Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics from P2O???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a first class event. Loads of great cars that always inspire me to keep up on the maintenence. I had to drive a bit further this year than last, but it was worth it. Thanks to Dan, we had a nice little 951 section going. Here come the pics...

It was good seeing everyone again!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 AM
959Lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the name was OBVIOUSLY stolen from the big(ger) VW event.... weak...
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

never heard of it...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 959Lover
the name was OBVIOUSLY stolen from the big(ger) VW event.... weak...

Aaah such valuable and helpful information you provide in each post. Thank you, sir. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Ah - Mr. 959 Lover;
The event was originally named Porsches to Pinkney (P2P) by Bill & Marrilyn Roe, as the first gathering was held at the Blue Martini in Pinkney, MI. The site was eventually changed to Oxford, Ohio (after the Blue Martini bar burnt down, amoung other things), and renamed P20. A very home-grown affair.
Alan
Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Cars look great guys! Wish this stuff was closer or I would have been right there with ya. Looks like a huge turn out with all sorts of Porsches there. By chance any Carrera GT's?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there was rumor of a cgt but i never saw one.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM
959Lover
Racer

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Aaah such valuable and helpful information you provide in each post. Thank you, sir. Thank you.
No problem

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Ah - Mr. 959 Lover;
The event was originally named Porsches to Pinkney (P2P) by Bill & Marrilyn Roe, as the first gathering was held at the Blue Martini in Pinkney, MI. The site was eventually changed to Oxford, Ohio (after the Blue Martini bar burnt down, amoung other things), and renamed P20. A very home-grown affair.
Alan
Ah, I was wondering why there were aircooled's. I thought it started out as a water cooled event and just went bigger. Thanks for the info. I thought it was named after the watercooled VW meet "h2o"
Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Smokin, What made you go over to Western Campus and take pictures in front of Peabody Hall? That was my freshman dorm. Co-ed upperclass dorm with a few freshman from the Architecture program. Great place to have a quick introduction to the freedoms and pleasures of college life.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks to everyone who came to the event. I continue to be amazed at the great attitude and spirit that everyone brings to it. Its a year long project and the goal is to make sure everyone has a good time and goes home feeling like their $20 was the best bargain all summer.

Unfortunately I didnt have time to vote, but in looking at the cars, most of the ones I singled out in my mind ended up getting a brick. I can only assume you guys stuffed the ballot box for me b/c I had no business winning anything.

KASTURBO was a shoe-in. I had plans to talk to the owner of that car, but he must have been out and about looking at the other hardware. Tremendous car.

All of us were blown away at the turnout. Late Friday night with the weather, we were privately hoping we could get 200 cars to show up which would be 20 less than last year. The weather was not good and we felt it was gonna keep a lot of people home, especially those who travel out of state. We had 250 preregistered and figured 75 wouldnt show, and we'd get 20-30 to register the day of the show.

Turns out, we ended up with 254 cars showing up and only 30 or so who preregistered elected not to come. We made up for those with Saturday registrations that canceled them out. Were the weather sunny, we'd have gotten close to the 300 goal. Under the circumstances, we considered it an unmitigated success.

Congrats to all the people who won Tom Toms, Mid Ohio Driving School vouchers, Griots car care kits, framed prints from Beechmont Porsche, and other prizes. To the few of you who left early and had your number called and forfeited your big prize -- you made a couple other attendees extremely happy.

I talked to PCA President Prescott Kelly shortly after the awards and hes personally gonna write an article for Pano (finally!!). Its been 3 years of begging and they kept ignoring us, but we knew it he came, there'd be no way he could turn us down.

Of note, the black 356 Speedster that won Best of Show won a Top-25 award last year. The owner had the car at Stoddards Imports toward Cleveland for almost two years of restoration and got the car back 48hrs before last years show. This year the bean counters tell me the car had 15-20 more votes than any other car. You wont find a more perfect Speedster anywhere in the country. The owner said the BofS was "completely unexpected." Good for him!

I should have some pics up on the www.porsches2oxford.com web site before the end of the week. The video may be a few weeks away as Im working on another project at the moment.

