07-30-2007 | 06:36 AM
saxman
Instructor

I'm actually headed down to so cal wednesday to pick up the car... it's not in my possesion yet

another time I'd be happy to... I actually may be driving through vacaville thursday evening
Old 07-30-2007 | 12:19 PM
mick944
Instructor

Default Congratulations!

Just saying congratulations on picking up a 968.I'm sure you will love it.I've had mine for 2 yrs and still concock reasons why I should drive it just about every day.I think they had it figured out with these because I have done next to nothing(repair wise) with mine.I've got 78,000 on the OD and it runs great(did install a chip which did make a difference in performance).I do carry a spair DME(appears to be the only buggaboo that I know of with them).As far as upgrades I installed the clear turnsignal lens on the front which I think is a huge cosmetic enhancement.Other than that it is just as it rolled out of the factory.Enjoy,they are made to be driven.

Quick Reply: Finally getting a 968... what mechanical work should I do off the bat?