Good to see many of you including Antonio, Dan, Jared, Wade, and others. You folks are the funniest cats I know. The laughs are endless. You are all sick in the head, and thats a good thing.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

RDL,
We went over to peabody because the owner of the white 944 in the photos, Nelson (aka hockeydude), will be attending Miami this fall and living in that building. Small world! We were trying to sneak in to see his room, but his ID has not been activated yet (not really surprising).
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I also thought it might be somehow related to H2O...

Whoa, a lot of nice Porsches there. I've never seen such nice 944 NAs in person... and I would have liked to take a closer look at that turbo 928.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UDPride
Congrats to all the people who won Tom Toms, Mid Ohio Driving School vouchers, Griots car care kits, framed prints from Beechmont Porsche, and other prizes. To the few of you who left early and had your number called and forfeited your big prize -- you made a couple other attendees extremely happy.
Yeah apparently I won a Tom Tom, I didn't hear my name but, my buddy did. He phoned me and I went to claim it but, they had started to give out the awards, so I hung back and let them finish, only to find out that it had been given to someone else. We were told that we should just check throughout the day to see if we had won anything, unfortunately we weren't told that it would be given to someone else if we didn't get it before the awards started. In the literature it did say "you must be present to win", I didn't know that meant that you had stand beside the speaker all day.

I know it's not your fault and that it wasn't done on purpose but, it defiantly made my weekend a little crappier.

It was a beautiful day and awesome turn out. I do wish there had been classes for the different types of cars. Out of the 20% or so of cars that were of the 924/944/968 series only one received an award. Maybe everyone could pick their top three of each series.

I guess overall this is how I felt after the whole Tom Tom thing.

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Actually, the regular door prizes awarded all day could be claimed at any time during the day by checking at the bandshell. I know several names that were called a half dozen times and prizes picked up hours after they were named.

But the large prizes like the Tom Tom, the Mid Ohio school voucher, Elms Hotel prize, and Griots Cleaning Kit you had to be at the bandshell with the other 500 people listening for your name as it was "a live event" so to speak when the awards were also being handed out.

Whenever someones name was called and no one emerged, everybody started clapping so folks had another lease on life to win it!

The good news is, you have a sense of direction like no one else, and probably didnt need it?

We did classes in the first year, but it was a disaster. Because its festival parking (and 99% do not want this changed), it was almost impossible for people to walk the whole downtown and figure out which cars were in which classes b/c they were not parked next to each other. The window placards specified it, but you had to keep a running tab in your head on what prior cars in the class you had seen in other parts of the streets. This was the biggest complaint from year 1. The biggest from last year was nobody knew which cars won, so we had them park in the middle this time.

356s are always gonna do well, especially good ones. We get as many 356s as just about anywhere and most are pretty tight. Im not sure if a 928 won an award or not. Dan87951 took home Best Wheels last year.

awards are a crapshoot. Last year I finished 6th of 8 cars in my class at a show where the year before I was first.

ironically the biggest question mark for us was whether awarding bricks would work or whether people would look at us like we're out of our mind for handing out a piece of masonry. in the end, this got the most compliments. it always works out like that -- things you think will tank end up being great and things you thought were a good idea end up being disasters!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

UD, I'm undecided about the festival parking, but I THINK it does seem a little more fun that way. It almost seems like with so many 356's they should be separately judged in some way, but then again I am just not a 356 guy.... You wouldn't have heard me complaining if 15 951's won So what, I biased.

As far as people to meet at the show, you are right about Kasturbo... He is a class act, and if anyone deserved to win, he did. Porsche events would be more fun if more people were as laid back as Kevin. I think he has one of the best 951's in the country and I don't think I have ever heard him brag about it. He even gets mad when I call mine a parts car in front of him LOL.

I saw your car there, I was hoping to introduce myself as I have seen your 930 at the Immke show but never caught up with you. Nice Car!!

You guys have a neat event going, and hopefully Kyle can get over the Tom Tom thing so we can come back next year... Maybe even get into town a little earlier on friday to meet up with others.

Quick Reply: Pics from P2O???